AirForceOne

Allen Lazard 2020 Outlook

Lots of mixed reviews on Lazard. Undrafted, but with all the physical tools necessary to be successful, he finally got his chance when Devante Adams got hurt last year. Emerging over the likes of Jake Kumerow, Marquez Valdez-Scantling and Geronimo Allison, and Jimmy Graham, he finished 2nd on the team in receiving yards. While everyone expected the Packers to draft a WR, that never happened. Instead they signed Devin Funchess to a 1-yr deal, who is coming off of a lost 2019 season (and really wasn't that great before then). 

It would seem that the team has a lot of faith in Lazard, as they haven't brought in any serious competition for him. The #2 WR in the Packers offense has traditionally been a very fantasy-friendly position -- assuming that player keeps his job for 16 games (which didn't happen in 2018 or 2019). But in 10/12 seasons, Aaron Rodgers has produced some solid #2 WRs that were serviceable fantasy players:

2017 Randall Cobb: 653 yards, 4 TDs
2016 Devante Adams: 997 yards, 12 TDs (Jordy Nelson was #1)
2015 Randall Cobb: 829 yards, 6 TDs
2014 Randall Cobb: 1287 yards, 12 TDs
2013 James Jones: 817 yards, 3 TDs
2012 James Jones: 784 yards, 14 TDs
2011 Greg Jennings: 949 yards, 9 TDs
2010 James Jones: 679 yards, 5 TDs
2009 Donald Driver: 1061 yards, 6 TDs
2008 Donald Driver: 1012 yards, 5 TDs 

Is Lazard good enough to hold off Funchess?
And if so, is he closer to a 2017 Randall Cobb, or 2011 Greg Jennings? 

The WR2 position on the Packers is going to be as clear as mud this season. They just signed Funchess, MVS while having a bad sophomore year could put it together, and St. Brown is still an unknown. Lazard has maybe a slight edge going into the season but do you really want to rely on any Packers skill position player that isn't Adams or Jones?

• Like 1

I gave up in the weekly task of trying to figure out who the Packers WR# 2 will be. It’s a failed mission ... and been this way for the past few years. On top of all that, they added Funchess to this mess . So in any given week it can be MVS, St Brown, Lazard, Kumerow , or Funchess going off . No thank you . I’m not even sure Rodgers can support 2 wide receivers anymore ... his twilight days are over. 

• Like 2

Yep I wouldn't touch likely touch any, certainly for no more than minimum bid price of $1, but if I did, it would be Lazard. He proved it on the field while the others didn't. In fact if Funchess wasn't signed I'd definitely be looking at him in the late rounds, but Funchess has the talent to take over WR2 (or more likely make it a bigger mess). 

I’m out too. Maybe as a flyer, but the GB offense is adams and jones now.

only for 14 team and 16 team leagues or if your league is deep with 20 roster spots in 12 team leagues like on myffpc. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RunCMC said:

I gave up in the weekly task of trying to figure out who the Packers WR# 2 will be. It’s a failed mission ... and been this way for the past few years. On top of all that, they added Funchess to this mess . So in any given week it can be MVS, St Brown, Lazard, Kumerow , or Funchess going off . No thank you . I’m not even sure Rodgers can support 2 wide receivers anymore ... his twilight days are over. 

Amen.  People, including myself, have been chasing "Rodgers' #2" for years now and it has produced virtually nothing.  

Just look at last season for example.  Rodgers eclipsed 4,000 yards and Devante Adams missed a few games.  The top WR behind Adams last season was Lazard at WR77, and then MVS at WR79.  No thank you.

Edited by Fort4242
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Amen.  People, including myself, have been chasing "Rodgers' #2" for years now and it has produced virtually nothing.  

Just look at last season for example.  Rodgers eclipsed 4,000 yards and Devante Adams missed a few games.  The top WR behind Adams last season was Lazard at WR77, and then MVS at WR79.  No thank you.

Exactly, long gone are the days of Jordy Nelson and Co. Rodgers has never been the same ever since his 2017 collarbone fracture. It makes sense that slowly through the years GreenBay has changed their offensive mentality to a more run friendly , defensive minded system. Matt LaFluer & his team are a much better fit for Aaron actually, he's just not a game changer anymore at the quarterback position; but more of a game manager at this point in his career.

2013 Injured (clavicle) :      Started 9 games

2017 Injured (collarbone) :  Started 7 games

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Yall coming around on this guy?

