urban2014

Corey Davis 2020 Outlook

19 hours ago, devaster said:

I agree with that. But I don't believe Davis is worth going all in on because this is a run-first team and he is 3rd or 4th in the pecking order there. The Titans receivers as a whole appear to be inconsistent week-to-week.

Huh? Everyone in here is talking about taking a flier on him because he's basically free. Where did anyone suggest going "all in" on Corey Davis?

• Like 1

Just because a player didn't break out in his first (3) years doesn't mean it won't happen in his 4th year. Are there other reasons that he may not break out? Maybe. But clinging to the fact that he hasn't yet as the reason that he won't is simply incorrect logic. It even took Davante Adams a few years to break out...Aside from TDs (which are flukey to begin with), the numbers are fairly similar through (3) years between Adams and Davis...

Davante Adams’ first 3 years: 163 rec, 1,926 yards, 16TDs

Corey Davis’ first 3 years: 142 rec, 1,922 yards, 6TDs

Corey Davis is 100% worth a flier at the end of your bench if you have the space. To those wondering - No, that doesn't mean "all in". It simply means a flier at the end of your bench.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm in on Davis. He was the 5th overall pick in the 2017.....not late 1st round, not 2nd round, but 5th overall. Teams clearly saw a star. It hasn't panned out but Davis started his career with Mariota when the Titans were one of the league's worst teams and he's battled through injuries fairly consistently. If Davis is healthy and developing a connection with Tannehill, you can't ignore that because 'the Titans are a run-first team'. That would be significant if he were the 4th or 5th passing option but he's number two on their depth chart. And I imagine the Titans want to keep Derrick Henry's workload light until November/December. We'll see what happens.

I wouldn't want to miss out on this Corey Davis:

• Like 1

I’m in for the flyer on Davis. Tannehill had 43 attempts on Monday so I’m not expecting that to continue but Davis and Brown were equal and Smith/Humphries were right behind in terms of targets. I think this pass game can be efficient enough to support a WR2 and a Flex play out of their receivers with Jonnu Smith being a wildcard. I’d like to see this for a couple weeks before I throw Davis in the lineup but he’s absolutely worth the add right now. 

I’ve had Davis on my fantasy squad every year he’s been in the league. Might as well do it again when he’s a free agent and just put up his best game in a while. Tannehill could be all that he needed to be a serviceable fantasy player.

12 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Just because a player didn't break out in his first (3) years doesn't mean it won't happen in his 4th year. Are there other reasons that he may not break out? Maybe. But clinging to the fact that he hasn't yet as the reason that he won't is simply incorrect logic. It even took Davante Adams a few years to break out...Aside from TDs (which are flukey to begin with), the numbers are fairly similar through (3) years between Adams and Davis...

Corey Davis is 100% worth a flier at the end of your bench if you have the space. To those wondering - No, that doesn't mean "all in". It simply means a flier at the end of your bench.

Not sure that's the best example. Yes, the three years totals of both players are similar. But Adams got better every year and topped out at 75 catches for 997 yards and 12 TDs in Year 3. Davis doesn't have any one year that good and has actually gone backwards in his stats. You're basically asking for a 4th year breakout. Not impossible, but not likely, particularly for a high first round pick that has started from year one. It would be easier to project a later breakout for a late round pick that took a few years to develop.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not sure that's the best example. Yes, the three years totals of both players are similar. But Adams got better every year and topped out at 75 catches for 997 yards and 12 TDs in Year 3. Davis doesn't have any one year that good and has actually gone backwards in his stats. You're basically asking for a 4th year breakout. Not impossible, but not likely, particularly for a high first round pick that has started from year one. It would be easier to project a later breakout for a late round pick that took a few years to develop.

Corey Davis didn't have Aaron Rodgers tossing him the rock -- that might have an impact on TDs. Not sure though...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I'm in on Davis. He was the 5th overall pick in the 2017.....not late 1st round, not 2nd round, but 5th overall. Teams clearly saw a star.

we have yet to see this star. he's had good games now and again, but these are rare, and these games don't flash brilliance. i loved his talent at western michigan, but we have not yet seen this talent at the nfl level.

the high draft, at this point, only means he was over-drafted. laquon treadwell went at 1.23, phillip dorsett at 1.29, corey coleman at 1.15, and the lions sold the farm in drafting charles rogers at 1.02. he was worthless, which is why you've never heard of him. busts happen. titans should have drafted jamal adams (who went one pick later to the jets), or chris godwin (who went 78 picks later).

i still like corey davis as a buy low candidate in deep dynasty leagues with the hopes he gets traded to a pass-happy team next season and matched to a good QB. but right now it seems unlikely corey will have his 4th year breakout season tethered to tannehill in a derrick-henry-centered offense and competing with the talent of aj brown. my two cents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spina said:

Corey Davis didn't have Aaron Rodgers tossing him the rock -- that might have an impact on TDs. Not sure though...

Corey Davis still doesn't either though, so if anything that's still a knock against him.

1 hour ago, vercrazy said:

Corey Davis still doesn't either though, so if anything that's still a knock against him.

