countseth

Comprehensive List of Opt-Out Players

The idea is to tally the list of all players opting out of the abbreviated 2020 season. Please list all names on each additional entry. 
Maybe we can add an additional column of players who might benefit as a result of each opt-out?

To start:

Mike Leake

Joe Ross

Ryan Zimmerman

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

So we are making this separate from the 60 pool players one?  Aren't they interwoven?

I guess, but some of these guys are on the player pool lists (Zimmerman was, right?). So it’s somewhat of a separate issue, especially if some players find it easier to opt out as others declare they’re opting out. 

• Like 1

Perhaps this thread will be more unique if we do it this way:

OPT OUT               BENEFITS

Mike Leake             Merrill Kelly

Joe Ross                ???

Ryan Zimmerman   Eric Thames

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, countseth said:

I guess, but some of these guys are on the player pool lists (Zimmerman was, right?). So it’s somewhat of a separate issue, especially if some players find it easier to opt out as others declare they’re opting out. 

Nope they aren't or have been removed if they were.  There is even an official paragraph about Zimmerman opting out but not saying he has retired.  Also Howie Kendrick benefits from Zimmerman being out as well.

As for Ross?  Before his announcement there was this from the pool site so I guess the two remaining guys will be battling for the spot.:

The question remains whether the Nationals will go with a four-man starting rotation -- Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin and Sánchez -- or include a fifth starter. Last season, they implemented a combination of Erick Fedde, Joe Ross and Austin Voth. Ross made a strong case for the fifth-starter spot with a pair of scoreless outings during Spring Training.

I recall Voth has a nice little debut last season.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So we are making this separate from the 60 pool players one?  Aren't they interwoven?

Haven't found this ? Link?   🙈

Edited by xyzzy
resolved.

Keep em' coming! Good for these guys making a stand for what they believe in and want to do.  I fully support it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, B_M_Inc said:

Keep em' coming! Good for these guys making a stand for what they believe in and want to do.  I fully support it.

I do too.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, countseth said:

OPT OUT        BENEFITS

Mike Leake     Merrill Kelly

Joe Ross        Voth?

R Zimm     Thames/Kendrick

Ian Desmond      Rodgers?

Edited by countseth

1 hour ago, B_M_Inc said:

Definitely refreshing as opposed to the "we aren't risking our lives unless we get full pay" crowd

Another one though he is still a FA when he made this decision:

Free agent Tyson Ross has joined his brother in saying he's sitting out the season.

Nationals starter Joe Ross said earlier this week that he was opting out. Ross was in camp with the Giants on a minor league deal, but he was released last week.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                         Jul 2, 2020, 12:40 PM ET

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Another one though he is still a FA when he made this decision:

Ya, I laughed a bit at this one when I read the RW blurb.  Tyson Ross was released, then waits, and when seemingly has no offers says "ya, I'm not playing either", in attempt to save face.  GL Tyson, your career is likely done.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, countseth said:

Ian Desmond      Rodgers?

Matt Kemp. Yes, I’m being serious. No, I’m not happy about it.

• Like 1

Don’t know what is going on with St closer but I am liking Miller

Another now aging fringe player opted out:

Welington Castillo has opted out of playing this season.

Castillo signed a minor league contract with the Nationals back in January and probably would have been carried as their third catcher, but he'll join teammates Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross in sitting out of MLB's planned 60-game 2020 campaign. Mike Leake of the Diamondbacks, Ian Desmond of the Rockies, and free agent Tyson Ross are also declining to participate this year amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Source: Jesse Dougherty on Twitter     Jul 3, 2020, 1:51 PM ET

And someone really BIG is still wanting and hoping to play but admits things could change:

Mike Trout admitted Friday that he and his wife, Jessica, discuss daily the possibility of him sitting out the 2020 season.

The couple is expecting their first baby in August, so it's understandable that Trout is wrestling with the decision. “I love playing this game. We want to play,” Trout said. “It’s going to come down to how safe we’re going to be. If there’s an outbreak, you definitely have to reconsider. There’s a lot of questions. I love baseball, but I have to do what’s right for my family. It’s going to be a tough decision if something happens down the road. I think the biggest thing is, these next few weeks, if I test positive, it’s my first child, and I have to be there. If I’m positive, doctors have told me I can’t see the baby for 14 days. Jess won’t see the baby for 14 days if she tests positive. We’re going to be upset.” It sounds like Trout is tentatively leaning toward playing as things stand right now but could change his mind depending on how things play out. Given his situation, you could hardly blame him for sitting out.

Source: Los Angeles Times                Jul 3, 2020, 1:16 PM ET

• Like 1

I almost posted the Trout thing because if a player or two like him opt out, you’ll hear a small ruckus from fantasy owners wanting to redraft or cancel their leagues this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, countseth said:

I almost posted the Trout thing because if a player or two like him opt out, you’ll hear a small ruckus from fantasy owners wanting to redraft or cancel their leagues this year. 

If Trout opts out you will probably see a lot more big names drop out as well. Especially anyone that can while getting service and pay. They know Trout will be the face of opting out no matter what. I would think there are a lot of players that are afraid to drop out due to the PR aspect.

31 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

If Trout opts out you will probably see a lot more big names drop out as well. Especially anyone that can while getting service and pay. They know Trout will be the face of opting out no matter what. I would think there are a lot of players that are afraid to drop out due to the PR aspect.

Or more veteran pitcher free agents like Leake. I'm not saying it was about money but imo I'd have done the same thing and not played for the 5 or so million in this shorten season and risk injury or just not being a hot commodity. He will pitch for 16 million next season. I guess what I'm saying it is more probable then not Mike Leake earning 16 million in 2021 is greater then his 5-6 million in 2020 and what he would get on the open market for 2021 with a injury possible making it 0.

14 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Don't know if this belongs here but Cleveland might opt out of their name 

Sigh. I get it.  But my username becomes less relevant by the day! 

I hope they don't pick something super safe and lame. Go back to the Spiders if you must change.  

• Like 1