duke of queens

Commissioners Corner 2020

Wondering if anyone has any good league rules to combat/limit late season dump trades in auction keeper league? In season salary cap would work but would be burdensome to keep track/enforce since we are using Yahoo. Looking to limit teams from just trading away multiple high priced star players that cannot be kept the next year for cheap value players. Not trying to do away with it, just trying see if anyone had any good rules to limit the amount of players going to a team. It has gotten a little out of hand the last few years as teams out of the race just dont care about the non-keepers they will include a lot for any low priced keepers. 

When you can "cannot be kept" is that due to just price or can they actually not be kept no matter what? If it's the latter, just limit the amount of non-keepers that can be traded, or perhaps move the trade deadline up sooner.

1 minute ago, 2ndCitySox said:

When you can "cannot be kept" is that due to just price or can they actually not be kept no matter what? If it's the latter, just limit the amount of non-keepers that can be traded, or perhaps move the trade deadline up sooner.

I was just about to type “Move up the deadline”. There will be wayyyyyy less dumping.

8 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

After 3rd year of contract they become Restricted free Agents. They are thrown back into the player pool for next year's auction. If you decide to protect a player you can do so(counts as 1 of your 12 keepers), but will not be able to bid on them, but at end of bidding you have option bid one more dollar than highest bid and keep him for new contract at the auction +1 price or let highest bid take him. As for trade deadline, we moved it up to same as MLB trade deadline and it kinda deadened the league after that. Right now we usually have it mid-August.

• Like 1

Be careful if you implement a salary cap.  In theory this should work, but in my leagues it has had some negative impact.  Mainly that it limits the trade partners of the dumping teams.  Once a team in the running makes a deal for a couple high priced players, they effectively have less incentive to make a trade for more stars considering they couldn't play them.  This led to teams in the league dumping very early since the 1st team to dump would get the best return on their players.

Usually by early June you can already get a feel of the 3-4 teams that will be competing to win.  So once one of those teams acquires a few players, then the number of teams decreases quickly.  

Posted (edited)

my buddy plays in a league where the worse you finish, the more you owe for fees. A tad draconian maybe, but would likely prevent dumping. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

my buddy plays in a league where the worse you finish, the more you owe for fees. A tad draconian maybe, but would likely prevent dumping. 

We have that in place already, also for 2nd to last place. Both pay more.

I've always thought a trade still has to be within the realm of fairness for that year in order to pass.

I'm in a keep 3 and a few years ago, a guy traded like half his team for...Kris Bryant (I think it was).  Only trade the league has ever vetoed.

It's tough when the system you have set up leads to very good players being essentially valueless to their team.  That's what the veto system is for though, I guess.

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I've always thought a trade still has to be within the realm of fairness for that year in order to pass.

I'm in a keep 3 and a few years ago, a guy traded like half his team for...Kris Bryant (I think it was).  Only trade the league has ever vetoed.

It's tough when the system you have set up leads to very good players being essentially valueless to their team.  That's what the veto system is for though, I guess.

There is a fine line in telling teams how to manage their teams and what value a player has. 20 years and I think I vetoed 1 trade that involved 2 idiots trying to be funny. But having set parameters for these dump trades will decrease the chances of teams doing the so called offload just because they can and those players don't have big value anymore. 

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

This absolutely helps with people roster dumping.

I’m in a 12-team auction keeper league. We do not limit our keepers and keep any of our players as long as we want them. We also employ a salary cap to keep owners from creating a super team. This helps owners hang on to their star players and help prevent any unreasonable trades.

Increasing the number of keepers or going to a full keep as many as you want for as long as you want dynasty setup can help mitigate this by ensuring that both teams in the transaction are moving assets they could otherwise be keeping.  Having a variable number -- something like a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 15 -- could be a good compromise that creates a bit of a "fog of war" on both sides that could let teams credibly say they've got enough slots to keep the prospects involved and force the "win now" team to cough up more future value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Increasing the number of keepers or going to a full keep as many as you want for as long as you want dynasty setup can help mitigate this by ensuring that both teams in the transaction are moving assets they could otherwise be keeping.  Having a variable number -- something like a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 15 -- could be a good compromise that creates a bit of a "fog of war" on both sides that could let teams credibly say they've got enough slots to keep the prospects involved and force the "win now" team to cough up more future value.

This. Baseball keeper leagues are the worst because you get teams out of it paying ridiculous value to get a better keeper when they are out of it. I was in a league where we kept 6 and like in May one team out of it was willing to trade basically any decent player on his team besides a couple for Bryce Harper. It was eventually a 7:1 (essentially, he traded back his drops). This trade made sense for both teams but the league is certainly compromised. 

Upping the keepers to at least double digit amounts ( I think 15-20 ideally if not full dynasty) makes the most sense. Dynasty or redraft basically, when you try to hard to in between, smart owners will take advantage and the league will turn into less about actual fantasy baseball. 

