ST. STEVEN

James White 2020 Outlook

Very under-ranked option at this point. 28 yrs old and in the last season of his current contract. No Brady for those short targets, but Stidham might not be a big downgrade either?

They got a few TEs in the mid rounds, but no WRs...targets should fall right in line where they have been in recent seasons, maybe even more considering game scripts should work more in his favor. 2018 might be a big outlier (RB7 overall in PPR) but last year he still managed a top 20 RB season last year and his early ADP is quite palatable. Getting him as your RB3 or as a flex option could be profitable.

8 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Love owing this guy in PPR, very steady option

Yes, he WAS very steady with Tom...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He will still be the usual PPR beast with the Pats new starting QB throwing lots of short passes. 

2 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

He will still be the usual PPR beast with the Pats new starting QB throwing lots of short passes. 

How can you assume that he will be throwing lots of short passes?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

PPR beast? Dude was RB18 in my PPR league last season (good but not a beast), and who's to say the gameplan will stay the same with Stidham?

Noticed a Scott Barrett tweet last night:

White averaged 19.3 FPG in losses last season, 11.2 FPG in wins.

Though he did average half a target more per game in the wins.

I think he was overdrafted (obv after his huge 2018) last year, but it coming at a fairly substantial bargain rate currently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 10:10 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Noticed a Scott Barrett tweet last night:

White averaged 19.3 FPG in losses last season, 11.2 FPG in wins.

Though he did average half a target more per game in the wins.

I thnk that he was overdrafted (obv after his huge 2018) last year, but it coming at a fairly substantial bargain rate currently.

He was unreachable for me last year.  He came off the board way too soon imo.  Agree with the overdrafted comment.  New England is going to be an interesting offense to invest in this year.  The scheme is going to play to Stidham's strengths - one of which is mobility.  Could be a very creative compared to year's past.  Not sure how White fits into all of this other than being a great slot receiver and backfield option.  Will be targeting around 3-5th RB.  4th RB is the sweet spot.  I haven't done any analysis though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

He was unreachable for me last year.  He came off the board way too soon imo.  Agree with the overdrafted comment.  New England is going to be an interesting offense to invest in this year.  The scheme is going to play to Stidham's strengths - one of which is mobility.  Could be a very creative compared to year's past.  Not sure how White fits into all of this other than being a great slot receiver and backfield option.  Will be targeting around 3-5th RB.  4th RB is the sweet spot.  I haven't done any analysis though. 

Just one small snapshot (and not aware of his actual ADP currently) but he was taken at 7.1 in myFFPC best ball the other week. Insane value, esp considering how RBs were (and are) flying off the board. A few people have tried getting him from me in my 16 team PPR dynasty, but nothing I even considered pulling the trigger on. We start 2 RB and have 2 flex spots and I am very fortunate in a league that deep to have White as a match-up flex after my main 3 RBs of Barkley/Kamara/A Jones.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Just one small snapshot (and not aware of his actual ADP currently) but he was taken at 7.1 in myFFPC best ball the other week. Insane value, esp considering how RBs were (and are) flying off the board. A few people have tried getting him from me in my 16 team PPR dynasty, but nothing I even considered pulling the trigger on. We start 2 RB and have 2 flex spots and I am very fortunate in a league that deep to have White as a match-up flex after my main 3 RBs of Barkley/Kamara/A Jones.

Yup...that is baller.  I like to structure my roster with three viable full time, load-wielding RB options.  Then, I have Mr. White as a flex option who brings a decent floor and some nice upside on a week to week basis.  It's tough to find a RB with the type of role and consistency year-over-year that White has.  Seventh round is a great time to buy on him.  

Edited by dudewithabadcat
  • Like 1

Obviously it was a small sample but in the losses last season (4 to be exact) he averaged close to 20 pts per game, vegas over/under is 8.5. Said total appears to be skewed by a 37.7 pt outing so it was a good think I checked and didn't blindly follow that info I read. Also New England backfield as a whole put up the 3rd most fantasy pts last year, Chargers 1st, Panthers 2nd then Patriots, like many years there will probably be value to be had but who said value is will be the hard part.

Haven't seen anyone say it yet (on da twitter) but he seems like he might be the single biggest beneficiary of a Cam led NE offense--given it's current make up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Haven't seen anyone say it yet (on da twitter) but he seems like he might be the single biggest beneficiary of a Cam led NE offense--given it's current make up.

Nah, This benefits Michel and Harris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Nah, This benefits Michel and Harris

I think it benefits the backfield in general, sure. IF Cam is right with his foot, he can extend plays at an elite level...that allows White to run his routes and work open underneath against LBs for big chunks of yardage.

Posted (edited)

Curious to see how this impacts the RBs.  CMC got plenty of targets in 2018-2019 with Cam, but it's CMC.  Prior to his arrival, the RB position wasn't targeted much at all, but that was with a combo of Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart and Mike Tolbert.  James White certainly isn't CMC, but he's better in the receiving game than those 3 guys.  

I think I look at the Cam signing as a wash for James White.  I think having Cam at QB will be better for the offense overall, so more drives, longer drives, more scoring, etc.  But some of those RB check downs now become QB rushing attempts.  

Pats still have a solid defense, and BB loves his RBBC.  

Edited by Fort4242

I'd go ahead and say Cam is going to help benefit a lot of the running attack.  I forgot what the % were but basically it was pretty solid confirmation that when Michel was out there, it was run.  If White was out there, it was pass.  With Cam, I can imagine that they can be much more creative with White in the game.  I'd go ahead and even say that Harris might pop above Michel at some point in the depth chart.  

With key defensive players from Pats opting out, Pats defense will prolly give up more points. 

Could that benefit James White?  I believe so. Plus, Cam also likes to target rbs, so I think James White should be moved up in the rankings. Maybe rb2...?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CViewPride35 said:

With key defensive players from Pats opting out, Pats defense will prolly give up more points. 

Could that benefit James White?  I believe so. Plus, Cam also likes to target rbs, so I think James White should be moved up in the rankings. Maybe rb2...?

Wasn't the narrative that Cam DIDN'T like to target his RB's prior to CMC ? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

So many narratives, so little time.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mmcc1029 said:

Maybe... dont really remember. Seems like a long time ago. However, recent years showed he preferred to dink and dunk his way down the field, a lot like the Goat. 

I would be ok with White as my rb2 and ecstatic to have him as my rb3. 

Ps:  all of my optimism will go away if pats sign Freeman. 

The narrative in the past may have been that Cam doesn't target RB's before CMC, but did he ever have a quality pass catching RB before him that he could target?  New England isn't very deep with pass catching options so I'm leaning towards White being his consistent PPR self while being an avoid in standard.

When there's 4 different RBs on the roster and no one can say with certainty who the #1 will be and I see 4 different sources each touting a different guy...

I avoid.

But then again, I've been avoiding Pats backs probably since 2010.

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

When there's 4 different RBs on the roster and no one can say with certainty who the #1 will be and I see 4 different sources each touting a different guy...

I avoid.

But then again, I've been avoiding Pats backs probably since 2010.

And most of the time this strategy has worked.  I'm probably doing the same this year.  

• Like 1

With the shallow WRs in New England are people not more excited about him this year?

I took him in the 8th round in a half pot last night. Feel like white could be the most consistent rb on this roster, no? Michel/Harris uncertainty and Burkhead mixing in? 

Patriots have no proven pass catching options beyond Welker and White. Gotta think Cam will be dumping it off to the rb a ton this year-even prime Cam couldn’t throw deep and the Pats receivers are a hodge podge at best