The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

It seems what you wrote above that everybody who gets the virus are not taking precautions. . ?  What I read from survivors of Covid their stories were published in the New York Times they were taking precautions they weren’t in denial about this virus, but somehow came in contact with .... a known source which passed the virus. 

No.  He was referring to the fact that Jeter admitted his players were not taking basic precautions.  (He bolded and underlined the relevant quote.)

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

No.  He was referring to the fact that Jeter admitted his players were not taking basic precautions.  (He bolded and underlined the relevant quote.)

I thought he put the blame on them going to the strip club. My mistake. 

Anyway whatever ... 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I thought he put the blame on them going to the strip club. My mistake. 

Anyway whatever ... 

Whether a strip club -- and I still think that is the truth -- or the below ...

Guys were around each other, they got relaxed and they let their guard down," Jeter said. "They were getting together in groups. They weren't wearing masks as much as they should have; they weren't social distancing."

Jeter said his players were upset by speculation that reckless misbehavior was to blame.

... it is the same damn thing.  "getting together in groups" aka "socializing" in a strip club or (snort) in someone's back yard or hotel room or wherever is their lame "explanation".  Reckless behavior in the middle of a pandemic.  It was totally against the protocols their association agreed to.  Actions they should NOT have been doing. And yet they received no fines or anything.  Unbelievable.

So it is all on those players.  Period.  I don't see how anyone on earth can excuse what they did.  They spread the virus and shut down several other teams for days and days.  They threaten the very season itself.  All because of, yes, RECKLESS BEHAVIOR.  The very idea they are "upset" that people think they did what they did is beyond belief.  Denial much.  And sadly they still don't get it it seems.

And Jeter PR-ing the hell of it is totally unseemly.  He should have been a man and reamed them for what they did even if he actually "believes" (hahaha) their story they weren't at the club.  Because if he believes their lame accuse ("the dog ate my protocols") even if true it was reckless behavior and he should have fined or suspended them or both. 

A message needs to be sent to these bozos that they aren't going to get away with this crap with a little slap on the wrist and a wink and a nod or this season is toast as players on all clubs see they can get away with this.  Shame on Jeter for making the situation worse.  Stop being a herd animal player and start being an owner.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed - I expected better of him as a leader.  There is no reason to stand up for people who act with such carelessness and reckless disregard for human life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Agreed - I expected better of him as a leader.  There is no reason to stand up for people who act with such carelessness and reckless disregard for human life.

What do you suggest. Lock players in the hotel rooms? Like house arrest or maybe put on an ankle bracelet like paroles that are on parole? I definitely agree mistakes were made by players whether they went out partied or just stayed in their hotel and didn’t follow the strict guidelines in placed...  no masks not social distancing ... but damn these guys are young. Young stupid and full of ..... piss & vinegar. I have to believe more mistakes is coming  whether we hear it was baseball, football or basketball players.
I was never one of those who blamed another person for other people’s mistakes. Players made the mistake not Derek Jeter. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

What do you suggest. Lock players in the hotel rooms? Like house arrest or maybe put on an ankle bracelet like paroles that are on parole? I definitely agree mistakes were made by players whether they went out partied or just stayed in their hotel and didn’t follow the strict guidelines in placed...  no masks not social distancing ... but damn these guys are young. Young stupid and full of ..... piss & vinegar. I have to believe more mistakes is coming  whether we hear it was baseball, football or basketball players.
I was never one of those who blamed another person for other people’s mistakes. Players made the mistake not Derek Jeter. 

Players make this life and death mistake who could literally lead to someone else's death down the line.  And I don't mean them either.  I don't care what happens to jerks who want to play Russian roulette with themselves and everyone else they meet from their loved ones to the clerk at the "coffee" shop they visited. 

But owners fine and suspend them for same.  Period.  They don't wink and not at it.  They set an example.  Jeter was weak.

And being young and full of "piss and vinegar" doesn't fly and never has let alone during a pandemic where their "piss and vinegar" could kill or cause serious side effects down the years to other people.  The majority of players are following these protocols just fine so absolutely no "piss and vinegar" excuse for these jerks.  Actions, at ANY age, have consequences.  These idiots need to learn it now or they will be doing the same thing again and again through life.  Jeter punted and was totally wrong in so doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Players make this life and death mistake who could literally lead to someone else's death down the line.  And I don't mean them either.  I don't care what happens to jerks who want to play Russian roulette with themselves and everyone else they meet from their loved ones to the clerk at the "coffee" shop they visited. 

But owners fine and suspend them for same.  Period.  They don't wink and not at it.  They set an example.  Jeter was weak.

And being young and full of "piss and vinegar" doesn't fly and never has let alone during a pandemic where their "piss and vinegar" could kill or cause serious side effects down the years to other people.  The majority of players are following these protocols just fine so absolutely no "piss and vinegar" excuse for these jerks.  Actions, at ANY age, have consequences.  These idiots need to learn it now or they will be doing the same thing again and again through life.  Jeter punted and was totally wrong in so doing.

I understand the “youth” immaturity argument - but yes, I want someone to prevent these kids from exposing people to a lethal illness.  I don’t think that’s a tall order.

• Like 2

That means the Cubs get postponed as well. 

Crap my line-ups look like Swiss cheese.  Man I hate those original core of jerks that can't maintain the very basic of health protocols and pass this stuff on to others on their teams and bring baseball to a screeching halt especially for those teams who do have discipline and have to wait out an entire series through no fault of their own.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Cards game PPD again due to more positive test results

The more details part:

Mark Saxon of The Athletic reports that Friday's game between the Cubs and Cardinals has been postponed following additional positive test(s) results.

