Sign in to follow this  
The 7th Beatles

2020 Owner / Player Negotiations

Posted (edited)
Evan Drelich :Source says no deal is close yet between MLB and MLBPA beccause the proposal was just sent by MLB. No agreement even in principle at this point.
2:33 PM · Jun 17, 2020

Edited by Chaco Chicken

4 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I knew I shouldn't have used Heyman as the source 

Why?  Is this guy Drellich an official spokesman for either side or something?  Meanwhile Manfred decided to get up off of his behind and do something:

According to Jon Heyman of MLB Network, MLB and the MLBPA are "closing in on an agreement to play the 2020 season."

Heyman notes that his source comes from the players' side of the negotiations and adds that the deal is "expected to be for prorated pay and include expanded playoffs." MLB commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN on Monday that he was losing confidence about the possibility of the two parties reaching symmetry on a financial/health agreement, but Manfred then flew to Arizona on Tuesday night to meet directly with MLBPA chief Tony Clark, and it sounds like those discussions might have broken the dam. There should be many more details soon. Hopefully this will go down as a monumentally positive day for the sport of baseball.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                                     Jun 17, 2020, 2:24 PM ET

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?  Is this guy Drellich an official spokesman for either side or something?  Meanwhile Manfred decided to get up off of his behind and do something:

I guess I mean just Heymans track record compared to Passan and Rosenthal I should've waited to post but got excited. Hopefully though it gets done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I knew it I’ve been saying it since the beginning there will 100% be MLB this year and most likely around 54 games.

Just now, The 7th Beatles said:

I guess I mean just Heymans track record compared to Passan and Rosenthal I should've waited to post but got excited. Hopefully though it gets done. 

I'm grateful for the news.

Seems like Drellich, Heyman, and Passan all reported the same fact with three different personal analyses.

• Like 1

The meeting was actually last night, not today, but still positive signs:

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

I knew it I’ve been saying it since the beginning there will 100% be MLB this year and most likely around 54 games.

I guess you can now start the CSB thread.

• Haha 1

66 would seem to me to be a good compromise.

Players asked for 114 (70% of their 162 game salary) and 89 (55%).

Owners asked for 50 games (30%) and 89 games at 75% pro rata (35%)

66 would be 40%. 

Feels like it works financially and and schedule wise for everyone.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Sweet having a season with 60-66 games is going to be fun, let’s get this started. Players it’s time to swing your bats and throw your pitches again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

MLB finding a way to get Mike Trout into the playoffs>>>>>

16 teams is just absurd.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

16 teams is just absurd.

It really is, especially since a 60 game season is already short enough of a sample to where anybody can truly make the playoffs. That said, as a Halos fan, I'll take a Mike Trout playoff berth by any means possible lol

• Haha 1

Amazing what can happen when everyone gets off Twitter and actually has a productive meeting.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

It really is, especially since a 60 game season is already short enough of a sample to where anybody can truly make the playoffs. That said, as a Halos fan, I'll take a Mike Trout playoff berth by any means possible lol

It would be kinda fun if the first round was all a one game play in.

Knowing that their motivation behind it is playoff TV revenue, I would anticipate all 5-7 game rounds.

49 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Amazing what can happen when everyone gets off Twitter and actually has a productive meeting.

Actually it is amazing what happens when common sense is forced upon people and both sides have a mutual interest to get something done.  If true, a 60 game deal (all of 10 more games) could have been had 2-3 weeks ago in all likelihood.  Imo, it appears the MLBPA finally woke up to the fact that 30-40% is better than zero and all the bad press.  In hindsight, you have to wonder why all the bickering and all the grief just for an extra 10 games.  I guess the players felt they could dictate terms to the owners and now they realize that their power to do some has limits.

• Like 2