dkup

New to fantasy baseball. Need help! Here’s my team:

This is a 12 team H2H cats league. R/Hr/RBI/SB/Avg , W/SV/K/Era/Whip minimum 20 innings pitched per week.

My team: 

C - Vazquez

1B - Rizzo

2B - Altuve

3B - Jeff McNeil

SS - Lindor

OF - L. Cain, Y. Alvarez, Mercado

UT - Goldschmidt, Eaton

BN - Edman, B. Reynolds, Verdugo, A. McCutchen

SP - Scherzer, Gray, Tanaka, Lynn, R. Ray, Urquidy, J. Happ

RP - Hader, E. Diaz, D. May

Have 8 spots to start pitchers 

Notable guys on waiver:

Ottavino, Rich Hill, Pomeranz, Britton, Hamels, D. Murphy, J. Alfaro, A. Pollock, E. Pagan, B. Posey

Any help/feedback/moves would be much appreciated. I have no idea what I’m doing 😬

Maybe it would help if I asked more specific questions. Also, this is redraft.

How many pitchers vs batters do you like having on the bench in this kind of format?

How many SP vs RP do you like holding?

Would you drop Happ for Rich Hill or Cole Hamels?

2 hours ago, dkup said:

Maybe it would help if I asked more specific questions. Also, this is redraft.

How many pitchers vs batters do you like having on the bench in this kind of format?

How many SP vs RP do you like holding?

Would you drop Happ for Rich Hill or Cole Hamels?

For Hamels yes for Hill no

1 hour ago, hockeyfan77 said:

For Hamels yes for Hill no

I'd drop Happ for Rich Hill in a heartbeat.  Why?  Hill produces way better stats and in this short of a season he shouldn't tire out much.

Your team is fine and well balanced.  And we all started sometime so welcome to fantasy baseball.  A weird season to start of course but the principles still apply.  Your team looks fine. 

Just keep an eye on the free agent pool and don't be afraid to make changes throughout the season.  Watch for trends with hot players by looking at their stats often.  On Yahoo you can look at one week stats, two week stats and month and year.  Work from the longest field of stats backwards to the shortest to see players trending up so if one of your players gets injured and out for the season you will have a good idea who you want to replace him with.

Ottavino, Rich Hill, Pomeranz, Britton, Hamels, D. Murphy, J. Alfaro, A. Pollock, E. Pagan, B. Posey

Stay away from Posey and Pollock.  Posey is pretty much through and Pollock, if he can even stay healthy, will probably be in a platoon.  Murphy might be too.  Since you don't have a Saves+Holds category then Ottavino, Britton, May and Pomeranz aren't much use unless their teams' closers get injured or they get covid.  Closers can change during even a short season so you can always check out the closer thread here though it is full of rumors that don't always turn out.  Also http://closermonkey.com/

Just monitor the Players stat page on your platform and see what they did in 2019 and what they are doing concurrently and don't worry abut big name players per se. 

Also I'd recommend bookmarking this site, the stat bible of baseball.  It will come in handy down the road as you get into fantasy baseball more and more: https://www.baseball-reference.com/

Welcome to fantasy baseball and best of luck this season.  And please play this game for fun first and foremost whatever you do.  It's a great little hobby.

• Like 2

Hill is worth a spot on someone's team, esp. in H2h.  Whether I would drop Happ for him or someone else is debatable.  Happ was nothing special last year (though many suspect a lot of his problems were the result of the juiced ball and we still do not know how that situation is going to play out this year), but Hill is certain to get hurt, so the real question is when.  And the move to Minn and away from the pitcher's paradise that is Dodger Stadium is not going to help at all.  Hamel's I would want no part of. 

As was noted already by others, you can toss any middle relievers.  They are not worth the roster spots in 5x5 scoring even in H2h unless you have a very deep league.  And don't waste your time with backup Cs or has beens like Posey.

• Like 1

@The Big Bat Theory @secretagentman

thanks for the help! I dropped Happ for Fulmer (threw him on IL) and Rich Hill. Are y’all thinking that holding May isn’t great? I’m not sure who I’d replace him with and he’s got a shot at being in the rotation I think?

Is this a good place to ask about start/sit type things during the season? This is the only community I’ve found to be really helpful so far. Again appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dkup said:

@The Big Bat Theory @secretagentman

thanks for the help! I dropped Happ for Fulmer (threw him on IL) and Rich Hill. Are y’all thinking that holding May isn’t great? I’m not sure who I’d replace him with and he’s got a shot at being in the rotation I think?

