Flyman75

Derrius Guice 2020 Outlook

I strongly expect them to keep at least 4 of these backs and use them.    Mckissic and Barber BOTH somehow have part of their salaries guaranteed, in addition to signing bonuses they've collecfted.     Adrian Peterson is an easy cut but do they have the spine?   If Gibson looks great and Peterson has juice left..........there's a nonzero chance here that Guice doesn't even make the final roster.   

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I strongly expect them to keep at least 4 of these backs and use them.    Mckissic and Barber BOTH somehow have part of their salaries guaranteed, in addition to signing bonuses they've collecfted.     Adrian Peterson is an easy cut but do they have the spine?   If Gibson looks great and Peterson has juice left..........there's a nonzero chance here that Guice doesn't even make the final roster.   

Guice is not getting cut for JD McKissic LMAO

Not even that high on him as a prospect. Had him firmly behind Barkley (yay), Sony (umm), Penny (no comment) and Chubb (also yay).

But 2nd round picks do not get cut for JD McKssic and Peyton Barber. Even RoJo--underwhelming even when healthy--eventually beat out Barber when healthy

I will gladly eat my words if I ask wrong

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

LMAO is this a joke?

Teams don't cut their best RB.

Jesus Christ this made me spit out my drink

If we are talking one year from now after another 1 game and injury where the team has drafted Travis Etienne or another true RB (not Gibson) then sure

Right now?

Not a chance in the slightest. 0.0000000000000000%

Just passing information dood. It’s admittedly an exaggerated scenario but not out of the question at all. This is a team trying to start over. Can’t feel great about that if he’s 100% unreliable. “Best” doesn’t help your team much if he’s one long term injury from being completely washed up. They might just say why bother?

Edited by Proteus

13 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

And offend people with skin problems? You monster

On a serious note: bad teams have supported fantasy RBs--even ones who don't catch a ton of passes

He just needs goal line work and some level of efficiency on the ground

And I don't even think the Redskins (or whatever they name it) will be that bad

What do you define as "supported fantasy RBs" - Top 10? Top 15? Top 20?

And what would qualify as "not a ton of passes?"

12 hours ago, BrianM said:

There is absolutely, positively, and in all other ways, 0% chance Guice is cut prior to the 2020 season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BrianM said:

Guy is essentially penciled in for the lead back role.  The issue is injury history of course - not role.

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Guy is essentially penciled in for the lead back role.  The issue is injury history of course - not role.

I dont see how anyone with confidence can say Guice is the lead back. This looks like a clear RBBC on maybe the worst offense in the league. ECR has him at RB31 which is way too high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Proteus said:

Just passing information dood. It’s admittedly an exaggerated scenario but not out of the question at all. This is a team trying to start over. Can’t feel great about that if he’s 100% unreliable. “Best” doesn’t help your team much if he’s one long term injury from being completely washed up. They might just say why bother?

Sorry if I sounded aggressive. You did raise some points about why Rivera is probably not very committed to Guice long term at the moment

But getting cut for JD McKissic is something different altogether

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Evincar said:

I dont see how anyone with confidence can say Guice is the lead back. This looks like a clear RBBC on maybe the worst offense in the league. ECR has him at RB31 which is way too high.

What defines a RBBC?  By lead back I meant at least 60% of the carries.  Does you think that IF healthy he doesn't get that?  And if so, what are you basing that on?

On the surface, of course its ludicrous to keep JD McKissic or Barber over Guice, and if they did, i'd laugh my a** off just like all of you.   However, the bigger picture here is, a new staff brought in three new backs this offseason, and all have guaranteed money beyond their signing bonus.   Most teams dont bring in that much competition if they believe in the incumbents.   Also, the fact that they did offer guarantees to two complete JAG's means you cannot dare trust their judgment here.   Of course Guice is the most talented one right now.  The point was........the Redskins are stupid.  Snyder probably loves Peterson, and Gibson should be a lock.   They could say "uhh, umm, special teams, yeah" and cut Guice in favor of one of those JAG's and Bryce Love.   Likely?  Of course not.   Remote possibility, even fractionally?  Yes

11 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

What do you define as "supported fantasy RBs" - Top 10? Top 15? Top 20?

And what would qualify as "not a ton of passes?"

Solid RB2 or above but frankly there have been RB1s in those parameters as well (not that I expect it from Guice)

2019 (in PPR)

Nick Chubb-RB8 with 36 receptions on a 6-10 team

Joe Mixon-RB13 with 35 receptions on a 2-14 team

Philip Lindsay RB19 with 35 receptions on a 7-9 team

Josh Jacobs-RB21 with 20 receptions on a 7-9 team

Marlon Mack-RB22 with 14 receptions on a 7-9 team

Joe Mixon-RB10 with 43 receptions on a 6-10 team

Philip Lindsay-RB13 with 35 receptions on a 6-10 team

Tevin Coleman-RB18 with 32 receptions on a 7-9 team

Adrian Peterson-RBRB19 with 20 receptions on a 7-9 team

If playing half PPR or standard I am sure there are even more examples

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BrianM said:

On the surface, of course its ludicrous to keep JD McKissic or Barber over Guice, and if they did, i'd laugh my a** off just like all of you.   However, the bigger picture here is, a new staff brought in three new backs this offseason, and all have guaranteed money beyond their signing bonus.   Most teams dont bring in that much competition if they believe in the incumbents.   Also, the fact that they did offer guarantees to two complete JAG's means you cannot dare trust their judgment here.   Of course Guice is the most talented one right now.  The point was........the Redskins are stupid.  Snyder probably loves Peterson, and Gibson should be a lock.   They could say "uhh, umm, special teams, yeah" and cut Guice in favor of one of those JAG's and Bryce Love.   Likely?  Of course not.   Remote possibility, even fractionally?  Yes

The Redskins are not “stupid” at this point with this coaching staff.  Were that the “point,” I’m not inclined to pay attention to the point.

