mocha4313

2020 Bold Predictions

6 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Leans is uhh... generous. 

Either way, who cares just change the name. It's not a big deal and it's not even a cool sounding or looking name. Can pick a bunch of military sounding names. This is also pretty cool:

attachment_31192103

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Leans is uhh... generous. 

Either way, who cares just change the name. It's not a big deal and it's not even a cool sounding or looking name. Can pick a bunch of military sounding names. This is also pretty cool:

attachment_31192103

Even as a pacifist this is one of my favorite names (I also love "DC Defenders" or "Wshington Admirals"). This could also be the mascot:

marist-college-poughkeepsie-marist-red-f

Although knowing Washington, it'll probably more like this:

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8

Defenders might be trademarked by XFL?

Honestly they should just be called the Washington Snyder’s, it’ll appeal to his ego and also be upfront about their mediocrity.

There will be no NFL season. If they try, by the 3-4th week some teams will be asking people off the street to suit up and take the place of the NFL players.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FavreCo said:

There will be no NFL season. If they try, by the 3-4th week some teams will be asking people off the street to suit up and take the place of the NFL players.

Bingissimo.

20 hours ago, ajs723 said:

There's also this. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29419164/native-american-groups-ask-nfl-force-washington-redskins-change-name%3fplatform=amp

Look, even if 90% of Native Americans aren't offended, 10% are. That's over 50,000 Americans who are deeply hurt by a team using an actual racist slur as its nickname. I think that's good enough reason to drop the name. It doesn't hurt anybody to change it. Is it a monumental step forward for society? Not really. Is it a simple, obvious step to take? Yup. 

Are Irish people leprechauns? Why isn't the leprechaun eliminated from Notre Dame?  Is it because people aren't complaining? Is it because the plight of the Irish is jammed down everyone's throat? Who cares....Doesn't fit the narrative. Right. 

7 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Are Irish people leprechauns? Why isn't the leprechaun eliminated from Notre Dame?  Is it because people aren't complaining? Is it because the plight of the Irish is jammed down everyone's throat? Who cares....Doesn't fit the narrative. Right. 

If Irish people find either the name or the leprechaun offensive then yes, of course, it should be changed. I'm not even sure why there would be any contention otherwise?

5 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

If Irish people find either the name or the leprechaun offensive then yes, of course, it should be changed. I'm not even sure why there would be any contention otherwise?

But they don't, you see, despite being one of the most oppressed people ever....Even still to this day....but no one knows that.

It will be awful - Sorcerors!  Necromancers.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Weird that warrior Michael Florio doesn’t speak out against it - or the Chiefs who play at Arrowhead and do the Tomahawk Chop -this guy is MIA when needed.

Hey you leave us out of this and don't give them any ideas about what to be outraged about next : (

Edited by mocha4313
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Hey you leave us out of this and don't give them any ideas about what to be outraged about next : (

This is Florio’s SB - I have no idea what he has left to tall about.  Hell he will find something - he needs something to fund his anemic a**

40 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Weird that warrior Michael Florio doesn’t speak out against it - or the Chiefs who play at Arrowhead and do the Tomahawk Chop -this guy is MIA when needed.

PFT is the worst show on planet earth.

38 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

PFT is the worst show on planet earth.

ArE wE SuRe JoE bUrRoW IsNt GoInG tO ReFuSe tO PlAy FoR tHe BeNgAls?

I saw Dan Patrick bringing that up even after draft day and point out Burrow's reaction to getting picked as evidence (as if he hadn't known for months he was going to Cincy)

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Okay... so Max Kellerman wants it changed.

Is there any evidence that the team name or the mascot has ever been used as a racial slur, or that any percentage of actual Irish Americans are offended by it.

In my own anecdotal experience most Irish Americans seem to have an affinity for the term Irish, leprechauns, shamrocks, etc. 

8 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Is there any evidence that the team name or the mascot has ever been used as a racial slur, or that any percentage of actual Irish Americans are offended by it.