And he has the same QB tossing him the rock this season as he did most of last season. In the same offense. All I've ever seen from Corey Davis is inconsistency, which is why I finally bailed on him in dynasty last season and it was for the best. He could still put up some games this season, but I expect him to continue to be wildly inconsistent because of both the offense he is in and his ability.

I don't view him as being anything like Devante Parker and also his career trek is nothing like Davante Adams'.

If you watched the game Monday night you could almost say he played even better than his stat line. Picked up multiple 3rd downs if I remember correctly, including one on the sideline that was a ridiculous catch where he managed to get one foot down and drag his other foot to come down in bounds. You’re crazy not to keep a bench spot open for this guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newyork2la said:

If you watched the game Monday night you could almost say he played even better than his stat line. Picked up multiple 3rd downs if I remember correctly, including one on the sideline that was a ridiculous catch where he managed to get one foot down and drag his other foot to come down in bounds. You’re crazy not to keep a bench spot open for this guy. 

He’s worth taking a flier on. Why not? Give it a couple weeks and if he doesn’t pan out, drop em! The only thing he cost was a waiver spot, or nothing at all. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:31 PM, VIKEVIKE77 said:

He looked basically unguardable on a few routes across the middle when they went play action... I scooped him before Monday night as my last bench spot rotator that I churn through form week to week. Looks like I'll be holding for a bit with a real chance at hitting a gem. 

How about that lethal stiff arm too? Loved it. People always call him soft here in Nashville they went as far as naming him "Hammy Davis Jr", so that stiff arm was something awesome to see. Hopefully he plays with that kind chip on his shoulders all year.

10 hours ago, Jericho said:

This example was to illustrate that some players take a while to truly breakout. I never said "Because Adams did X, Davis will do it too." Who said anyone is projecting a "breakout"? What is it with some of you and your lens you're reading through? People say he's worth a flier at the end of the bench because he is free and looked good the other night and some of you interpret that as people saying "I'm all in on Corey Davis!" or "I project a breakout for Corey Davis in 2020".

Corey Davis looked great the other night. Small sample? Of course. But he's free and worth a free stash at the end of the bench to see if there's anything to it. AGAIN, no one is saying "I project a breakout!" or "I'm all in!" It's a free stash at the end of the bench.

PS: Adams had Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball, so yes the comparison isn't really fair to Corey Davis.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, devaster said:

And he has the same QB tossing him the rock this season as he did most of last season. In the same offense. All I've ever seen from Corey Davis is inconsistency, which is why I finally bailed on him in dynasty last season and it was for the best. He could still put up some games this season, but I expect him to continue to be wildly inconsistent because of both the offense he is in and his ability.

I don't view him as being anything like Devante Parker and also his career trek is nothing like Davante Adams'.

Saying definitive things like "his trek is nothing like Adams" makes no sense since we don't know yet. I'm not going to say it's just like Adams or even likely because I don't know. When you don't know something, it makes sense to stay away from definitive statements. Since you seem to know the exact trek of Corey Davis' career projection, can I borrow your crystal ball? I'd like to use it for setting up my lineup for this week.

You sitting here pretending to know everything (that hasn't happened yet) while misquoting people is a headscratcher for sure.

Don't care to grab Davis as a free end of bench stash? Cool, no one cares. Move on and stop trying to misquote people in here and send implications that they're wrong for wanting to stash a free player for a bit just to see what happens.

Edited by ThreadKiller

6 hours ago, Brettg57 said:

He’s worth taking a flier on. Why not? Give it a couple weeks and if he doesn’t pan out, drop em! The only thing he cost was a waiver spot, or nothing at all. 🤷‍♂️ 

How dare you claim to be all in on Corey Davis!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

• Adam's third year: 73 rec, 997 yards, 12 TD
  • Davis' third year: 43 rec, 601 yards, 2 TD 
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

This might be a hot take but Rodgers was (and still is) better than Mariota and Tannehill.

Edited by sSektor
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, sSektor said:

This might be a hot take but Rodgers was (and still is) better than Mariota and Tannehill.

Stats don't come with pictures but if they did there would be an even more stark contrast. That said, what ThreadKiller posted was misleading. Season one and two added up with season three does not tell an accurate tale. Go ahead and keep on fooling yourself though, I don't gain anything from it either which way. Hot take, I know.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Neato!!! Thanks for sharing your cherry picking skills! I can do it too though. I did per game averages because they Adams only played 13 games:

-Davante Adams 2nd year per game averages: 3.8 catches, 37 yds, .07 TD

-Corey Davis 2nd year per game averages: 4 catches, 55 yds, .25 TD

What's your point here though other than trying to pick a nonsense argument about something no one cares about?

54 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Not to mention Adam was the 3rd WR behind Nelson/Jones and Cobb his first two years in the league. Corey Davis wasn't really competing with anyone for the #1 role his first couple years in the league.

• Like 1

Don't know how you can compare two different receivers in two wildly different teams. One had Rodgers his entire career, the other had some garbage guy named Mariota. It's a terrible comparison.