urban2014

Corey Davis 2020 Outlook

Disaster of a season last year, will he bounce back.  Probably not. 

Posted (edited)

I wouldnt bother to waste a draft pick on him except in deep leagues.

Edited by Evincar

I wonder if he gets traded this season to a WR needy team. Hopefully it isn't the Jets.

30 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

He's still in the NFL? 

Yes.

I still think he's more talented than the stats have shown here, and i'm interested to see where he lands in 2021, but he's now the clear #2 receiver at best on the team that threw the ball less than all but one team in 2019.    Jonnu Smith and Adam Humphries are decent enough to get usage upticks too.  Davis might not even be a WR6 this year

13 hours ago, BrianM said:

I still think he's more talented than the stats have shown here, and i'm interested to see where he lands in 2021, but he's now the clear #2 receiver at best on the team that threw the ball less than all but one team in 2019.    Jonnu Smith and Adam Humphries are decent enough to get usage upticks too.  Davis might not even be a WR6 this year

18 hours ago, sSektor said:

I wonder if he gets traded this season to a WR needy team. Hopefully it isn't the Jets.

corey davis' best quality = he serves as a reminder that college talent and draft capital do not automatically translate into immediate NFL production.

for everyone looking to draft this 2020 rookie class as "can't fail" WRs, consider corey davis' profile:

draft pick 1.05, breakout age 18.7 (96th percentile), a guaranteed NFL day 1 success sure thing:

• Superb run-after-the-catch skills
  • Consistent play-maker
  • Great route-runner; sudden out of breaks
  • Quick release off of the line
  • Great hands
  • Deceptive speed
  • Can challenge defenses vertically
  • Breaks tackles; gets yards after contact
  • Good red-zone weapon
  • Wins 50-50 passes
  • Vertical jump, leaping ability
  • Has the strength to outfight defensive backs
  • Rarely ever drops a pass
  • Physical
  • Tracks the ball well
  • Late hands
  • Excellent body control
  • Long arms
  • Attacks the football
  • Sneaky push off skills
  • High points the ball well
  • Adept at finding soft spots in zone
  • Quality size
  • Gritty player; plays with an attitude
  • Ready to contribute quickly
  • Quality blocker
  • Durable; plays hurt

that said, if you're a die-hard believer with a bench spot to burn: buy dirt cheap in dynasty, wait for his rookie contract to end, hope he gets traded to a pass-heavy team in 2021 matched with some needy QB (watson, rodgers). low-risk highish-reward.

Davis is an excellent buy-low dynasty player.

He started his career with various injuries, and never really displayed any chemistry with Mariota.
Not much changed with Tannehill, but the Titans have always been at the bottom half of the league in terms of passing volume.
Titans declined his 5th year option, making him an unrestricted free agent next year. 

No question there will be plenty of prime landing spots next season.
It's way too early to write him off as a bust... If he signs with a team like Green Bay, Kansas City or even the Jets, he's likely to breakout as a weekly fantasy starter.  

1 hour ago, AirForceOne said:

He started his career with various injuries, and never really displayed any chemistry with Mariota.
Not much changed with Tannehill, but the Titans have always been at the bottom half of the league in terms of passing volume.
Titans declined his 5th year option, making him an unrestricted free agent next year. 

No question there will be plenty of prime landing spots next season.
It's way too early to write him off as a bust... If he signs with a team like Green Bay, Kansas City or even the Jets, he's likely to breakout as a weekly fantasy starter.  

There have been plenty of 1st round WR busts in recent years. I don't know why you think it would be too early to write him off. He is a bust. He won't live up to his draft position. Maybe he carves out a solid career as a #2 or #3 or depth receiver though. But I don't view him as an excellent buy-low in dynasty. I think I even cut him from my dynasty team last season.

Posted (edited)

I mean.... if DeVante Parker can have a career resurgence, it's not out of the realm with Corey Davis who has demonstrated performance previously, and has two less seasons under his belt.  May be a bit premature to write him off just yet.

Edited by Maroney's Bolgna
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, devaster said:

There have been plenty of 1st round WR busts in recent years. I don't know why you think it would be too early to write him off. He is a bust. He won't live up to his draft position. Maybe he carves out a solid career as a #2 or #3 or depth receiver though. But I don't view him as an excellent buy-low in dynasty. I think I even cut him from my dynasty team last season.

Could have easily been said about Devante Parker this time a year ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

I think he's excellent because of the price, which is a pittance. 

I'd definitely take a flier. There's not much evidence to suggest that the talent is gone, and the dude just turned 25

One minor note: He stays on the field most of the time because the Titans love his blocking. So while we fantasy footballers may see a failure, I think the Titans see him as a key piece. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

never really displayed any chemistry with Mariota.

Has any WR?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Has any WR?

Rishard Matthews for starters. Brown had 2 big games with Mariota before getting benched.

Edited by Evincar

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Could have easily been said about Devante Parker this time a year ago.

One success story isn't a trend. There are far more failures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know everyone has written him off but I'm willing to take a shot at the ends of drafts. I'm in a keeper league so maybe he leaves Ten since he'll be a free agent next year, gets traded or maybe just becomes something close to what they thought he would be after drafting him in the first round. He's still young and the talent can't magically disappear. As I said, a late/last round flyer who won't cost much and won't hurt your team if you decide to take a shot on him.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:50 PM, devaster said:

One success story isn't a trend. There are far more failures.

More so establishing a proof of concept than a trend. He’s basically going undrafted in every league. You can find more reasons to not draft someone than to draft them for everyone at this adp 

11 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

More so establishing a proof of concept than a trend. He’s basically going undrafted in every league. You can find more reasons to not draft someone than to draft them for everyone at this adp 

Is A.J. Brown healthy again?  I heard he was banged up.  If he were to miss any games, I think that Davis would be the defacto #1 wr for the Titans with Adam Humphries in the slot.

Edited by sjm76

Is anyone still a fan of this guy?

Dude was a 5th pick overall just few years ago and he still hasnt shown anything...

Bust?