Flyman75

Derrius Guice 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)

I did a search for Guice's 2020 thread, and the only things that came up, to my surprise, were his 2018 and 2019 threads. So I guess I'll get it started. 

I still love the talent, but there are a lot of concerns here, even as a Guice fan. AP is back...they drafted Antonio Gibson early in the 3rd. And with Love, Barber, and McKissic, the backfield is just full right now, even though it's highly improbable that all six of these guys will be on the roster when the season begins. Even still, it's highly unlikely AP was brought back to just ride the pine. At best, it would seem that he and Guice would split the backfield carries. 

Then there are the health questions. The reality is he should be fully recovered from all of his injuries by the time the season starts, but can he shake all that off and prove that he should be the lead dog? Is there going to be another injury down the pipe? 

This is a new coaching regime that will have little-to-no allegiance to Guice. They didn't draft him but did draft a 6'0", 225, 4.4 RB in the 3rd. How will that affect Guice and his PT? 

But the potential is there. I'm just not sure he'll ever return on the promise he showed as a Soph at LSU, before struggling with injuries in his next three football seasons. 

So what are the thoughts on Derrius as the season approaches? 

Edited by Flyman75

The posting of this thread was a violent enough mechanism to tear his patellar tendon.

2021 let’s go!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

He won't be on any of my teams. A guy who only played in 5 games over 2 years and never topped 10 carries is just not worth the risk. I'd rather take a flyer on Gibson at the end of the draft.

• Like 2

ECR is RB30. Thats really high even for him.

13 minutes ago, Evincar said:

ECR is RB30. Thats really high even for him.

I’d put him in the mid-RB4 range (for 12-teamers) until we know more about how the touch distribution is going to be dispersed. If he goes RB30 in my drafts, he won’t be on any of my teams...as things stand right at this moment. 

Will add him once again to the DDL for 2020. 

Bet on talent.  This kid has it.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Magoo said:

#guiceordie

Awww... Well it was nice to have known you.

• Haha 4

Maybe the best RB value right now.

People complain about lack of RB depth but Guice has a Dalvin Cook ceiling and is available very late.

What is all of this “Dalvin Cook ceiling” talk?  They’ve got roughly 20 running backs and counting on that team!  And the team isn’t even nearly as good as the Vikings.  

• Thanks 1

My opinion is guice gets traded to another team sometime during the 2020 season. Maybe even before we start the 2020 nfl season. He will not be traded for much at all. prob a conditional 6th rounder

People are still talking up Guice? Worth a shot I guess at that ADP but has to be the most injury prone back going around. Pretty full backfield too. I’m looking elsewhere at that point in the draft

On 7/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, Black_Panther said:

People are still talking up Guice? Worth a shot I guess at that ADP but has to be the most injury prone back going around. Pretty full backfield too. I’m looking elsewhere at that point in the draft

Well don’t think his ceiling is dalvin cook i just mean he could break out after showing flashes of potential but is always being injured ala dalvin cook.

Granted cook showed much larger glimpses of promise and is on a better team and had one of the running gurus in kubiak coming over to help with the run game. Cook had a perfect storm brewing except for them drafting Alexander Mattison in the 3rd round and ppl tried using that as an excuse to downplay cook.

This year guice will be healthy coming into a season 2nd year removed from an Knee injury just like cook in the first season off the knee injury they both kept getting Ricky tack injuries which is common coming off major knee injuries your body sometimes over compensates and as a result other injuries occur. Scott turner is the OC in Washington son of norv turner also a notable run game guru who only ever utilized one RB. Idk if his son will use a bell cow back approach but he’s learned everything his father knows and should help produce big numbers like norv did with LT and CMC norv even made Ryan Mathews a fantasy starter. The redskins have a million RBs but none profile as good as guice l. AP is still hanging in there but old and not getting better and imo was outplayed by a healthy guice, love hasn’t played in a year and is on the smaller size, and Antonio Gibson has less than 40 carries in his college career.
Imo it’s guice’s backfield to take over he just has to be healthy to do it. 

On 7/3/2020 at 12:01 PM, isuckatdfs said:

My opinion is guice gets traded to another team sometime during the 2020 season. Maybe even before we start the 2020 nfl season. He will not be traded for much at all. prob a conditional 6th rounder

Heard a compelling case for him getting cut too.

1. this staff didn’t pick him

2. doesn’t contribute on special teams

3. allergic to staying healthy and uh, playing

On 7/3/2020 at 8:31 AM, BMcP said:

What is all of this “Dalvin Cook ceiling” talk?  They’ve got roughly 20 running backs and counting on that team!  And the team isn’t even nearly as good as the Vikings.  

