Flyman75

Derrius Guice 2020 Outlook

If the NYG fire Gettleman and a new NFL team hires him, he's going to draft another first round running back, and he will hang on to every one of his picks without ever trading down.

As for Guice, I wonder why there was such a long delay in reporting?  Not necessarily a sign that Guice is innocent, but it is a fact that could be of interest.

Posted (edited)

Man...I thought I accidentally clicked on the CMC thread. Lol! One day, joshua will be telling his grandkids about how he stood alone, bravely touting CMC against the masses who didn't believe in him after he was drafted. Lol. When CMC is inducted into the HOF, he'll be thanking joshua for being the FF player on RW who believed in him, pushing him to become the RB he became lol. 

I kid, I kid :D

Edited by Flyman75
  • Haha 1

worth stashing in dynasty????

if tyreek got 0 games

and hunt found his way back on the field, guice should too one day? immense talent 

2 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

if tyreek got 0 games

and hunt found his way back on the field, guice should too one day? immense talent 

Well, he turned himself in for at least three incidents, and had character questions coming out of LSU. I can’t imagine Goodell not bringing the hammer down on him. 

As for his talent, it’s there but not nearly what it was. Look at highlights from his sophomore year and then his junior year...he was playing hurt and clearly not the same player. Then at Washington he suffers more lower limb injuries, and that is never a good thing for a RB. 

Is he a stash in dynasty? I don’t play dynasty, so I can’t say for sure. My inclination, however, would be that he’s at least three years from having any relevance at all. He won’t play this season. He’ll have to deal with a suspension in 21 if someone signs him. He won’t be signed to immediately walk into a starting job, and I’d imagine he’ll have to go down a path similar to Hunt and backup someone in 2022. If everything goes right for him, maybe he can land himself a starting job by 2023. Do you want to fill up a dynasty roster spot for that long?

Think about Hunt...arrested and cut in 2018. Signed and suspended in 2019. Backing up Chubb in 2020. Hoping to find himself a starting job in 2021. If everything goes right for Guice, I could see a similar path. But even then he still has had injury issues since his junior year in college that Hunt hasn’t had...and he’s not equal to Hunt as a RB, either...imho. 

tl;dr...pass. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 9:09 PM, dannyz6969 said:

if tyreek got 0 games

Of course, I traded for him offseason in dynasty this year thinking he had a chance to finally show his talent. Alas, I'm going to hold onto him for most of the season unless a big opportunity comes up on the F.A. and I have to cut someone. He still has his talent and that's what matters most in dynasty- but if there's nothing clear on him within let's say half the season, he'll be at the end of my priority list/first to cut when I need someone.

I picked up Bryce Love immediately off F.A. when Guice was cut. I personally think he's the guy there for Washington. 

So...the news is old.

Now we can talk about dynasty value.

Is there any? Last rotoworld blurb said he’d never play in the NFL again.

Is that where we’ve arrived? Got a cut day coming up and wouldn’t mind dropping this dead baggage if he really is dead.

This dude is done. He can't stay healthy, he's currently in legal trouble for domestic abuse issues and a couple days ago two rape accusations from his time at LSU became public. Combine all that with the fact he plays a position the NFL considers very fungible and he's never going to see an NFL field again as a player. There is no reason to hold on to him in any kind of league. 

17 minutes ago, yossarian said:

This dude is done. He can't stay healthy, he's currently in legal trouble for domestic abuse issues and a couple days ago two rape accusations from his time at LSU became public. Combine all that with the fact he plays a position the NFL considers very fungible and he's never going to see an NFL field again as a player. There is no reason to hold on to him in any kind of league. 

Appreciate it. Will use "Fungible" in a team name soon.

But as I'm just looking for precedents . . . I think of AP, Tyreek, Hunt, and Mixon. And let's face it, if Ray Rice wasn't washed up when his problems surfaced, he'd have been forgiven.

No, Guice is no AP, but remember Mixon and Hill were both cleared and forgiven by the league before they played any NFL ball at all.

No chance? Really?

Posted (edited)

This guy will be in prison this time, next year

Edited by gbill2004

27 minutes ago, yossarian said:

two rape accusations from his time at LSU became public

I'd missed that, but indeed:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3391053001

Two former Louisiana State University students said recently released Washington Football Team running back Derrius Guice raped them months apart in 2016, when he was a rising star freshman on the LSU football team.

