urban2014

Corey Davis 2020 Outlook

29 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Stats don't come with pictures but if they did there would be an even more stark contrast. That said, what ThreadKiller posted was misleading. Season one and two added up with season three does not tell an accurate tale. Go ahead and keep on fooling yourself though, I don't gain anything from it either which way. Hot take, I know.

It's not misleading at all actually if you understand the context around what everyone in here is talking about. The point of the "comparison" was to show that it took Adams (one of the best WRs in the NFL) a few years to breakout (even with Rodgers as QB) and not everyone breaks out right away. Not to show that he and Davis were or are equals. So again, not it's not misleading to those who are understanding the conversation and points being made here. It was to show that just because someone hasn't fully broken out in 3 years doesn't mean that it's impossible. If Davis doesn't break out, it's not because he hasn't yet, it's simply because he's not good enough. I know this is all rocket science for those of you who just want to argue with those who are only saying it's worth a free flier, but jesus. If you don't like it, simply click on another thread and go away.

We are talking about a free stash at the end of the bench. The fact that people want to argue that is amazing and reminds me of why I took a break from this forum.

Edited by ThreadKiller

26 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Neato!!! Thanks for sharing your cherry picking skills! I can do it too though. I did per game averages because they Adams only played 13 games:

-Davante Adams 2nd year per game averages: 3.8 catches, 37 yds, .07 TD

-Corey Davis 2nd year per game averages: 4 catches, 55 yds, .25 TD

What's your point here though other than trying to pick a nonsense argument about something no one cares about?

I see that you're emotionally invested in this player. Good luck with that. Making decisions this way always works out.

• Haha 1

You guys better pick this dude up.  I drafted Corey every year since his rookie year, except for this one.  He's gonna go ballistic.  Just watch.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I see that you're emotionally invested in this player. Good luck with that. Making decisions this way always works out.

LOL I'm not at all. In fact, I don't even have him rostered. I just can't help but laugh at the way this is unfolding and how some of you act on here.

People come in to innocently say that a player is worth stashing at the end of the bench as a wait and see since he's free. It's met by people like you somehow interpreting that as "I'M ALL IN!" and criticizing those who have interest in a free roster stash at the end of their bench. Why do you care if someone eIse wants to pick up a player because he's free just to see what happens? I was just defending the idea of a player being worth a free stash at the end of their bench and defending it against the nonsense that people were manipulating that into. The words "worth a free stash at the end of a bench" doesn't equate to "I'm all in on Corey Davis! Corey Davis is guaranteed a breakout!"

But congrats on your incorrect assumption as you seem to be good at that!

Edited by ThreadKiller

7 minutes ago, kp96 said:

You guys better pick this dude up.  I drafted Corey every year since his rookie year, except for this one.  He's gonna go ballistic.  Just watch.

That's how it always works out isn't it lol?

• Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith said Denver's coverage "dictated" some throws to WR Corey Davis on Monday night. 

Davis, who didn't practice Wednesday with a hamstring injury, brought in seven balls on eight targets for 101 yards in the season opener. A.J. Brown also saw eight targets, ending with 39 scoreless yards on five receptions. Smith seemed to indicate Davis was left with much more favorable coverage than Brown (and other pass catchers), prompting Ryan Tannehill to throw the ball his way against the Broncos. It's something to keep in mind as fantasy managers set their Week 2 lineups. The entire Titans offense has a favorable Week 2 matchup against Jacksonville. 

RELATED: 
    Sep 17, 2020, 9:07 AM ET

•  

Last year they shaded coverage to Davis and Brown went off. Brown has yet to dominate when the focus of the defense — as he demonstrated in the playoffs last year.

19 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

LOL I'm not at all. In fact, I don't even have him rostered. I just can't help but laugh at the way this is unfolding and how some of you act on here.

People come in to innocently say that a player is worth stashing at the end of the bench as a wait and see since he's free. It's met by people like you somehow interpreting that as "I'M ALL IN!" and criticizing those who have interest in a free roster stash at the end of their bench. Why do you care if someone eIse wants to pick up a player because he's free just to see what happens? I was just defending the idea of a player being worth a free stash at the end of their bench and defending it against the nonsense that people were manipulating that into. The words "worth a free stash at the end of a bench" doesn't equate to "I'm all in on Corey Davis! Corey Davis is guaranteed a breakout!"

But congrats on your incorrect assumption as you seem to be good at that!

You're incredibly hot in defense of a free flier, no? How will you know when you pull the plug in this state?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

You're incredibly hot in defense of a free flier, no? How will you know when you pull the plug in this state?

If only you knew man...If only you knew lol. My sarcasm meter is on high right now due to laughing at the way some of you act on these boards...

Let's just move on.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Taking it personal, away from the player

5 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

If only you knew man...If only you knew lol. My sarcasm meter is on high right now due to laughing at the way some of you act on these boards...

Let's just move on.

Sure, move on. I never got on board. You're the only one making this personal. I think he stinks and there are better adds. That's where it ends for me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Forbin said:

Corey Davis wasn't really competing with anyone for the #1 role his first couple years in the league.

