The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

It's the air travel I think.  One player gets it from community spread somehow (family, going to a strip club) and then they sit on a plane for 3 hours.  Lockerrooms as well - unless they put plexiglass to further separate all lockers and don't shower and the like in the stadium. 

NBA and NHL are in bubbles away from their families and it's a camaraderie thing in a way, and also to finish out the season.  Baseball players are otherwise living their normal COVID lives, living at home, traveling to road games. 

The players need to realize that the could have opted out if they didn't want the precautions necessary to play out the season.  But they wanted to get paid.  And now nobody is going to get paid if the season is cancelled because of an outbreak. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

You got that right.

Go suck a fat one, Ohtani!  What is this INF in the ERA and WHIP fields.  Don’t need it.

You tell em, Tommy Lee!

2 hours ago, turner46 said:

I don't think it's that he believes that but more so he's greedy and doesn't give a f about player safety. Check Bauer's tweet, less games, less player salaries, more tv revenue, more playoff revenue Manfred and the owners are laughing. On phone or I would link it. His 3 other tweets from today about them postponing his start 8 minutes before the game was supposed to after he already warmed up to be ready is unheard of. Check his series of tweets, better then me rambling on. Ive heard of player coaches, Trev should become the first player commissioner.

this would make for great entertainment!

• Like 1

Geez, now the double dip scheduled for tmrw @ Miller Park between Crew and Cards has been cancelled. Thanks a lot Cardinals, ugh.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Geez, now the double dip scheduled for tmrw @ Miller Park between Crew and Cards has been cancelled. Thanks a lot Cardinals, ugh.

Manfred floated a triple header. Each game will be two-thirds of an inning. 

• Haha 5

On 7/31/2020 at 3:45 PM, MrPositive said:

Why can't Americans take this virus seriously? I just don't get it

The answer to this question is long, frustrating, and sad -- and would also take this thread off the rails. Best to just say it's a bummer what's happening and there is no clear end in sight. Best hope is that we get a vaccine in the next 9 months. Otherwise the "normal" sports experience ain't coming back to the US for a long time.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Any word on Cardinals tests today yet?

“Not good.”

• Thanks 2

Awesome work Cards, you literally see what happens when things go wrong with MIA and decide to throw caution to the wind (within a relatively hot-zone like WI is currently)...sorry but as poorly as Manfred has done, these cases appear to be pretty much on the players are not respecting protocol measures--if what has been whispered about is in fact true.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Does that mean the entire season against I think the Tigers is now cancelled.  I wish clubs like the Marlins and Cards would have to forfeit games instead of screw up teams that have been following the protocols making them scramble to play double headers while their hitters get rusty waiting and their rotation ends up messed up now and especially later with a whole bunch of games crammed in later on.

Also:

Sun, Aug 2       Reds placed 1B Joey Votto on the injured list.

Advice: Bobby Nightengale of The Cincinnati Enquirer says that Votto reported symptoms to the Reds but has not tested positive for COVID-19. Josh VanMeter and Matt Davidson figure to pick up the slack at first base while Votto is sidelined.

More: Cincinnati Enquirer            (Rotoworld.com)

It is one thing not to have test results not back yet but to immediately put him on the 10 day IL before they are even back does not bode well.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)

Has this happened yet does anyone know?  Is it online wherre we can see it too?  Carried by ESPN even?  Hope this is a tough, transparent, truthful thing and not just PR spin that no one is going to believe.  But I fear the latter.

Marlins CEO Derek Jeter, team president Michael Hill, and manager Don Mattingly are scheduled to address the media on Monday in regard to the team's COVID-19 outbreak.

Craig Mish of SportsGrid hears that the Marlins have received MLB's review of their practices and that they have conducted a review of their own. There has been a ton of speculation about the cause of the outbreak, ranging from reckless to random. It will be nice to finally (hopefully?) get some clarification. 18 Marlins players have tested positive, but the club is scheduled to resume play on Tuesday. 

Source: Craig Mish on Twitter                Aug 3, 2020, 12:49 PM ET

Also any word on the Cardinals status?  Nothing after "plural" positive tests yesterday.  No hard numbers.  No info on whether it was all players, no players, some staff, all staff, what.  No ETA on a return to baseball OR how many more days they won't return as in how many days does the whole team have to test negative to qualify for a return as in does MLB even have guidelines here.  This lack of transparency is getting old fast.

Also should we just assume the entire series with Detroit is cancelled now?  As if the Tigers don't have enough problems now they have to play make-up double headers down the road because of those idiot Redbird players.