(...)

Both women told USA TODAY that Guice assaulted them in their apartments after nights of heavy drinking. One woman said Guice showed up uninvited to a party she was hosting, then entered her bedroom while she was sleeping and raped her. The other woman, the tennis player, said Guice raped her when she allowed him into her home after meeting him for the first time at a bar.

And how did rape allegations end the careers of Big Ben and Kobe Bryant? Mind you I'm not saying what SHOULD happen, I'm considering what WILL happen, and like a lawyer . . . 

. . . all we got are precedents.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Proteus said:

And how did rape allegations end the careers of Big Ben and Kobe Bryant? Mind you I'm not saying what SHOULD happen, I'm considering what WILL happen, and like a lawyer . . . 

. . . all we got are precedents.

Times are different now. 
And Guice is no Big Ben or Kobe in their prime. 

Edited by gbill2004

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

Times are different now. 
And Guice is no Big Ben or Kobe in their prime. 

Times are different when it comes to policing language, sure. But actual crimes? Ever heard of Brock Turner? He’s no Big Ben or Kobe either, and he was caught red-handed.

Somebody please help me drop this dirtbag!!!

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

And how did rape allegations end the careers of Big Ben and Kobe Bryant?

Neither of those guys was an average RB with injury concerns in the year 2020.

Guice has never been an elite super star at the NFL level. He is an easy drop and don't care in all formats. Ray Rice never played another down and probably had a couple more productive years in him. Peterson is a completely unrelated situation and was already a hall of famer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, devaster said:

Guice has never been an elite super star at the NFL level. He is an easy drop and don't care in all formats. Ray Rice never played another down and probably had a couple more productive years in him. Peterson is a completely unrelated situation and was already a hall of famer.

All true.

What about Mixon and Tyreek, pre-NFL?

They hadn't proven anything in the NFL and both BEAT UP women in college. Am I wrong?

I've had Guice since a devy prospect. If I drop him, a league mate picks him up, and the next thing you know he's starting for the Falcons in 2021 I will be APOPLECTIC.

8 minutes ago, Proteus said:

All true.

What about Mixon and Tyreek, pre-NFL?

They hadn't proven anything in the NFL and both BEAT UP women in college. Am I wrong?

I've had Guice since a devy prospect. If I drop him, a league mate picks him up, and the next thing you know he's starting for the Falcons in 2021 I will be APOPLECTIC.

Unrelated.

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Somebody please help me drop this dirtbag!!!

MinorLeftAoudad-size_restricted.gif

13 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Or you hold on to him until he's 29 and playing in the revamped CXFL, all the while wasting a bench spot.

I love your use of the word "apoplectic", but I have a different word for you:

What Is a Sunk Cost?

A sunk cost refers to money that has already been spent and which cannot be recovered. In business, the axiom that one has to "spend money to make money" is reflected in the phenomenon of the sunk cost. A sunk cost differs from future costs that a business may face, such as decisions about inventory purchase costs or product pricing. Sunk costs are excluded from future business decisions because the cost will remain the same regardless of the outcome of a decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Alright. I think I'm convinced.

Thanks.

And speaking of sunk costs, I've chased and acquired Gibson and Love just to rescue the Wash Football Club's rb value.

Edited by Proteus
  • Haha 1

Big Ben and Kobe were a different era. On top of that they were already top talents in their sport when there legal issues arose. Hill and Mixon were coming out of college and had a ton of potential. Their draft position took a big hit so the teams that took a chance on them got "big potential" at a relatively cheap draft price. When Hill's second abuse allegations came to light he was already one of the more productive, intriguing WRs in the league. Rice never played again. ADP was a hall of famer and is still productive. 

It's pretty clear in the NFL, with things like this, you get second chances if you're either VERY productive or you have a lot of potential. Guice has neither. He's been injured or unproductive his entire time in the league and plays at a position NFL teams do not value. There is neither production nor potential there. I don't think there's any GM or owner that will convince themselves he's worth the PR hit and therefore he will not get another chance. 

16 hours ago, Proteus said:

Alright. I think I'm convinced.

Thanks.

And speaking of sunk costs, I've chased and acquired Gibson and Love just to rescue the Wash Football Club's rb value.

I like both of those chases. 

I have kept this bum since his rookie season in my keeper league. Just when I thought he might put everything together this season.

• Haha 1