Is this a good place to ask about start/sit type things during the season? This is the only community I’ve found to be really helpful so far. Again appreciate the feedback, thanks!

This is probably the best forum place I know to learn. 

Perhaps a better way to learn quickly -- though read this forum too -- is to join a private league on your platform and find people in that league to talk too.  Even if you feel over your head well you know what they say about swimming.  Can't learn it on dry land.   My first private league was a small 10 team roto dynasty one with some friendly owners who mentored me.  Now I wouldn't consider playing in anything less than a 16 team full dynasty league with large rosters and the 10 NA slots Yahoo allows max for prospects and would like to add a 20 team or more one to my roster of teams maybe next year.  It's a progression thing in other words.

If you join a private league and don't like it then don't feel guilty about leaving it.  I've had nice commissioners in all my leagues down the years but the best is where I ended with a really nice guy AND really competent and on the ball and patient as well.  Some of the others were nice but not as organized to say the least.  A good commish makes a big difference.

And when I say join a private league there are two options.  A new league just starting out or as a replacement manager for a league where one of the owners has left.  I have come to like the latter because I like pretending I'm a GM hired by that team to build it up slowly to contend down the road.  This is dynasty format of course.  (The sub-forum here -- League Finder Service -- has league openings of both kinds and as spring training 2.0 winds down the commishes recruiting will becoming greater and greater so I'd read it even if not joining another league this year just to get the flavor of the thing and what is available).

Definitions.  Ignore if this is old news to you:  "Dynasties" can keep their players forever or drop them or whatever.  A subset is "dynasty contract leagues" where you keep the player for as long as the contract you sign him for lasts like real baseball.  They are the most complicated leagues.  General dynasties don't deal with contracts, you own your guys forever period. 

"Keeper" leagues have a set number of "keepers" you can retain from year to year like say 5 or 8 or 15 or whatever the league rules are.  Sometimes (often actually) people misuse the term "dynasty" when they really mean  "keeper" so read the fine details. 

"Re-Drafts" are where you draft a new team from scratch year to year.  All public leagues are re-drafts.  But there are many private ones too which just mirror the public ones but with the same guys playing in the league from year to year.  I personally stopped playing in public leagues after a few years.  I wanted my own teams to run down through the years.  I didn't "discover" Jacob deGrom just to see him go away the next year you see, hah.

Whatever you do stay away from private leagues that play for money at first because there are some scammers out there.  If you want to move into that area wait a couple of years or find someone you can really trust and make sure the league keeps it's money in League Safe or something like that.  Me I don't bet on anything so I never would play in those leagues period but a lot of people do.

I don't know if you are on Yahoo or not but their phone app has league and individual texting built in so you can email fellow owners but also text anyone privately as well.  And the all league feature where everyone sees all the texts is good too.  Can't speak for other platforms.  But the texting is good if you build up some friends in these leagues and you want advise on the fly.

As for Dustin May he may be up or kept as a prospect on the taxi squad MLB is using this season since minor league ball is shut down and they need bodies in shape as reserves.  But if you are going with a prospect type that may be up I'd go with Mackenzie Gore instead.  Best pitching prospect in all of baseball.  Now he may be kept in reserve at first but at least put him on your watch list and if he gets the call grab him.

If May isn't up you can always use that slot to stream pitching as needed.  In h2h you are allowed around 6 moves a week and streaming pitching with a couple of these moves is used by many people.  I streamed pitching a few moves a week sometimes when needed when I still played h2h mainly.  Wasn't gung ho about it but not against if either.  It is a two-edged sword.  You can gain more Wins and K's but the pitchers can also take a hit on your ERA and WHIP. 

Anyway enough. Got carried away here trying to avoid work, heh.  This is getting way too long.  Good luck again.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

@The Big Bat Theory

I’m an avid fantasy football player, have been for many years. Won 8/11 leagues last year 😁. Some of my league mates wanted to try out baseball since we’re all baseball fans anyways which is why we decided to create this league. It’s a small $10 buy in just for a little incentive to win. 3 or 4 of the guys are seasoned fantasy baseball players but most of us are brand new. Have really enjoyed the draft and the complexity of strategies baseball affords vs football so I feel I’ll really get into it but for now just getting my feet wet. 

So far all were doing is redraft, we’ll probably do a dynasty soon after everyone has a feel for how the game is played, next year or the year after I’d assume. Appreciate all the reading material since I’m being quarantined again (bar owner in Texas 😡) I will definitely be active here.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One of the big differences between Fantasy Baseball and Fantasy Football is the time frame of player development.