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Has this happened yet does anyone know?  Is it online wherre we can see it too?  Carried by ESPN even?  Hope this is a tough, transparent, truthful thing and not just PR spin that no one is going to believe.  But I fear the latter.

Also any word on the Cardinals status?  Nothing after "plural" positive tests yesterday.  No hard numbers.  No info on whether it was all players, no players, some staff, all staff, what.  No ETA on a return to baseball OR how many more days they won't return as in how many days does the whole team have to test negative to qualify for a return as in does MLB even have guidelines here.  This lack of transparency is getting old fast.

Also should we just assume the entire series with Detroit is cancelled now?  As if the Tigers don't have enough problems now they have to play make-up double headers down the road because of those idiot Redbird players.

TBD I think....  They moved today's game to a DH on Wednesday...  I guess we will find out soon...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

In weekly roster locks you gotta bench your Cardinals if you have backups, right??

Well there is this.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic hears that the Cardinals and Tigers are considered "highly unlikely" to play Tuesday in Comerica Park.

The Cardinals are awaiting the results of their latest COVID-19 tests after multiple members of the organization tested positive over the weekend. It seems a number of those positives were among staff or other personnel, so it's possible the club could be back in action quickly depending on what they find. As of now, the Cardinals and Tigers are also scheduled for a doubleheader on Wednesday and an afternoon game on Thursday. Stay tuned.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter           Aug 3, 2020, 1:45 PM ET

So the answer is who knows.  7 inning double headers with 2 innings less of stats each at best.  At worse they sit around and do nothing.

52 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

In weekly roster locks you gotta bench your Cardinals if you have backups, right??

I can't see any way you're plugging in Cardinal players this week if your alternatives are decent and playing. Maybe Flaherty, but he's the only one I'd consider and that's because he's getting the next start. It might be worth gambling that'll come before next weekend. Missing 4-5+ games is too much a risk for any position players, imo.

33 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I can't see any way you're plugging in Cardinal players this week if your alternatives are decent and playing. Maybe Flaherty, but he's the only one I'd consider and that's because he's getting the next start. It might be worth gambling that'll come before next weekend. Missing 4-5+ games is too much a risk for any position players, imo.

Same thoughts here regarding Flaherty. You can bet if they play one game later this week, he’ll start it. If you don’t have a great bench option, it might be worth a shot. Anyone else I’d say is too risky in a weekly.

There are no polite words left to express my discuss with those Marlins and Cards players that just couldn't be bothered to follow basic health guidelines for 2 weeks let alone 2 months.

And I guess this is only appropriate.  It would have turned into a Field of Nightmares the way this season has gone so far:

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, Major League Baseball has canceled the Field of Dreams game scheduled for next Thursday in Iowa.

The Cardinals were set to play the White Sox on the site where Kevin Costner's 1989 movie was filmed, but there were apparently too many logistical problems as MLB continues to attempt to stage a 60-game baseball season amid a global pandemic. Rosenthal hears that the decision to cancel the game was not tied to the Cardinals' recent COVID-19 outbreak, but that situation certainly didn't help matters.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Aug 3, 2020, 3:47 PM ET

If they catch covid, they won't come.

I just went to set my tue lineup but 10 out of 25 players' games are ppd. That is almost half my roster. 

I imagine more and more teams will be affected. When do they shut things down. Either they just play through it or dont play the season at all. 

On 8/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Does that mean the entire season against I think the Tigers is now cancelled.  I wish clubs like the Marlins and Cards would have to forfeit games instead of screw up teams that have been following the protocols making them scramble to play double headers while their hitters get rusty waiting and their rotation ends up messed up now and especially later with a whole bunch of games crammed in later on.

Also:

It is one thing not to have test results not back yet but to immediately put him on the 10 day IL before they are even back does not bode well.

20 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There are no polite words left to express my discuss with those Marlins and Cards players that just couldn't be bothered to follow basic health guidelines for 2 weeks let alone 2 months.

And I guess this is only appropriate.  It would have turned into a Field of Nightmares the way this season has gone so far:

If they catch covid, they won't come.

Know the facts before...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29590735/derek-jeter-blames-miami-marlins-outbreak-false-sense-security

Guys were around each other, they got relaxed and they let their guard down," Jeter said. "They were getting together in groups. They weren't wearing masks as much as they should have; they weren't social distancing."

Jeter said his players were upset by speculation that reckless misbehavior was to blame.