In my own anecdotal experience most Irish Americans seem to have an affinity for the term Irish, leprechauns, shamrocks, etc. 

I’m Irish - I’m offended - does that count?  Or do I need to continue doing research for you?

33 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Can you post any actual supporting evidence that fighting Irish, or even the leprechaun, has been historically used as a slur. I'm not even saying you're wrong, I'm just completely unaware of it.

It's a basic correlation. There is nothing positive about the mascot used to portray the Irish. Sadly, simple-minded people can't see past the surface insult of skin color. Can you for one second stop trying to protect your fragile ego and desire to be correct to acknowledge that Irish people aren't magical, angry dwarfs? That, they too, have been oppressed? Have you considered their experience? It's doesn't get much attention which makes the nonsense going around quite upsetting. 

The ONLY difference is there is a movement to make all white people oppressors and evil. The Fighting Irish isn't offensive for that reason only. It's a negative depiction of an entire group of people. Never said Redskins was good. You just refuse to acknowledge the point being made.

REDSKINS = NOT GOOD.........100% on your side. Now, can you get off your imaginary morally superior pedestal to recognize the hypocrisy? 

Would anyone care if Irish people started to get offended about the mascot? Would they spew your insensitive, lacking the perspective of the plight of the Irish mainstream take? 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

One could make the argument that their emotional intelligence is move advanced than those who allow mascots/words to offend them.

1 minute ago, this guy right here said:

One could make the argument that their emotional intelligence is move advanced than those who allow mascots/words to offend them.

Whoa.  Total *facepalm* on that take.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm still looking for evidence that "Fighting Irish" or leprechaun are slurs. Or that a relevant percentage of people are genuinely offended by it. I just don't see the negative connotation or the negative history of the term.

It's an Irish Catholic school, is it not? To me this is like arguing that Montreal Canadiens is offensive. It's a descriptor, not a slur. That's a meaningful difference. 

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm still looking for evidence that "Fighting Irish" or leprechaun are slurs. Or that a relevant percentage of people are genuinely offended by it. I just don't see the negative connotation or the negative history of the term.

It's an Irish Catholic school, is it not? To me this is like arguing that Montreal Canadiens is offensive. It's a descriptor, not a slur. That's a meaningful difference. 

But...I literally presented it to you - did you not read the article?

Unequivocally, the origins of the nickname stem from a desire to differentiate Notre Dame for its Catholicism. It is a negative portrayal of Catholics and immigrants. It is a stereotype of the violent Irish. It’s just been spun into a positive over time.”

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

But...I literally presented it to you - did you not read the article?

Unequivocally, the origins of the nickname stem from a desire to differentiate Notre Dame for its Catholicism. It is a negative portrayal of Catholics and immigrants. It is a stereotype of the violent Irish. It’s just been spun into a positive over time.”

I read every word of the article. I disagree 1000% with the word unequivocally in that sentence. That's not remotely unequivocal. It's the opposite. It's that author's opinion. An opinion supported by.... nothing.

Look, maybe I'm being insensitive, but I'm pretty sure everyone making this Notre Dame argument is using a false equivalency to make a bad faith argument on purpose.

Again, it's an Irish Catholic school. It is, and always has been an Irish Catholic school. So they're racist against... themselves?

If the Washington Redskins were a Native American Organization operated by Native Americans, on Native American land, I don't think it would be an issue. Right?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I read every word of the article. I disagree 1000% with the word unequivocally in that sentence. That's not remotely unequivocal. It's the opposite. It's that author's opinion. An opinion supported by.... nothing.

Look, maybe I'm being insensitive, but I'm pretty sure everyone making this Notre Dame argument is using a false equivalency to make a bad faith argument on purpose.

Again, it's an Irish Catholic school. It is, and always has been an Irish Catholic school. So they're racist against... themselves?

If the Washington Redskins were a Native American Organization operated by Native Americans, on Native American land, I don't think it would be an issue. Right?

Insensitive perhaps - but just mistaken mainly: around the time of attribution of that name, most of the players were of Polish descent.