The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

Posted (edited)

Okay this just doesn't make any sense at this point to keep listing them under the "negotiations" thread I guess.  So far we got 4 Phillies moved to the IL list because they either have covid or were in contact with someone as well as Brandon Drury from the Jays:

Then today we have this:

Delino DeShields has tested positive for COVID-19.

DeShields remains at home and is experiencing mild symptoms. He will need to test negative before joining the Indians at their summer camp in Cleveland. 

Source: Mandy Bell on Twitter                      Jul 3, 2020, 11:10 AM ET

Also some older coaches are making the hard decision.  I read that three coaches on one team were going to "virtually coach" only on but can't remember the team.  And this one opted out period:

Royals first base coach Rusty Kuntz will not be with the club this season due to COVID-19 concerns.

Kuntz, 65, will instead be in an advisory role. He will be replaced by Damon Hollins, who is the club's coordinator of outfield, baserunning and bunting.

Source: Jeffrey Flanagan on Twitter               Jul 3, 2020, 9:40 AM ET

And one younger coach returning from covid:

Cubs pitching coach Tommy Hottovy told Mully And Haugh of Chicago's 670 The Score that he was diagnosed with COVID-19 this spring.

Hottovy has since recovered and will apparently be present for the Cubs' first scheduled workout on Friday at Wrigley Field. "I had the virus," he said. "I got crushed ... It took me 30 days to test negative." The 38-year-old former minor and major league pitcher added that he ran a 100-plus-degree fever for six straight days and ultimately lost 18 pounds. He considered sitting out of MLB's planned 60-game season but now feels that he can be a sounding board for players and their families as to how to operate during this pandemic.

Source: Mark D. Gonzales on Twitter                  Jul 1, 2020, 9:06 AM ET

If a 38 year old ends up out this long and losing 18 lbs it isn't going to be any cake walk for a ten year younger active ball player either.

To sum up, active players out so far (7/3/20) because of covid:

• Scott Kingery - PHI
  • Hector Neris - PHI
  • Tommy Hunter - PHI
  • Ranger Suarez - PHI
  • Brandon Drury - TOR
  • Delino DeShields - CLE

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Not sure how much speculation and or projection you want in this thread but a blurb came out about Mike Trout who has a pregnant wife and he said he could definitely envision a situation where he sits out. Also Yordan Alvarez hasn’t shown up to camp for “undisclosed reasons” , maybe Covid maybe not. I know the guessing game doesn’t necessarily do any good but hey a lot of people are backed up on the opportunity to share about fantasy baseball players so I figured I’d post this. 

1 minute ago, treyjuice said:

Not sure how much speculation and or projection you want in this thread but a blurb came out about Mike Trout who has a pregnant wife and he said he could definitely envision a situation where he sits out. Also Yordan Alvarez hasn’t shown up to camp for “undisclosed reasons” , maybe Covid maybe not. I know the guessing game doesn’t necessarily do any good but hey a lot of people are backed up on the opportunity to share about fantasy baseball players so I figured I’d post this. 

Yes I posted the long quote from Mike Trout in the appropriate thread.  First and foremost, Mike Trout does NOT have covid.  He just worries if there is an outbreak or if he gets it what effect there will be on his wife and his soon to be born first child so is going back and forth of the opt out scenario and taking it day by day and still leaning towards playing at this point.  So this is an opt out issue; not a players definitely with or may possibly have covid subject matter and there is a separate thread on healthy players opting out. 

This thread is entirely different.  It is for those confirmed to have covid or placed on IL for that or possibly quarantining since they were with teammates with same.  Or seemingly strong evidence and or rumors about same.  Oranges and apples.  And speaking of apples that brings up the other person you mentioned that does belong in this thread:

Yordan Alvarez has not yet arrived in Houston for summer camp due to undisclosed reasons.

Astros manager Dusty Baker was asked about the absence of Alvarez on Friday afternoon and cited "league mandates" for why he couldn't give a straight answer. It's easy to speculate what might be happening here. Hopefully the 2019 AL Rookie of the Year can get healthy and join the team at some point. He slashed .313/.412/.655 with 27 home runs and 78 RBI over his first 87 major league games last season.

Source: Chandler Rome on Twitter                    Jul 3, 2020, 1:55 PM ET

This is where the strong speculation Yordan may have tested positive has come from given the wording Baker used.  He wouldn't have likely used the words "league mandates" if it was a family issue say but would have said it was for either family issues or personal reasons.  But please, it is always good to quote as much as you can on a thread to get the exact wording and who said it like this and cite sources if possible.  This is still rumor stage but a rumor that so far has some legs.

