Rotoworld.com Forums

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

Depends on your view of IR. We are in a bigger league, so we didn’t want to deplete the already scarce waiver wire by slowing people to stash someone on IR. It makes you make tough decisions on who to drop.  Injuries are never “fair”, but that’s part of the game. There is a component of luck involved in fantasy football, not just who is the most clever with working the waiver wire. 

Yeah agreed. We made exactly that first call in our 14-teamer, but kept it in the 10-teamer. My use of fairness was in response to the first poster who said it wasn't fair that people with players on IR got a "free bench spot". I just don't think that's a good argument against IR spots, while there are certainly plenty of others.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the Commish in my ESPN league. This weekend, I had to face my opponent who owned Taysom Hill. He slotted him in his TE spot and had Mahomes in his QB spot. Some other members in my league talked a

Heres my thing: it was well established Taysom's position eligibility before the season.  If a commissioner wanted to make a rule PRIOR to the season I get that. But to try to pull rank during the sea

Posted Images

16 hours ago, YoungDro said:

Any yahoo comissioners here know how to adjust yahoo mobile notification apps for their league?  Yahoo recently started sending out notifications to my league members when people make roster moves.  Ie "Team XYZ added Dallas Clark."  

Understandably there's been a lot of complaining about it but my digging in the commissioner tools hasn't got me anywhere.

All you and each team in the league that doesn’t want that notification every time there’s an add/drop need to do is this:

Go to the league chat and press the info icon in the top right corner, it’s the i with a circle around it.

Next click bot messages and turn the slider from on to off. It’s shows blue when on and white when off but my app is in dark mode so I don’t know what color normal yahoo will show that as.

That’s it, once you do that no more notifications in the chat for you once someone adds or drops a player.

Edited by Shake
  • Thanks 1

So what are some of your guy’s unique rules/settings? I really enjoy FF but I’ve always enjoyed different rules to keep it interesting, some of my personal favorites are:

1: Blind bidding but with actual money, league has a 50 dollar buy in but by the end of the year the pot is normally around 2500-3000.

2. A keeper league that redrafts NFL style, where you keep a starting lineup and redraft backups each year with the champ picking 12th every round.

What are some of yours?

Not really a commissioner issue, more of an etiquette question:

I've already won and I'm up by one point and have Tre'Quan Smith left to play tonight. Should I just sit him and end it? or is that frowned upon?

I could lose if he fumbled and got me negative points, but I could also lose on a points correction too so maybe I should pad the stats. Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I've already won and I'm up by one point and have Tre'Quan Smith left to play tonight. Should I just sit him and end it? or is that frowned upon?

I could lose if he fumbled and got me negative points, but I could also lose on a points correction too so maybe I should pad the stats. Thoughts?

I don't know that it's frowned upon, unless there's a rule in your league that requires that you must field a complete starting lineup. No one's complained about such strategy in any leagues I've been in(small sample size obv), if it's even been used. It's been brought up as a legit strategy on posts here(usually game threads).

I personally don't think it's a problem, because there is a bit of risk also, as you said, if you bench the guy and a later stat correction gives you the L anyway, whereas if you played him, he might've given you the breathing room, but yeah, he could fumble too. 

14 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Depends on your league and whether you are "forced" to start an eligible lineup.  Heck, we've all seen times where somebody mistakenly starts a guy who is on IR or on a bye.  

If it's PPR, if he gets 1 catch and then fumbles, that's +1, -2, and then some for yardage, so you're still greater than -1.

If he gets a single handoff, gets blown up in the backfield, fumbles, and then tears his knee and is out for the game, yeah, that's -2 and also loss of yardage.  But really, how likely is that?

Now if you have a defense where you could lose -3 points if they give up 35 points to the opponent?  That's another question...

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

Are all the scoring platforms closing scoring after Monday night per usual? Or wonder if they would extend scoring thru Tuesday if the Steelers/Titans play Tuesday?

That's what I am not sure of. If it is moved to Tuesday I imagine it would be open one more day. But if it is outright cancelled they play later in the year what's your expectation? 

Play it as it lies? 

Just now, MrArmageddon said:

That's what I am not sure of. If it is moved to Tuesday I imagine it would be open one more day. But if it is outright cancelled they play later in the year what's your expectation? 

Play it as it lies? 