The Packers #2 chase has been fruitless the last few years, I know, we all know.

But can this year be different?

I think it can.

Funchess WAS gonna make this a mess, but he decided to help out with the fantasy confusion and opt himself out, leaving Lazard to get it.

6'5 - 4.54 - 38" vertical - He profiles almost identical to Mike Evans.

At pick #156 it's getting kind of slim there, so I really like his upside as a potential WR3 starter occasionally.  

This will be his 3rd year, and we all know that 3rd year WR breakout wives tale.

He's kind of been separating himself as the #2 from the other rookie busts.

Geronimo had a good run for a few games as the #2 before he hurt himself.

I know it's tough to get consistent points when D Adams is drawing 12-16 targets a game, but I think this year might be different as Lazard establishes his presence more and Rodgers trusts his big frame to go and get it.

I also found it VERY noticeable that the packers spent a 3rd round pick on a FB.  This to me, leads me to believe there's going to be a lot more 2 WR sets in GB than in years past, and if I can roster the guy that's on the field for 70% of the snaps with a HOF QB throwing the ball I find value in that, especially in the 160s pick range.

And before someone corrects me, I'm aware that Josiah profiles as a potential H-Back / TE / Aaron Hernandez, but year 1, I expect him to be more or less a FB only.

What say yall?  Burned too many times in the past searching for the #2 or you ready to take the plunge again?

• Like 2

I'm in for a dart throw.  Not expecting a major score here but he had a few good games last year, stands to reason he can separate himself a bit there and make something happen

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

I'm in for a dart throw.  Not expecting a major score here but he had a few good games last year, stands to reason he can separate himself a bit there and make something happen

I think he can be a better Geronimo Allison if he can stay healthy.

He was playing awesome for the Pack in 2018 before his injury.

Then in 2019 he either wasn't fully recovered or he was just completely phased out of the offense.  

I'm honestly not sure because I didn't have any shares of Packers in 2019 so I didn't really follow them that closely.

12 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yall coming around on this guy?

The Packers #2 chase has been fruitless the last few years, I know, we all know.

But can this year be different?

I think it can.

Funchess WAS gonna make this a mess, but he decided to help out with the fantasy confusion and opt himself out, leaving Lazard to get it.

6'5 - 4.54 - 38" vertical - He profiles almost identical to Mike Evans.

At pick #156 it's getting kind of slim there, so I really like his upside as a potential WR3 starter occasionally.  

This will be his 3rd year, and we all know that 3rd year WR breakout wives tale.

He's kind of been separating himself as the #2 from the other rookie busts.

Geronimo had a good run for a few games as the #2 before he hurt himself.

I know it's tough to get consistent points when D Adams is drawing 12-16 targets a game, but I think this year might be different as Lazard establishes his presence more and Rodgers trusts his big frame to go and get it.

I also found it VERY noticeable that the packers spent a 3rd round pick on a FB.  This to me, leads me to believe there's going to be a lot more 2 WR sets in GB than in years past, and if I can roster the guy that's on the field for 70% of the snaps with a HOF QB throwing the ball I find value in that, especially in the 160s pick range.

And before someone corrects me, I'm aware that Josiah profiles as a potential H-Back / TE / Aaron Hernandez, but year 1, I expect him to be more or less a FB only.

What say yall?  Burned too many times in the past searching for the #2 or you ready to take the plunge again?

I have Lazard and hope he is the number two, as he finished the season with high snap count in last three games indicating he won the role. Only other comment is that I think Green Bay let Dan Vitale walk in free agency so the needed a replacement. I doubt Josiah is a serious threat to Lazard targets. His competition is MVS, and Eq St. Brown. But I think Lazard won the role and it will go this way unless he disappoints. So he is a great last round sleeper. 

26 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

I have Lazard and hope he is the number two, as he finished the season with high snap count in last three games indicating he won the role. Only other comment is that I think Green Bay let Dan Vitale walk in free agency so the needed a replacement. I doubt Josiah is a serious threat to Lazard targets. His competition is MVS, and Eq St. Brown. But I think Lazard won the role and it will go this way unless he disappoints. So he is a great last round sleeper. 

I'm not implying Josiah is a threat for targets. 

I was implying with him in the field it'd be more likely they run more 2 WR formations and if lazard could be that 2nd WR on the field all the time there's value in that. 

