The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

3 hours ago, B&F said:

I hope they don't shut down the season.  Even if a team plays 10 games fewer it is still baseball.  

The World Series winner won't be a true champion but it is what it is.  Who cares at this point?  We are in the middle of a pandemic.  

For entertainment purposes only.

If they can find a way to get each team at least 50 games, just go by winning %. They've done it before in less insane circumstances.

2 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

It's officially a done deal now:

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have agreed to stage seven-inning doubleheaders starting Aug. 1.

This rule will be for the 2020 season only. It's a way to move forward with a 60-game schedule without overworking pitchers; a worry even with the expanded rosters. Expect the Marlins and Phillies to have several of these doubleheaders after their games were canceled due to a breakout of the COVID-19 virus in Miami last weekend. 

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter             Jul 30, 2020, 7:59 PM ET

• Like 2

Dunno if MIA and PHI will ever play again this season lol.  I've got 4 PHI players including two SPs. I guess MLB will stick it out as long as they can. Would look bad if they called it a season after like 3 weeks.

Here we go again, damn:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Friday's game between the Cardinals and Brewers has been postponed due to a positive COVID-19 test.

Heyman says that the Cardinals are the team that had the positive test. It's unclear at this point if it's more than one player/team personnel that tested positive. Joel Sherman of the New York Post adds that the Cardinals are self-isolating at their hotel and not going to the park. Certainly, the entire series between the two clubs would seem to be in jeopardy of being postponed. Also, if the positive test came while the Cardinals were in Minnesota this week -- which seems likely -- it would put the Indians/Twins series in jeopardy, as well.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter          Jul 31, 2020, 9:22 AM ET

I assumed MLB had a plan in place where it wouldn’t have such a paralyzing effect every time a positive test comes in.

Obviously the Marlins are a unique case, and the Phillies are being extra cautious because the played the Marlins, but why is a positive test in St Louis any different than any other case where a player is shut down after a positive test but the team moves on??

This is unreal....I don't know how long baseball will drag on, but this is pointless at this stage 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I assumed MLB had a plan in place where it wouldn’t have such a paralyzing effect every time a positive test comes in.

Obviously the Marlins are a unique case, and the Phillies are being extra cautious because the played the Marlins, but why is a positive test in St Louis any different than any other case where a player is shut down after a positive test but the team moves on??

Everyone else on the team has to be tested during the next few days during covid's incubation period because the other players could have the virus too.  Everyone on Minnesota, who the Cardinals just played, has to be tested too and their games with Cleveland are in jeopardy.  To continue the season they have to try and hammer down any and all outbreaks before the Cards give the virus to Milwaukee and find out if they gave it already to the Twins who could then give it to Cleveland.

The "any other case" thing was during spring training 2.0 during the intake process and before the player infected mingled with the rest of his teammates or, worse case, the team had to be tested over and over again in their own facilities if a player got it after intake.  But they were not playing other teams at that time.

And there is no "extra" caution with the Phillies.  Miami left their visitors clubhouse a petri dish and so far one coach and two staffers have tested positive on the Phils.

There is no magic bullet for coronavirus as of yet.  No plan by anyone in the world to make it magically go away let alone MLB having a plan for it.

Meanwhile guess what:

Daniel Alvarez Montes of El Extrabase reports that another Marlins player has tested positive for COVID-19.

That brings the total to 18 players having tested positive, and there are two coaches that have contracted the virus, as well. All Marlins' games have been postponed through Sunday. They're tentatively scheduled to resume their schedule Tuesday, but whether that actually happens remains to be seen.

Source: Daniel Alvarez Montes on Twitter                 Jul 31, 2020, 10:35 AM ET

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

This is getting embarrassing for MLB, every other major sport can figure it out plus sports like NBA, NHL, MMA, and Soccer have wayyyyy more contact. Figure it out MLB.

3 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

This is getting embarrassing for MLB, every other major sport can figure it out plus sports like NBA, NHL, MMA, and Soccer have wayyyyy more contact. Figure it out MLB.

The sports that are making it work either don't play in the US or eliminated their regular season. I'm starting to think there's no way to make this work and keep a regular season. Teams can stomach being in a bubble for a week or two; more if they're progressing through a tournament. The Marlins, for example, aren't being careful for three months when they have nothing to play for.

• Like 1

If one of those Cardinals‘ players is a position player I think we may see Dylan Carlson this weekend.

16 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

One soccer team was already sent home in their entirety in US league for covid as I recall. Soccer in Europe was being played in an area that did a far FAR better job of suppressing covid at least so far. 

NBA has dinky rosters sizes compared to baseball and has only played one game so far.  Also a number of teams from the NBA aren't even in this tournament.  Hockey is also in tournament mode basically with less teams and smaller rosters too.  Both sports will face a much tougher test with their new seasons right around the corner.

