bomont

2020 Token PK thread

Whaddya got? Anyone worth more than a late pick/$1 bid?  Tucker, Butker, Lutz look good. Gay you can't ignore with Brady in town.

And why haven't the Colts re-signed Vinatieri? 

I don't have a kicker for any of my teams, I will wait to right before each week and see if I need to pick one up before the Monday night game(s)...You can use that spot for a RB cuff in case of injuries from that weeks games...Rather take a chance on a lotto ticket

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I don't have a kicker for any of my teams, I will wait to right before each week and see if I need to pick one up before the Monday night game(s)...You can use that spot for a RB cuff in case of injuries from that weeks games...Rather take a chance on a lotto ticket

To combat this, we use 2 kickers in our league. And therefore all kickers pretty much rostered. Good luck trying to win matches with ~15-20 points in the hole each week. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ginocan said:

To combat this, we use 2 kickers in our league. And therefore all kickers pretty much rostered. Good luck trying to win matches with ~15-20 points in the hole each week. 

Excuse my French but what the f---?

One kicker is already a pain in the a**. If I had to face some dude that drops 30+ points on me from kickers I’d go bungee jumping without the rope.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Excuse my French but what the f---?

One kicker is already a pain in the a**. If I had to face some dude that drops 30+ points on me from kickers I’d go bungee jumping without the rope.

Sorry, I don't get this thinking. What does it matter whether you get killed by a TE or a K? Or in fact beat your opponent?

It's all silly anyway, and as long as we all play with the same rules, why not include the one position that actually touches the ball with the foot. 

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Sorry, I don't get this thinking. What does it matter whether you get killed by a TE or a K? Or in fact beat your opponent?

It's all silly anyway, and as long as we all play with the same rules, why not include the one position that actually touches the ball with the foot. 

Kickers are luck. That’s why. It’s all luck. Just look at how they perform week to week and year to year.

Fantasy football is already crazy luck based relative to other sports. Having a kicker isn’t an issue and is part of fantasy but I can’t figure out for the life of me why anyone would want to make their league have 2 kicker slots. 

22 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Kickers are luck. That’s why. It’s all luck. Just look at how they perform week to week and year to year.

Some kickers have higher percentages; and kickers in more potent offices have more attempts. I generally adjust during the season, and I generally end up with a high scoring kicker except in very competitive leagues, which shows me it's not all luck.

24 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I can’t figure out for the life of me why anyone would want to make their league have 2 kicker slots.

Because it's easy enough to find a top-10 or top-15 kicker, but 2 takes more effort, so it rewards the more active players. I don't think it would work in a 14 or 16- team league though ;)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bomont said:

Whaddya got? Anyone worth more than a late pick/$1 bid?  Tucker, Butker, Lutz look good. Gay you can't ignore with Brady in town.

And why haven't the Colts re-signed Vinatieri? 

I think Vinatieri is applying for Medicare so maybe that's why...

11 hours ago, ginocan said:

Wow.  In a 14 team league, it would be hard.  Hard enough to get people to even start discussing 2 QB leagues.  And now there are some who are actually in 2 K leagues?  Yikes.

9 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Fantasy football is already crazy luck based relative to other sports. Having a kicker isn’t an issue and is part of fantasy but I can’t figure out for the life of me why anyone would want to make their league have 2 kicker slots. 

9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Some kickers have higher percentages; and kickers in more potent offices have more attempts. I generally adjust during the season, and I generally end up with a high scoring kicker except in very competitive leagues, which shows me it's not all luck.

Agree with Gohawks.  Lots of leagues have eliminated kickers to get rid of the random luck factor that decides weeks.  My league still wants a kicker because it's part of the game.  But I just can't imagine then having two roster spots that are mostly predicated on luck.  Sure, you can have "the best kicker in the league", but what if his team pitches a 28-0 shutout?  Then you've just got yourself 4 points.  Meanwhile, the Bungles lose a low scoring 17-15 affair.  But the kicker got 5 field goals - which included 3 forty yarders and a 50 burger.  So your opponents kicker just dropped 20 on you.  While you selected wisely, picked a great kicker on a great team, but only got 4.  You lose your week's matchup because of that 16 point differential.  How is that good?  Now you want to do that twice?  Sure, maybe the "it will even out if you have two" line of thinking, but just can't see why anybody would want that in a league.

with Gostkowski gone from the Pats and Zuerlein gone from the Rams, the number of top plug and play kickers is down a couple - really not many left now I'd say...

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ginocan said:

I would never play in a league that rosters more players in a position than NFL teams carry: so in the end I will never have to worry about it

Edited by hockeyfan77

Posted (edited)

I am targetting a kicker in round 13 -   Yes, because it is a lucky number.   It has to be Slye for me.  If you are going to make the effort to target a kicker, it has to help somehow with your team name.