And half of them are getting cut

Only ones guaranteed to make the team are Guice and Gibson

11 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Heard a compelling case for him getting cut too.

1. this staff didn’t pick him

2. doesn’t contribute on special teams

3. allergic to staying healthy and uh, playing

LMAO is this a joke?

Teams don't cut their best RB.

Jesus Christ this made me spit out my drink

If we are talking one year from now after another 1 game and injury where the team has drafted Travis Etienne or another true RB (not Gibson) then sure

Right now?

Not a chance in the slightest. 0.0000000000000000%

I get both sides of this coin but I think Guice is going to get one more chance this season. He can really play. I heard that his knee injury (second one, more minor) bought him time to truly heal and strengthen his other knee (the first really bad injury) and that this year will be the first time he's really healthy and closer to 100% since he was drafted. I also think he won't be a 'work-horse' type guy though either, because of this risk.

Personally, I'm staying away. Washington will be better though and if he takes the RB1 job and stays healthy, he'll be a huge ADP steal.

27 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

And half of them are getting cut

Only ones guaranteed to make the team are Guice and Gibson

Very well - so they are down to 10.  

What about the “Redskins” part?  Maybe a name change will reinvigorate them?

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Very well - so they are down to 10.  

What about the “Redskins” part?  Maybe a name change will reinvigorate them?

I am quite a bit more optimistic on the Redskins outlook this season

Still don't believe in Trashkins at all but their defense to me has a front 7 that is elite unit in its infancy now getting quality experienced defensive minds like Ron Rivera and Del Rio

If I believed in Trashkins then in a weak division like that with no elite teams (Cowboys have a shot to be elite but a small one; Eagles are mediocre through and through) they would be my sleeper pick to be a diet version of last year's 49ers and steal the division at 9 wins--with Trashkins I figure they are 4th with a chance at 3rd but still at 6 wins or so and well capable of supporting a fantasy RB

I doubt they change it to “Trashkins” - but stranger things have happened.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

I doubt they change it to “Trashkins”

And offend people with skin problems? You monster

On a serious note: bad teams have supported fantasy RBs--even ones who don't catch a ton of passes

He just needs goal line work and some level of efficiency on the ground

And I don't even think the Redskins (or whatever they name it) will be that bad

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Teams don't cut their best RB.

Yeah but how good is he really, in the pros? 

I get that at LSU he had some monster games, but that was a long time ago. In the NFL he played 5 games, and half his career yardage came from one game against Carolina where the Carolina D was so bad that even Adrian Peterson had 99 yds rushing and a TD; and then half the yardage from that game came from one play. He also completely blew a pass pro assignment early on in that game.

Honestly? Peterson at 52 or however old he is may still give Guice a run for his money as the "best" in his team. I agree that Guice is not going to get cut unless some more drama happens, from what I read at least he has a good attitude and is willing to work hard, so that will help.

As an aside: the 2018 RB draft class wasn't exactly stellar, with the exception of Barkley.

Edited by Boudewijn

Just now, Boudewijn said:

Yeah but how good is he really, in the pros? 

I get that at LSU he had some monster games, but that was a long time ago. In the NFL he played 5 games, and half his career yardage came from one game against Carolina where the Carolina D was so bad that even Adrian Peterson had 99 yds rushing and a TD; and then half the yardage from that game came from one play. He also completely blew a pass pro assignment early on in that game.

Honestly? Peterson at 52 or however old he is may still give Guice a run for his money as the "best" in his team. I agree that Guice is not going to get cut unless some more drama happens, but from what I read at least he has a good attitude and is willing to work hard, so that will help.

As an aside: the 2018 RB draft class wasn't exactly stellar, ith the exception of Barkley.

The disrespect to Nick Chubb 😑

But it was so hyped up at the time--the top 8 picks in dynasty rookie drafts were RBs: Barkley-hit, Sony-bust, Royce-bust, Penny-looks like bust, Chubb-hit, RoJo-still has a chance but likely a bust, Kerryon-nice player but bust for fantasy purposes and Guice

All of them going before DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton and Calvin Ridley

I actually wasn't the biggest fan of Guice coming out but AP looked noticeably worse to me last year than the year prior--enough to make me think Guice is better--and while I think the Redskins aren't that bad--they are not in win now mode.

Much more value in seeing what the young 2nd round pick can do and deciding if he is a part of the future or if an RB needs to be taken next year IMO

• Like 1