• Like 1

Interested to hear what people think is the BEST position structure for a league.

I've repeatedly used this for 12-14 team leagues:

C
C
1b
2b
3b
SS
CI
MI
OF x 5
UTIL x 2

P x 8 or 9
B x 6
IL x 3
NA x 1

Do you feel there is an adjustment to make the balance better?

Also, one other question: How do you 'process waivers' with FAAB?

Do you do it every day? every other day? What's the best in your opinion.

Just now, CrypTviLL said:

Also, one other question: How do you 'process waivers' with FAAB?

Do you do it every day? every other day? What's the best in your opinion.

I don't think the amount of positions really matters. Everyone is playing by the same rules. That seems to mirror NFBC, maybe you have 1 more Util but not sure. I only do 1 catcher, 4 OFs, 1 Util but to each their own.

As far as FAAB we run it Mon-Wed-Fri. Works well.

6 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Interested to hear what people think is the BEST position structure for a league.

I've repeatedly used this for 12-14 team leagues:

C
C
1b
2b
3b
SS
CI
MI
OF x 5
UTIL x 2

P x 8 or 9
B x 6
IL x 3
NA x 1

Do you feel there is an adjustment to make the balance better?

I rather play with just one catcher & utility spot. 9 P . 

Another topic I'm interested in hearing opinions on is the best possible ROTO categories.

Standard : 5x5 R/RBI/HR/SB/AVG and W/S/K/ERA/WHIP

I replace AVG with OBP, just makes too much obvious sense.

But other than that I'm pretty stumped.

Last year I did a number of things, I had a 6x6 with R/RBI/HR/SB/OBP/SLG and W/S/K/ERA/WHIP/ (k/bb) or K/9.

But I hate the double nature of the 6th pitching category.. I'm already counting k's, I hate counting it twice in the form of K/bb or K/9. I also am not sure if I liked the SLG% stat. So I went back to 5x5.

We obviously all have issues with W's or QS... but QS was worse than wins for me... I hated seeing my pitchers do well only to go 5 IP and get the Win, but no the QS. Also kinda enjoyed chasing WINS more than QS because I could have some MRP get a few chip in wins (but they can't get chip in QS's).

In any case, what do you enjoy playing? 

I've had to implement what I've termed The Selling Period. It spans 5 days AFTER the trade deadline has passed. 

Basically, any deal that is accepted during the selling period can be countered by any other owner. After a trade has been agreed upon, I post it to text thread. Every owner has 24 hours to counter the deal. After 24 hours has passed, all the owners that texted they wished to counter do so. The seller then picks the best offer. The issue for an auction would be deciding the value of each player. Because what we do is only allow a pick for player (and return pick) trades during the selling period. This enables it to be fair, since a 6th round pick beats a 7th round pick, etc. You can only offer one pick for the player, so it's not like you have to decide between a 6th and 8th round pick vs say a 4th round pick. This allows for all owners to have a fair shot at players, as one owner may know the seller better than another owner. It's become the highlight of the season other than the playoffs and draft, as it gets absolutely crazy at the Selling Period. Everyone not in it is dumping, but the important part is all buyers have a similar chance to acquire players being sold. 

Edit: There are other rules, like no seller can have more than two picks per round through the first 7 rounds. Also, no buyer can have less than 4 picks in the first 7 rounds. Things like that to keep a balance. 

Edited by MugsyBogues

On 1/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, duke of queens said:

Wondering if anyone has any good league rules to combat/limit late season dump trades in auction keeper league? In season salary cap would work but would be burdensome to keep track/enforce since we are using Yahoo. Looking to limit teams from just trading away multiple high priced star players that cannot be kept the next year for cheap value players. Not trying to do away with it, just trying see if anyone had any good rules to limit the amount of players going to a team. It has gotten a little out of hand the last few years as teams out of the race just dont care about the non-keepers they will include a lot for any low priced keepers. 

Do you have a trade deadline? If so when?

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

In any case, what do you enjoy playing? 

I've come to like IP and HLD as pitching categories. IP has held up well, I think, in this age of openers and unpredictable roles.

43 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Usually 2nd week in August.

not bad, maybe move it to end of July?

4 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Another topic I'm interested in hearing opinions on is the best possible ROTO categories.

Standard : 5x5 R/RBI/HR/SB/AVG and W/S/K/ERA/WHIP

I haven't been in a saves league in ages.  Saves+Holds are pretty much used in all style leagues these days whether roto or h2h.

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I haven't been in a saves league in ages.  Saves+Holds are pretty much used in all style leagues these days whether roto or h2h.

I would definitely do a Saves+Holds league if Saves were valued as 2 points and holds as 1, however Y! can't perform that operation in roto :( unfortunately.