The "Slye Chubbs"  is my intention this year.

giphy.gif

Edited by Sivaro

44 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

I am targetting a kicker in round 13 -   Yes, because it is a lucky number.   It has to be Slye for me.  If you are going to make the effort to target a kicker, it has to help somehow with your team name.

The "Slye Chubbs"  is my intention this year.

Joey Slye was erratic but did hit 8 40 yarders and 8 50 burgers.  That's killer for a kicker.

I'm not sure though I understand what a sly chub is.  Seems like you could pair up Chubb with that Atlanta kicker Koo to make a pretty good name.

3 hours ago, dschddny said:

with Gostkowski gone from the Pats and Zuerlein gone from the Rams, the number of top plug and play kickers is down a couple - really not many left now I'd say...

Tucker is still around and Lutz has been fairly consistent.  I also think Gonzalez/Gay have a good chance of being the new guard of consistent performers.

Tucker, Butker, Lutz, Zuerlein, or who cares.  

Also gotta pimp Jason Sanders since he's your best bet to score a TD.    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Tucker, Butker, Lutz, Zuerlein, or who cares.  

Also gotta pimp Jason Sanders since he's your best bet to score a TD.    

Agree with the 4 and I add Gould to the mix with his track record and a good 49er team, Lutz has the earliest bye of the group so he's 5th for me, but if I don't land one of them I'll be the last (or one of the last teams if others are thinking the same) to grab a kicker in the last round.

If Tucker or Butker slip later than expected I might grab one of them, otherwise K will be one of my last two picks.  We don't allow managers to not draft a K in our league, so that isn't an option.

Here's my position on PKs: Get them out of all redraft leagues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Here's my position on PKs: Get them out of all redraft leagues. 

Get them out of all leagues: redraft, keeper and dynasty: and I was a kicker in high school!

Edited by hockeyfan77

On 6/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, Sivaro said:

If you are going to make the effort to target a kicker, it has to help somehow with your team name.

(not making a joke about Tampa's kicker)

I did name a team Drunker Than Bironas once though.  Ever since then its been mostly Harambe related monikers

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Get them out of all leagues: redraft, keeper and dynasty: and I was a kicker in high school!

We should never ignore scoring postions.   Furthermore, Kickers are a HUGE part of the real game.       I will never join a league that forgets about the real game contributions of the K .   They can WIN games, in league and in real games every week.   Having a Butker, Slye, Tucker...etc, that will have big scoring weeks is very handy.  I generally go for a great kicker that can nail the long shot earlier than most, and have been happy to get them,  over a bench spot that may or may not pan out.

3 hours ago, Sivaro said:

We should never ignore scoring postions.   Furthermore, Kickers are a HUGE part of the real game.       I will never join a league that forgets about the real game contributions of the K .   They can WIN games, in league and in real games every week.   Having a Butker, Slye, Tucker...etc, that will have big scoring weeks is very handy.  I generally go for a great kicker that can nail the long shot earlier than most, and have been happy to get them,  over a bench spot that may or may not pan out.

Well punters are a huge part games: why not have them? When they do pan out they can help you win leagues, kickers don't... The average difference between kickers is small: In my league top kicker had 150 points, while the #20 kicker had 102.50 which is a difference of 2.96 points per week...

4 hours ago, BrianM said:

I did name a team Drunker Than Bironas once though.

Ouch. I didn't know that story, but that's really really sad. Am I the only one who thinks that looks like suicide by car?

• Like 1

Secret to beating the “kickers are all luck” set.

Believe they are not all luck and manage your team accordingly.

Friendly jabbing aside, every year I notice two things:

1. Kickers on the wire doing better than the one I drafted.

2. Almost everyone in the league not noticing this.

Look at it this way, and in the rant thread if you need a refresher: How many of us have been in agony by losing by a point or two? We agonize all week over so many other decisions. 

Anyway. A league without kickers would feel a bit less fun to me. I especially like it when missed FGs is a LOSS of points in the scoring settings. MFers go apoplectic.

Certainly I draw the line at rostering/starting more than one. That S is loco and if you want to combat the “I’m gonna draft every lottery ticket RB from sea to shining sea” set, just lobby for rules about drafting a full starting roster instead of all those MFin JD Mickissicks(sp).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Secret to beating the “kickers are all luck” set.

Believe they are not all luck and manage your team accordingly.

Friendly jabbing aside, every year I notice two things:

1. Kickers on the wire doing better than the one I drafted.

2. Almost everyone in the league not noticing this.

+1, at least for friends/family leagues. I'm also in a couple leagues where everyone does this.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Well punters are a huge part games: why not have them? When they do pan out they can help you win leagues, kickers don't... The average difference between kickers is small: In my league top kicker had 150 points, while the #20 kicker had 102.50 which is a difference of 2.96 points per week...

And I have won and lost games by the kicker , just like an NFL team does in real life. Slye won me two games last year hitting long kicks and having good weeks. And,  It makes the fantasy game more interesting as other have noted already.