Yep, have to adjust, go to waivers etc. I just had to drop a nice bench piece to replace Big Ben in one league. Maybe I should have waited, but oh well.

5 minutes ago, MrArmageddon said:

No. I only want to talk to other Commishes's.

Just give every team 7 more bench spots and get rid of Faab.  Starting at 12 AM, everyone is available first come, first serve.

And from here on out, it's best ball format.

Done.

57 minutes ago, MrArmageddon said:

No. I only want to talk to other Commishes's.

That's fair. 

I am a commissioner and I believe myself to be much more helpful than the people in that thread anyways. 

In my leagues we had 8 new rules voted on pre-season involving COVID-19 and contingencies. 

One was to add 2 new IR slots for COVID-19 designated players. 

Well, that was short sighted because we didn't believe that the whole game would be canceled, just affected players quarantined. 

So now I put an emergency NOTE not VOTE but NOTE. I'm letting the league know those 2 COVID-19 IR slots are being converted to bench slots. 

These bench slots only for affected players. This gives teams ability to react and prepare at a moments notice. 

There is contingency though that if this week's game effectively becomes a BYE week then those players are no longer eligible for those 2 slots and this situation will have 24 hours to be remedied. 

I'm receiving a digital signature in form of a post from all GMs in the league to confirm understanding of what's happening. 

Breaking of rules through negligence is not accepted because of the huge advantage it can create. Punishment will be in form of draft picks. 

There's a lot more to is but that's just a fraction of some of the things we've put into place. 

• Haha 2
50 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

That's fair. 

I am a commissioner and I believe myself to be much more helpful than the people in that thread anyways. 

In my leagues we had 8 new rules voted on pre-season involving COVID-19 and contingencies. 

One was to add 2 new IR slots for COVID-19 designated players. 

Well, that was short sighted because we didn't believe that the whole game would be canceled, just affected players quarantined. 

So now I put an emergency NOTE not VOTE but NOTE. I'm letting the league know those 2 COVID-19 IR slots are being converted to bench slots. 

These bench slots only for affected players. This gives teams ability to react and prepare at a moments notice. 

There is contingency though that if this week's game effectively becomes a BYE week then those players are no longer eligible for those 2 slots and this situation will have 24 hours to be remedied. 

I'm receiving a digital signature in form of a post from all GMs in the league to confirm understanding of what's happening. 

Breaking of rules through negligence is not accepted because of the huge advantage it can create. Punishment will be in form of draft picks. 

There's a lot more to is but that's just a fraction of some of the things we've put into place. 

Extra emergency bench spot seems like a pretty reasonable option. How are you monitoring for potential negligence/abuse/24hr remedy?

7 minutes ago, MrArmageddon said:

Extra emergency bench spot seems like a pretty reasonable option. How are you monitoring for potential negligence/abuse/24hr remedy?

I have enlisted my league to be snitches.

Granted we all know each other so it might be a bit easier for this solution vs. an online only league where people don't know each other.

Often the league will sell out their opponent that week and others they consider to be rivals either openly in the chats / league page or privately to my DMs.

This makes it easier for me to monitor what's happening. 

I've already laid down the hammer on 2 people using the extra IR slots for added bench space to get through the FAAB Awarding on Wednesday morning.  Those 2 people were reported to me via snitching, 1 openly, 1 DM.  

It will take greater Commissioner oversight to enforce, but it's not that time consuming.  It takes me about 60 seconds to go in and adjust an individuals roster to drop their latest add they acquired through manipulation of bench spots.

I've already explained the punishment for negligence.  No one wants to lose their draft picks, so I hope it will get everyone paying more attention, because some people accidentally cheat believe it or not through carelessness.  Ramifications of negligence I hope will minimize that.

In my other league that is NOT a keeper league, but a re-draft league the punishment is loss of FAAB allowance.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 1
On 9/21/2020 at 12:04 PM, Ddam2013 said:

So what are some of your guy’s unique rules/settings? I really enjoy FF but I’ve always enjoyed different rules to keep it interesting, some of my personal favorites are:

1: Blind bidding but with actual money, league has a 50 dollar buy in but by the end of the year the pot is normally around 2500-3000.

2. A keeper league that redrafts NFL style, where you keep a starting lineup and redraft backups each year with the champ picking 12th every round.

What are some of yours?