Guys very rarely come from absolutely nowhere to explode onto the scene, especially once your league is plugged into the minor league prospect portion of drafting.  So multi-year rebuilding projects are much more feasible, and you really can build a team from scratch.

I play both every year, and Baseball is more of a year long social project, and Football is more a weekly event.  Similar to the actual sports now that I look at it that way.

Also, if your league is allowing daily roster moves it really tweaks the game in some different ways from Football.  Carrying a stud platoon guy is a far more palatable option...

Edited by Heretic
Added Daily Moves note
  • Like 1

@Heretic

Daily roster moves are allowed and 6 adds per week. Do the adds not count FA? I’ve added 2 FA and it says I’m still 0/6 for the week. It only counts if it’s a waiver add?

Also what exactly is a platoon guy? Is that the equivalent of a running back by committee situation?

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, dkup said:

@The Big Bat Theory

I’m an avid fantasy football player, have been for many years. Won 8/11 leagues last year 😁. Some of my league mates wanted to try out baseball since we’re all baseball fans anyways which is why we decided to create this league. It’s a small $10 buy in just for a little incentive to win. 3 or 4 of the guys are seasoned fantasy baseball players but most of us are brand new. Have really enjoyed the draft and the complexity of strategies baseball affords vs football so I feel I’ll really get into it but for now just getting my feet wet.

So far all were doing is redraft, we’ll probably do a dynasty soon after everyone has a feel for how the game is played, next year or the year after I’d assume. Appreciate all the reading material since I’m being quarantined again (bar owner in Texas 😡) I will definitely be active here.

Thanks again!

Thanks for filling me in.  Sounds like you have a good set-up from the get go and some seasoned vets to help the rest of you along.  If dynasty is too big a jump next year you could try keepers next before moving up to dynasty.  Keepers can be set to only 3 or 4 or as many as you guys agree on.  Then the following year or so switch over to full dynasty.  In both formats you still re-draft but have less draft picks is all.  Much less in full dynasty obviously but you still want to clear a spot or two for someone better.

You will find that baseball is really made for fantasy play because it is the biggest stat driven sport going.  It is the sport fantasy sports were born from originally of course back in the day where the commish had to make out standings by hand based on box scores in the newspaper. 

And it is less luck driven as in you lose your star QB or running back in football and you can just go belly up quickly.  But baseball you build a whole team and can withstand some major injuries if you build in back-ups etc to the team.  Also there is no "given" your star receiver will be thrown too a lot given double coverages etc so it varies week to week.  But in baseball you KNOW all your hitters will indeed get ABs in their game.  Well if they are in the line-up anyway.  You might want to add this to your bookmarks especially on your phone since their phone app is well done:

https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

Weather report for possible rain outs?  https://rotogrinders.com/weather/mlb

Yes baseball can get quite complicated.  🤪

Daily roster moves are allowed and 6 adds per week. Do the adds not count FA? I’ve added 2 FA and it says I’m still 0/6 for the week. It only counts if it’s a waiver add?

Also what exactly is a platoon guy? Is that the equivalent of a running back by committee situation?

Before the first game of the season you can make any number of moves.  Starting Opening Day the 6 moves per week limit cuts in.

A platoon player is one that basically shares a position with another player.  Example:  Mitch Moreland bats left and hits righties great but is lousy against lefties on the whole.  So he is usually "platooned" against righties with another guy -- a right-handed bat -- who hits lefties better.  In your league platoon players aren't that important.  There wil be plenty of good full time players.  When you get up to 16 to 20 team leagues where you are desperate for players that is when they are far more important.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, dkup said:

@Heretic

On the 0/6, it's likely that the competitive "Weeks" haven't started yet.  Often there's a scramble after the draft to replace players on the DL.

A platoon guy is someone like Joc Pederson, who doesn't play against lefty (or righty, but they're less useful) starting pitchers. 

Joc as my example compiled 36 HR, 74 RBI 83 Runs and 1 SB last year, while sitting against all Lefty SPs.  If you can bench him and get stats for the games he sits, his "lack" of RBI and Runs is far more acceptable.

TBBT's right though, in your case you're probably not really using many.  Might bump someone like Joc up 10-15 slots in the ranking, probably still bottom of your roster filler.

Edited by Heretic
ETA comment on TBBT's post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Along with Gore, another SP to keep an eye on this year is Nate Pearson: I would also keep May, he could put up some good numbers this year

• Like 1