No stats, no expert articles, no sources, it is just a hunch. I think this guy can, and will be a solid WR to have on your team at the back end of the draft and might possibly be snatch off the undradted pool. I’m going to go ahead and project 60/900/5TDs. 

He is raw. Very raw. Not sure why, but he reminding me of a very young Hops, not their gamestyle but rather their path. For some reason I think he can be a great 1-2 punch for Arod. I’m talking about Boldin/Fitz with the Lizzard and DA. 

Yes, I’m saying Arod will have an Arizona Kurt Warner type of year. 

• Like 1

I think they're gonna pound the rock this season. That's how things look. They want Rodgers to manage the game it seems and I expect his volume numbers to be unimpressive and for this to ripple out to all pass catchers not named Adams.

5 hours ago, Spyplane said:

I think they're gonna pound the rock this season. That's how things look. They want Rodgers to manage the game it seems and I expect his volume numbers to be unimpressive and for this to ripple out to all pass catchers not named Adams.

Exactly been this way for a few years now, especially under LaFleur's tutelage.  I'd still take a late round flyer on Lazard , maybe see how things shake out the first 4 weeks, and just cut him if he disappoints.   

This team is 100% building to be a run first team, however Aaron Rodgers is the most efficient QB of the last 10 years. 

He will still 100% make 1 WR fantasy relevant and can also get it done with 2 barring health. And if Lazard can be that 2nd WR on the field the majority of snaps I am throwing my dart at him being fantasy relevant. Especially for deep leagues. 

He's still going to push 4000 yards and 30 TD'S. 

On 8/14/2020 at 9:28 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This team is 100% building to be a run first team, however Aaron Rodgers is the most efficient QB of the last 10 years. 

He will still 100% make 1 WR fantasy relevant and can also get it done with 2 barring health. And if Lazard can be that 2nd WR on the field the majority of snaps I am throwing my dart at him being fantasy relevant. Especially for deep leagues. 

He's still going to push 4000 yards and 30 TD'S. 

Lazard is an unimpressive player. I'm not banking on him but I hope you hit a homer with him.

• Like 1

• The Athletic's Matt Schneidman reports Allen Lazard has "solidified" the Packers’ belief that he can be the primary receiving threat behind Davante Adams.

“Everybody’s talked about Allen,” Aaron Rodgers told media on Tuesday. “And it’s pretty easy because the guy is a professional. He has worked on his game. I think for him to separate himself, he needs to continue to improve on the things he did last year.” The rave reviews occurred after Lazard hauled in a 33-yard reception and 77-yard catch-and-run touchdown pass from Rodgers at Tuesday's practice. Packers media is forbidden from speculating on first-team usage, so these tea leaves are the most we'll hear on the team's ongoing battle behind Adams. Lazard remains the favorite to produce as a WR3/FLEX option in the 13th round of fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Aug 26, 2020, 8:52 AM ET

•  
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 8:02 AM, Spyplane said:

Lazard is an unimpressive player. I'm not banking on him but I hope you hit a homer with him.

Packers remind me of the Tennessee Titans. Wonder why that is?

Hyper-efficient QB with low volume, one viable / perhaps inconsistent option, and control the clock with the run game.

IDK why people are high on Packers for fantasy value...but I'm out for this year aside from Adams and possibly Jones / Dillon.

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Packers remind me of the Tennessee Titans. Wonder why that is?

Hyper-efficient QB with low volume, one viable / perhaps inconsistent option, and control the clock with the run game.

IDK why people are high on Packers for fantasy value...but I'm out for this year aside from Adams and possibly Jones / Dillon.

Past history without proper consideration of the changes they've made in the last 365.

Drafting a guy at pick #144 to throw a dart at isn't really "being high on Packers for fantasy value".

Drafting him at pick #90 I would agree though.

I fully intend to draft him and enjoy the fruits of my WR3 I got in the teens round.

This ship is leaving port, you're either on it, or you're gonna be chasing after it covered in tears and regret.

• Like 4

With all the MVS hype is this guy even worth hanging onto over someone like Chase Claypool or Denzel Mims 

6 hours ago, Proto24 said:

With all the MVS hype is this guy even worth hanging onto over someone like Chase Claypool or Denzel Mims 

I'm thinking of dropping him for L Shenault, J Kelley or B Edwards........not only MVS hype, they also signed Robert Foster yesterday, and in the end just not sure anyone will emerge as a true #2 wr----seems more likely it will be spread out over a number of guys behind D Adams

I'd rather take a chance on one of those guys above to "emerge"