1. The Banishment Rule - Last place team gets kicked out for a year. I commish a 12 team league, this is year 15 of the league. Great group of guys. We had a guy sit out a year due to baby, busyness, etc. and added my brother in law. The guy wanted to come back the next year so we had 13 teams. We instituted the "Banishment Rule" for the last place team. So if you finish last you are kicked out for a year. It's been an awesome and fun rule. I think we are on like year 8 or 9 of it. Always makes the end of the season that more exciting for the bottom of the league. Also if 2 teams finish the year tied record wise at the bottom a toilet bowl ensues. Most points scored combined in weeks 15 & 16 (playoffs) survives, least obviously is kicked out. 

2. One Page Cheat Sheet Draft Rule - We host a live in person draft, draft board and all but do not allow drafting with any computers, phones, ipads, etc. You can only use your one-page paper (front and back) cheat sheet. It's great because just creating the cheat sheet forces you to do so much research and studying. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I have enlisted my league to be snitches.

Granted we all know each other so it might be a bit easier for this solution vs. an online only league where people don't know each other.

Often the league will sell out their opponent that week and others they consider to be rivals either openly in the chats / league page or privately to my DMs.

This makes it easier for me to monitor what's happening. 

I've already laid down the hammer on 2 people using the extra IR slots for added bench space to get through the FAAB Awarding on Wednesday morning.  Those 2 people were reported to me via snitching, 1 openly, 1 DM.  

It will take greater Commissioner oversight to enforce, but it's not that time consuming.  It takes me about 60 seconds to go in and adjust an individuals roster to drop their latest add they acquired through manipulation of bench spots.

I've already explained the punishment for negligence.  No one wants to lose their draft picks, so I hope it will get everyone paying more attention, because some people accidentally cheat believe it or not through carelessness.  Ramifications of negligence I hope will minimize that.

In my other league that is NOT a keeper league, but a re-draft league the punishment is loss of FAAB allowance.

I did the same thing. Added 2 IR spots for COVID19 only. But I have to self police. Caught a guy using both extra spots for non COVID related injuries. Poor guy had Marlon Mack, Saquon, Parris Campbell and someone else on IR through 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

Question about ESPN...

Since there are so many injuries and b/c of the COVID situation I'm thinking about adding IR slots to the rosters. But since it's post-draft it won't allow the change. I read that I would have to "reset draft" in order to change the IR setting.

Has anyone done this? Does it mess up the league or simply allow you to add the IR slot and it won't affect anything else?

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Question about ESPN...

Since there are so many injuries and b/c of the COVID situation I'm thinking about adding IR slots to the rosters. But since it's post-draft it won't allow the change. I read that I would have to "reset draft" in order to change the IR setting.

Has anyone done this? Does it mess up the league or simply allow you to add the IR slot and it won't affect anything else?

Thanks in advance!

I believe u can add roster spots/IR spots but u can’t remove or make less of.

Edited by Tomei7

I play in a CBS league. Our commish added a practice squad for each team. If your guys are out due to covid for the week throw them on the practice squad then bid on some FAs to fill those spots. If anything develops last minute he'll facilitate an immediate lightning auction for those affected to pick up players.

I think maybe it's impossible to account for every contingency this season.It's important to have a league that's open to making up some of this stuff on the fly and a commish that communicates and is up front about everything. Nobody knows how this is going to progress, there's never been a season like this. There are just too many known unknowns.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, yossarian said:

It's important to have a league that's open to making up some of this stuff on the fly..

This, except the complete opposite. My league knows what they signed up for.

3 minutes ago, yossarian said:

Nobody knows how this is going to progress, there's never been a season like this. There are just too many known unknowns.

Gambling is fun!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

This, except the complete opposite. My league knows what they signed up for.

Gambling is fun!

But they don't know what they signed up for, and neither do you. They signed up for a fantasy league based on an NFL league that is kind of making some of this up as they go along, as we can see. Week to week the league is dealing with a situation somewhere between "a player you've never heard of will have to sit out" to "we're gonna have to cancel an entire game and the Titans will have to take the L because they didn't follow protocol and there's not enough room in the schedule to account for this". NOBODY knows exactly what we've signed up for and it's kind of important to acknowledge that. 

Ultimately if your league is all happy and somebody gets paid the money at the end of the season and nobody feels like they got F'd (well more F'd than a regular ol' fantasy football F'ing, I mean) then that's a good thing and you did a good job addressing that. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Commissioner's Corner 2020