"Our guys were not running all around town in Atlanta," he said. "We did have a couple of individuals leave the hotel. We had guys leave to get coffee, to get clothes. A guy left to have dinner at a teammate's house. There were no other guests on site. There was no salacious activity. There was no hanging out at bars, no clubs, no running around Atlanta."

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Know the facts before...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29590735/derek-jeter-blames-miami-marlins-outbreak-false-sense-security

Guys were around each other, they got relaxed and they let their guard down," Jeter said. "They were getting together in groups. They weren't wearing masks as much as they should have; they weren't social distancing."

Jeter said his players were upset by speculation that reckless misbehavior was to blame.

"Our guys were not running all around town in Atlanta," he said. "We did have a couple of individuals leave the hotel. We had guys leave to get coffee, to get clothes. A guy left to have dinner at a teammate's house. There were no other guests on site. There was no salacious activity. There was no hanging out at bars, no clubs, no running around Atlanta."

Know the facts?  Hahahaha.  We don't know the facts from this.  Just the Marlins' desperate PR spin. 

Spin, spin, spin, away, Jeter.  Yeah a couple of the players just grew covid in a petri dish at home for fun and invited over their pals to share their science experiment with them.  Innocent fun.   I mean how else could covid get inside the group?  Or maybe it was like a covid filled meteor fell down in some guy's back yard and he called up the others to come over and check it out.  Or covid is now just spontaneously combusting in players' hotel rooms.  Yeah that was it. 

Yeah that must have been how it happened.  "Because our guys would never ever leave the hotel except for "coffee" because you can't get "coffee" in a hotel you know.  That's what they told me and I'm sure that is all they did because I was a super duper boy scout too back in the day and only left the hotel for "coffee" myself.  It's what players do.  They need their "coffee" you know."

Does Jeter sell swampland in Florida on the side?  I wasn't born yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Know the facts before...

I mean...they weren't taking proper precautions, and they got wrecked by something that would have been significantly mitigated had they been following basic protocol? Did they think MLB and every multi-billion dollar professional sports league shut down for nothing? They just like losing revenue? Governments across the globe had significantly limited their population activities for fun? 

They had ample time to implement policies and procedures and ensure they were followed. And they ignored it. I've got no sympathy. I'll at least withhold complete outrage if they really weren't going out at all, but their actions (or lack thereof) put them in the very mess they're in. Those are the facts. 

And this is their PR response? 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Know the facts?  Hahahaha.  We don't know the facts from this.  Just the Marlins' desperate PR spin. 

Spin, spin, spin, away, Jeter.  Yeah a couple of the players just grew covid in a petri dish at home for fun and invited over their pals to share their science experiment with them.  Innocent fun.   I mean how else could covid get inside the group?  Or maybe it was like a covid filled meteor fell down in some guy's back yard and he called up the others to come over and check it out.  Or covid is now just spontaneously combusting in players' hotel rooms.  Yeah that was it. 

Yeah that must have been how it happened.  "Because our guys would never ever leave the hotel except for "coffee" because you can't get "coffee" in a hotel you know.  That's what they told me and I'm sure that is all they did because I was a super duper boy scout too back in the day and only left the hotel for "coffee" myself.  It's what players do.  They need their "coffee" you know."

Does Jeter sell swampland in Florida on the side?  I wasn't born yesterday.

Once you seen it in a tweet that some Marlin players went to the tittie bar it was a fact. That tweet had the makings to go viral it was filled with good sh*5..More like since you read it on the internet it is true... You formed an opinion just based on that info, you didn’t wait you for an explanation. Just remember there were no photos of these players at the bar. With, Lou Williams we seen the dirty.

Is Jeter fibbing a story? I don’t know. 

The virus does spread through contact the barrister could have passed the virus to one of the players. So all these people coming down with Covid grew it from a Petri dish and gave it to themselves. 

8 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I mean...they weren't taking proper precautions, and they got wrecked by something that would have been significantly mitigated had they been following basic protocol? Did they think MLB and every multi-billion dollar professional sports league shut down for nothing? They just like losing revenue? Governments across the globe had significantly limited their population activities for fun? 

They had ample time to implement policies and procedures and ensure they were followed. And they ignored it. I've got no sympathy. I'll at least withhold complete outrage if they really weren't going out at all, but their actions (or lack thereof) put them in the very mess they're in. Those are the facts. 

And this is their PR response? 

It seems what you wrote above that everybody who gets the virus are not taking precautions. . ?  What I read from survivors of Covid their stories were published in the New York Times they were taking precautions they weren’t in denial about this virus, but somehow came in contact with .... a known source which passed the virus.