Also a Texas RP has tested positive which is the one solid, totally confirmed case in this post:

Brett Martin has tested positive for COVID-19.

Martin is showing merely mild symptoms, but his case is more complicated because he's diabetic. He will have to test negative twice within 24 hours before being cleared to return.

Source: Evan Grant on Twitter                Jul 3, 2020, 1:45 PM ET

This may be the appropriate thread for my question, but apologies in advance if not.

How are leagues handling COVID impacted players who will need to sit out? Our league has added additional IL slots strictly for players infected.

That being said,  the Phillies place 4 on the IL list without any information at all, citing personal reasons. Will more teams do this? And how can we tell who’s injured and who’s sick?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

To sum up, active players out so far (7/3/20) because of covid:

• Scott Kingery - PHI
  • Hector Neris - PHI
  • Tommy Hunter - PHI
  • Ranger Suarez - PHI
  • Brandon Drury - TOR
  • Delino DeShields - CLE

Add Brett Martin RP Texas  to the list

Brett Martin tests positive for COVID-19
Brett Martin has tested positive for COVID-19.

Advice: Martin is showing merely mild symptoms, but his case is more complicated because he's diabetic. He will have to test negative twice within 24 hours before being cleared to return.

I posted this before I saw your 2nd post

Edited by hockeyfan77
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

This may be the appropriate thread for my question, but apologies in advance if not.

How are leagues handling COVID impacted players who will need to sit out? Our league has added additional IL slots strictly for players infected.

That being said,  the Phillies place 4 on the IL list without any information at all, citing personal reasons. Will more teams do this? And how can we tell who’s injured and who’s sick?

This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with fantasy baseball settings.  This is more of what you are looking for.  It has turned into the de facto thread for this type of discussion.   And no need to apologize.  This thread was back on page two and harder to find.

https://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/799841-2020-fantasy-baseball-league-settings-thread/page/4/

As for you question about "personal reasons" see above regards "league mandates" used by Dusty Baker which basically refers to the fact MLB doesn't allow personal information about health be given out without the player's permission.  This will lead to rumors etc and the assumption a player has covid as a result of course which will probably be true.  Because when someone goes on the IL for a hamstring they always that is the reason.  Or worst case say a pitcher may have tired arm not giving full details of what may be really wrong but they never ever decline to say anything at all with the term "league mandates" used to say why they aren't saying.  That is one big covid "tell" for sure.

22 minutes ago, turner46 said:

Yes and so does Twins' Willians Astudillo. 

And when I was starting this list I forgot there had already been a major name player before the Phillies ones that should have headed the covid-positive list:  Charlie Blackmon.

Also on the local sports news here they said the Red Sox announced there were some in their organization who tested positive but haven't released any names as yet.  They did say their current #1 starter this season -- Eduardo Rodriguez -- is still in Florida awaiting results from his test taken down there because he was in contact with someone who tested positive.  I don't know what the procedure will be if cleared himself as in if he would still have to self-quarantine for 14 days in Florida or Boston or not at all.

FYI:  Of the 38 MLB personnel that tested positive 31 were players and 7 were staff.  So more names will be coming.

• Thanks 1

The general reaction from beat writers and national reporters seems pretty positive about the test results. Good news for baseball moving forward. Still a lot of hurdles to pass but this is a good start.

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

The general reaction from beat writers and national reporters seems pretty positive about the test results. Good news for baseball moving forward. Still a lot of hurdles to pass but this is a good start.

38 positive tests of which 31 are ball players isn't very positive at all.  You just need far far less than that to start a major snowball effect.  And this is so far.  There are still some test results not back yet.  Just shows you why those reporters cover sports and not real news.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

38 out of the 3,185 total samples taken for MLB players/staff were positive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1279155338219061251

Honestly, that's not bad.  Every industry is going to have positive test results.

Lots of testing and identifying who is positive as early as possible should help contain the virus from becoming more widespread. 

I fear a lot of players may not be wearing their masks as much as they should in and around the locker rooms or inside their facilities.  Guys being guys sort of thing.

• Like 1

Another big name tested positive:

Freddie Freeman is among four Braves players who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Will Smith, Touki Toussaint, and Pete Kozma are the others. Braves manager Brian Snitker said Toussaint and Smith are asymptomatic. However, Freeman is still battling a fever and it could be a while before he's ready to rejoin the team. Obviously his health is the most important thing right now.