He was competing with Rishard Matthews and Delanie Walker from what I remember. And also the dirt, which was one of Mariotas favorite targets.

49 minutes ago, sSektor said:

He was competing with Rishard Matthews and Delanie Walker from what I remember. And also the dirt, which was one of Mariotas favorite targets.

Fierce competition. No wonder he sucked so bad. The dirt was the most reliable pass catcher in the building most practices.

Edited by Spyplane

2 hours ago, The G Man said:
  • Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith said Denver's coverage "dictated" some throws to WR Corey Davis on Monday night. 

Davis, who didn't practice Wednesday with a hamstring injury, brought in seven balls on eight targets for 101 yards in the season opener. A.J. Brown also saw eight targets, ending with 39 scoreless yards on five receptions. Smith seemed to indicate Davis was left with much more favorable coverage than Brown (and other pass catchers), prompting Ryan Tannehill to throw the ball his way against the Broncos. It's something to keep in mind as fantasy managers set their Week 2 lineups. The entire Titans offense has a favorable Week 2 matchup against Jacksonville. 

RELATED: 

•  

do we have reason to believe this won't happen throughout the season? There were coverages when Davis was running across the middle of the field torching dudes. As we all know, the play action is the key to this offseason and if Brown continues to see shaded or 1v1 vs a stud coverage I take this news to be rather encouraging ROS. 

Edited by VIKEVIKE77

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

And his offensive coordinator.  They are a run oriented team and there simply aren't enough targets for them to support 2 WRs.  This is going by last year.  I dunno if week 1 is a sign of a change or an aberration.

2 hours ago, The G Man said:

RELATED: 

•  

Davis was a 5th overall pick. He has talent & shown it when he’s targeted frequently. The issue has always been Mariota. Now that he’s had a full offseason with Tannehill I think we see Davis take that step we’ve been waiting for. It’s very possible Brown disappoints at his ADP because defenses know him now & Tannehill has confidence in Davis

11 minutes ago, kp96 said:

And his offensive coordinator.  They are a run oriented team and there simply aren't enough targets for them to support 2 WRs.  This is going by last year.  I dunno if week 1 is a sign of a change or an aberration.

So because of what happened during the 2019 season, the exact same will happen during the 2020 season? Interesting way of thinking.

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

So because of what happened during the 2019 season, the exact same will happen during the 2020 season? Interesting way of thinking.

Doesn't guarantee that it will, but it's probably more likely than not, the Titans are built to be a running/defense/TOP-oriented team, similar to the Seahawks during their heyday.

I agree that Corey is a good end-of-bench stash, and he has enough pedigree to advance into a true starter, but he'll need to string together more performances like Week 1 before anyone is confident in starting him (which I think is your point as well).

1 hour ago, kp96 said:

I disagree, Henry had 31 carries and there stll where 43 pass attempts. If Tannehill averages around that number Davis WILL be productive!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

Doesn't guarantee that it will, but it's probably more likely than not, the Titans are built to be a running/defense/TOP-oriented team, similar to the Seahawks during their heyday.

I agree that Corey is a good end-of-bench stash, and he has enough pedigree to advance into a true starter, but he'll need to string together more performances like Week 1 before anyone is confident in starting him (which I think is your point as well).

Sorry my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough lol. 2019 was 2019 and just because something happened in 2019 doesn't mean it's going to unfold the same way in 2020.

2 minutes ago, activeobserver said:

I disagree, Henry had 31 carries and there stll where 43 pass attempts. If Tannehill averages around that number Davis WILL be productive!

I'm with this.

Henry is definitely gonna get his - the play action will be the key to their passing game and the OC just said coverage dictated Davis's involvement.

This seems like a scenario that would be a dream for this guy.... He has had a full offseason with a QB with a pulse, he's got a demon runner out of the backfield that defenses have to game plan around and always keep an eye on, and has a WR opposite of him who draws the #1 or will draw the shade. Of course we'll need to see on repeat to know where we're at but this spot seems as good as any to monitor on the bench. I guess I'm all in too. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, activeobserver said:

Agreed that if Tannehill averages that number that Davis will be guaranteed be productive...

BUT...

Tennessee averaged 58.8 offensive plays per game in 2019 (30th out of 32 teams: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game?date=2020-02-03), and have the same O-coordinator this year.

I don't see them moving away from the riding Henry strategy, and 688 passing attempts in a season would be #1 in the league last season by a pretty healthy margin (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game?date=2020-02-03) which is hard to imagine particularly since Tennessee was 32nd out of 32 teams in passing attempts last season (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game?date=2020-02-03). 

2 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Has their offense changed?  Derrick Henry got over 30 carries.  They're still ground and pound.

47 minutes ago, activeobserver said:

You even quoted the part where I said I'm not sure if the 43 passes was a sign of a change or an aberration.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kp96 said:

You even quoted the part where I said I'm not sure if the 43 passes was a sign of a change or an aberration.

Guess we will find out!