They gave Mckissic 1 mil guaranteed.    That's stupid IMO, so that's why i ranted a bit.  

15 minutes ago, BrianM said:

They gave Mckissic 1 mil guaranteed.    That's stupid IMO, so that's why i ranted a bit.  

1 M to an NFL team is loose change. They won't even think about it if they have to cut him. They could find a million on the sidewalk and not bother to pick it up - it's just not worth their time.

In general, NFL salaries are silly. There are some great backs who earn peanuts and some JAGs who get paid millions. But don't get upset at Washington spending some money on an RB when they spent 30 M last year on 4 QBs who still sucked.

I'm glad for McKissic. It's his best NFL contract so far and he may not even have to play :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BrianM said:

See what @Boudewijn said if the McKissic contract is causing you rage.

Perhaps rage is an overstatement, bewilderment is probably more accurate.  Either way, it just makes me feel queasy about Guice.  .   

Just now, BrianM said:

Perhaps rage is an overstatement, bewilderment is probably more accurate.  Either way, it just makes me feel queasy about Guice.  .   

You must spend a pick elsewhere

• Like 1

Indeed.  I'll probably avoid the bunch altogether, but i'll watch Gibson in keepers. 

• Thanks 1

So... who's the insider that knows which RBs are getting cut and which are making it?

I assume that AP is likely cut.

Guice and Love will be the primary 2 down bangers each hurting each other's fantasy relevancy.

Barber sticks as a coachable journeyman that'll eat into work occassionally if someone fumbles or misses a blocking assignment.

JD McK is the starting 3rd down back as they work Antonio Gibson into that role and groom him to take it over for 2021.

5 RBs, or should I say 5 BACKS (Including Full Backs), isn't that crazy to go into the season with.

I think the only real question is AP or Barber.  Barber is 10 years younger, just signed by this new regime, and is half the cost of AP.

I think Washing FT goes to camp with 5 backs and none named AP and none that can be fantasy relevant without injuries to the other backs standing in their way.

I was getting high on Guice because of talent, but I think I'm just gonna eject altogether.  

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

So... who's the insider that knows which RBs are getting cut and which are making it?

Guice and Love will be the primary 2 down bangers each hurting each other's fantasy relevancy.

Barber sticks as a coachable journeyman that'll eat into work occassionally if someone fumbles or misses a blocking assignment.

JD McK is the starting 3rd down back as they work Antonio Gibson into that role and groom him to take it over for 2021.

5 RBs, or should I say 5 BACKS (Including Full Backs), isn't that crazy to go into the season with.

I think the only real question is AP or Barber.  Barber is 10 years younger, just signed by this new regime, and is half the cost of AP.

I think Washing FT goes to camp with 5 backs and none named AP and none that can be fantasy relevant without injuries to the other backs standing in their way.

I was getting high on Guice because of talent, but I think I'm just gonna eject altogether.  

Scott Turner son of Norv is why I will take the upside dart throw. I expect this backfield to be productive in fantasy and hopefully Scott is like his dad and will feed a bell cow, CMC as a rookie 117 carries with Shula as his coordinator, they hire Norv and his carries jump all the way up to 219 and I'm sure your aware of what CMC did under Norv and Scott last season. I don't see Guice being a bellcow but it is definitely possible.

Kyle Shanahan gets help from his dad every week, I assume Scott will as well and this backfield as a whole should put up fantasy pts just hopefully it is not spread out through all the above you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Bryce Love isn’t a banger at all. But I’m still out of the Guice sweepstakes, unless he falls to a place where I just have to take him. Hopefully my love for all things LSU doesn’t make me make me pick him sooner, lol. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Bryce Love isn’t a banger at all. But I’m still out of the Guice sweepstakes, unless he falls to a place where I just have to take him. Hopefully my love for all things LSU doesn’t make me make me pick him sooner, lol. 

I guess banger is a subjective word.  Bryce Love is the same guy that had 2000 yards rushing and less than 10 receptions though.

So regardless of how he runs the football, shifty, explosive hole getting, top speed guy, he still profiles as a 2 down back until he shows evidence of becoming a pass catching back out of the backfield.  

And my vernacular... I call 2 down backs, 2 down bangers.  Point stands!

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

45 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I guess banger is a subjective word.  Bryce Love is the same guy that had 2000 yards rushing and less than 10 receptions though.

So regardless of how he runs the football, shifty, explosive hole getting, top speed guy, he still profiles as a 2 down back until he shows evidence of becoming a pass catching back out of the backfield.  

And my vernacular... I call 2 down backs, 2 down bangers.  Point stands!

I just don’t see a 205lb back being a banger, regardless if he’s a two down or three down back. CEH is going to be a three down back, and he’s certainly not a banger. The term has more to do with the style of running than the usage of that back.