Baseball can't easily be put in any bubble.  All the baseball fields needed can't be stuck inside one theme park bubble like small sized basketball courts can be.  And so-called bubble would be that in name only.  Yes I'm saying the Arizona-Florida plan was laughable from the start.

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:
If one of those Cardinals‘ players is a position player I think we may see Dylan Carlson this weekend.

What makes you think the Cardinals will play ball this weekend at all.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What makes you think the Cardinals will play ball this weekend at all.

Apparently you missed this part:

MLB says #Cardinals have been able to follow protocols, identify two positive tests, isolate, and that as a result they intend for the #Brewers, #stlcards to play Saturday, as scheduled. Doubleheader Sunday.

Posts removed.  Let's review some basic ground rules here:

1. If you see a post you believe violates the guidelines, your options are to (a) report it and move on, or (b) just move on.  Complaining about it in the thread serves no purpose at all, as it just contributes to the noise, prolongs the disagreement, and is less likely to be seen by staff.  You're wasting your time and ours by posting them and/or participating in the derailment of the thread that follows.

2. Site guidelines prohibit, among other things, discussions of a political nature.  The question of what constitutes a political discussion is one that may be hard to pin down a universally accepted answer to, but the staff has always tried to interpret it as narrowly as possible, meaning that, while discussion of individual politicians / candidates / parties is firmly out of bounds, discussions of public policy that have a political connection to them are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

3. COVID-19 presents a unique challenge when enforcing these guidelines given that it's affecting the game on the field and in our fantasy leagues.  During the offseason, we relaxed our interpretation of things a bit and tried to keep non-baseball-related discussions of the virus and public policy limited to a single thread.  The results were mixed at best, with far too many crossing the line into personal attacks and not nearly enough civil commentary to sustain a worthwhile discussion, so we certainly won't be going back to that laissez-faire approach now.

4. We tend to be more reactive than proactive outside of player outlook threads here, with less enforcement of rules against BC/CSB/off topic discussions in threads like this one.  The post in question, however, which was prompted by a politically-oriented PM from another user and contained a lot of non-baseball and political content, had no place in this discussion.

5. Despite this, nobody reported the post in question (which has now been deleted) as a violation of the rules.  Now that I've taken a closer look at it, it's clear that it's the kind of thing we just can't have on this forum.  If you get PMs you don't like from someone, you need to block them instead of trying to make it a topic of conversation in a thread that's already going to be hard to keep on track.  I understand where the impulse to post it came from, but it's not the kind of thing this community can handle, and we've got to operate within the parameters of the user base and staff resources we have.

6. There's no playbook for how to deal with a pandemic, and that applies to what we're trying to do with this community as well.  We won't always get our initial snap judgement calls right, but we're trying.  You can help by reporting posts that are derailing threads and not participating in the derail yourself.

7. Any responses to anything I've said here or any other questions/concerns about the site guidelines need to be addressed to us via PM or posted to the Fantasy Feedback Forum.  Anything here that isn't directly relevant to a baseball player/team dealing with COVID-19 is going to be removed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well just not covid but increasing fear of same may impact soon:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Isan Diaz "is at least considering leaving the team hotel in Philly and possibly opting out."

Diaz is actually in the minority among Marlins players in that he has not tested positive, but it sounds like he is thinking about just heading home. It's hard to blame him, frankly. As it stands right now, the Marlins are slated to begin a road trip next week with a roster that's in shambles.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter            Jul 31, 2020, 12:05 PM ET

And I didn't even know they were still in the Philly hotel.  I thought they flew back to Miami yesterday.

Also isn't August 1st the deadline to opt out or back in?  Or is it today the 31st?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And I didn't even know they were still in the Philly hotel.  I thought they flew back to Miami yesterday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

The end is near for this season..

Agree. They are trying to fight a losing battle.

11 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Thanks.  I bet Jeter would like to stuff the covid positive players in something a little less elegant than a sleeper bus at this point.  At least the original handful that started this whole damn mess.  I hear MLB has launched an official investigation to get back to how it all started aka seeing if the Atlanta "out clubbing" rumor is true.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well just not covid but increasing fear of same may impact soon:

Also isn't August 1st the deadline to opt out or back in?  Or is it today the 31st?

The infected players are going back to Miami, the non infected players are staying in Philly hoping to play in Baltimore next week

I didn't see the Tweet above before I posted 

Edited by hockeyfan77

My money's on 8/21 being the day the 2020 season goes toe up.

Enjoy it while you can, basebros.

Lots of rumors swirling on Twitter the last few days tying the Marlins outbreak to a bunch of players going to a strip club in Atlanta. I’m not sure if it’s possible to fine players for these types of infractions, but if true there needs to be a message sent.

• Like 1