Source: Mark Bowman on Twitter             Jul 4, 2020, 11:23 AM ET

And just because you are young doesn't mean you will just be asymptomatic as we see here.  This virus is no joke.

• Like 1

Add the 4 Braves plus Salvador Perez to these counts. Skeptical cat remains skeptical.

• Thanks 1

Just not Sano but also three of his Twins teammates:

The Twins announced Saturday that Miguel Sano has tested positive for COVID-19.

That makes four positive tests in the Twins' 60-man player pool, the others being Willians Astudillo, Edwar Colina and Nick Gordon. All four players consented to having their names revealed. It's unclear if Sano has any symptoms, but he will remain away from the team for now and will have to have two negative tests come back before being cleared to return.

Source: Do-Hyoung Park on Twitter

Jul 4, 2020, 1:27 PM ET

Thanks meh2 for update of Sal Perez.  More details about same:

Salvador Perez said Saturday that he has tested positive for COVID-19.

The good news is that he's asymptomatic until this point and that his entire family has tested negative. Still, Salvy is not with the team right now and has 12 days left in his quarantine. He's also going to need a pair of negative tests -- separated by at least 24 hours -- before joining his teammates.

Source: Alec Lewis on Twitter                Jul 4, 2020, 12:36 PM ET

Also a starting rotation candidate with the Red Sox:

Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke said Saturday that Darwinzon Hernandez has tested positive for COVID-19.

Hernandez is back home and thus hasn't had any interaction with his teammates. While it's unclear if he's displaying symptoms, his status for the start of the season is now in question. The 23-year-old compiled a 4.45 ERA with 57 strikeouts and 26 walks over 30 1/3 frames during his rookie season in 2019.

Source: Jason Mastrodonato on TwitterJul 4, 2020, 1:51 PM ET

Good at least that both Perez and Hernandez were caught before they checked in and joined their teammates.  Sounds like Sano was too maybe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another big name as the Phillies fill up their covid roster:

A source told the Philadelphia Inquirer's Matt Breen that the Phillies have placed Aaron Nola, Adam Haseley and Christian Bethancourt on the COVID-19 Injured List.

There are no additional details about the condition of the players. If true, those three are joining teammates Scott Kingery, Hector Neris, Tommy Hunter and Ranger Suarez. Nola is the Phillies' ace, of course, and the club is going to have a difficult time filling out its roster if some or all seven players are absent at the start of the year.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer              Jul 4, 2020, 6:36 PM ET

Aaron Nola, my first fantasy baseball causality, sniff.  Been lucky up until now.  Meanwhile it is looking like if Spencer Howard can stay healthy he will have a good chance at the starting rotation this season if the Phillies vets keep dropping like flies.

• Thanks 1

Has it been announced players will not play who test positive and recover? I’m confused by the reactions...

At this rate, MLB may reach herd immunity by opening day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yanks#1 said:

Has it been announced players will not play who test positive and recover? I’m confused by the reactions...

If you have tested positive you have to wait until the disease ends.  You have to test negative for the disease in two different tests over at least a 24 hour period.  Since you can test positive for 30 or more days even if asymptomatic any of these players could be out for part or all of the season.  Yes it could be less time but that isn't guaranteed. 

And the symptoms that Freddie Freeman is showing kind of indicate he could be out for awhile.  One 38 year old coach in good shape had it for over a month and lost 18 lbs in the process.  And the can be lasting effects especially to your lungs.  Hopefully Freddie's case won't be as severe but he still will have some physical recovering to do after recovering from the infection I'd imagine.

I think you are mixing up a positive result with self-quarantining for 14 days if you have been around someone with it but you haven't showed any signs as of yet.

And the LeMathieu Rotoworld blurb:

The Yankees said DJ LeMahieu is currently isolating at home without symptoms after testing positive for COVID-19.

As long as LeMahieu remains asymptomatic, he'd seem to have a good chance of playing second base for the Yankees on Opening Day. First, though, he'll have to test negative twice before he'll be allowed to rejoin the team.

Source: James Wagner on Twitter             Jul 4, 2020, 7:40 PM ET

And, again, that is IF his infection clears quickly.  Rotoworld Blurb Guy is a hopeful guy I guess.  Because some infections, even asymptomatic, can hang around for awhile.

• Thanks 1

9 out of 56 Angel training camp roster players are out for undisclosed reasons.

• Thanks 1