Earlier this week the Cardinals were cleared to resume play on Friday following a nine-day layoff, but things are on hold again. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says that the Cards have one new positive test result and are undergoing additional testing to see if it's more widespread. The status of the games on Saturday and Sunday isn't clear, but they would certainly appear to be in jeopardy of being postponed, as well.

Source: Mark Saxon on TwitterA           ug 7, 2020, 12:58 PM ET

This lack of discipline from the original gulty parties on both the Marlins and now the Cardinals suck.  They are ruining baseball for their teammates.  They are ruining baseball for the innocent teams that have their games postponed as well.  They are ruining the season.

And I am trying very VERY hard not to mention them putting other lives at risk or giving long term health problems to other people.  But I still cannot NOT mention it.  Idiots!  Louts!  Jerks!  Ignorant knuckleheads!  (There, I feel a little better after that mini vent).

• Like 1

I can't wait to see how Yahoo (don't care about the other fantasy sites) handle the makeup games and actually listing it properly of opponents, game times, etc...

They might not makeup all the games and decide playoff entrants from winning percentage.

scary time to own a cardinal.

3 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

They might not makeup all the games and decide playoff entrants from winning percentage.

I don't know, it looks like they want to make up all of the missed ones so far...

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Would be a shame to see a team like the Marlins get into the playoffs because they won an unrepresentative sample size and got to skip to the boss fight with a fraction of the effort while the majority of the league has to suffer injuries, fatigue and the law of averages. I'm sure there's a reason they won't do it this way (and it may even be a good reason) but I feel like in flagrantly reckless instances it really ought to be chalked up as a forfeiture and the schedule should be allowed to move ahead unimpeded.

Edited by matdotmarshall
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You can't make the teams forfeit missed games and still expect them to be vigilant about testing and isolating. Besides that, we seem to be veering back towards blaming people for getting a disease that millions of people have already had and millions more will still get. Many of the people getting it are taking reasonable precautions and getting it anyways.

Edited by Hanghow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

You can't make the teams forfeit missed games and still expect them to be vigilant about testing and isolating. Besides that, we seem to be veering back towards blaming people for getting a disease that millions of people have already had and millions more will still get. Many of the people getting it are taking reasonable precautions and getting it anyways.

Perfectly fair take on COVID in general. But the truth also remains that some people put themselves and others at much, much greater risk through reckless behavior, potentially violating either the letter or the spirit of MLB's health and safety protocols.

Testing/screening, every other day I believe, is a requirement of the H/S protocols--not a discretionary decision by individual clubs. Teams that scale back testing in order to conceal positives, if that's even in their purview, also ought to be penalized.

I agree that short of putting the majors in a bubble you're going to have infections peppered throughout all 30 clubs, but you're going to have dramatically more infections where irresponsibility comes into play and that can jeopardize the game for everyone both as a logistical and public health matter. This isn't about getting a pound of flesh because we're mad at people who get sick. It's about protecting players and keeping the season viable.

I'm sure I'm off topic at this point and I'm not the guy who gets to make these decisions. Happy to drop it. I'm just grimacing at the idea that preventable mistakes could jeopardize everyone's season.

• Like 1

Scott Kingery said Friday that he dealt with some lingering effects from his bout with COVID-19 during summer camp.

Kingery said he battled some shortness of breath. He felt better once the season began but feels the pause in the Phillies' schedule set him back. Kingery -- who is just 2-for-24 to start the season -- is getting a day off Friday. Neil Walker is at second base.

2 hours ago, Hanghow said:

But Jeter confessed to the fact that his Marlins were NOT taking the protocols seriously and were socializing in groups.  And I cannot imagine those originally infected on Cardinals got it any other way.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2020 at 11:25 AM, BMcP said:

Didn't he fire someone in the hospital? 

What happened to that Jeter?

• Like 1

Well looks like the Cardinals managed to screw another team out of playing games.  This time the Pirates.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that Monday's game between the Pirates and Cardinals in St. Louis has been postponed.

Passan also notes that the Pirates' flight to St. Louis has been canceled, providing further evidence that the series won't begin as originally planned. However, it sounds like playing Tuesday and/or Wednesday hasn't been ruled out just yet. The Cardinals haven't played since July 29 due to a COVID-19 outbreak.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter           Aug 8, 2020, 10:30 PM ET

Monday's games is #13 the Cards have had postponed.

I'm with his teammates.  I'd be super pissed at him too:

Zach Plesac was sent home by the Indians and will be quarantined for 72 hours after going out with friends in Chicago on Saturday night.

Plesac tossed six scoreless innings against the White Sox on Saturday afternoon and apparently wanted to celebrate the impressive outing, but he did so in violation of team rules and MLB's COVID-19 health and safety protocols. Plesac's actions have "upset teammates and club officials," per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, and it's unclear whether he'll be given the go-ahead to make his scheduled start next weekend in Detroit.

Source: The Athletic                  Aug 9, 2020, 5:51 PM ET

What is wrong with these boneheads?  How stupid can humans get?  He should be suspended for the rest of the season.  Period.  Besides the obvious health concerns he could have made Cleveland into St Louis 2.0.

Speaking of which:

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the upcoming three-game series between the Cardinals and Pirates has been "canceled."

A better word would be "postponed," but it's hard to figure how the Cardinals are going to be able to make up all of these games. This particular three-game set was supposed to be played between Monday, August 10 and Wednesday, August 12 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. The Cardinals haven't taken the field since July 29 due to a COVID-19 outbreak that has affected a reported 16 total players and staff members. Jon Heyman of MLB Network adds that there was at least one additional positive from the latest round of testing.

Source: Buster Olney on Twitter          Aug 9, 2020, 5:30 PM ET

Those are games #13, 14 and 15 if I counted right that have been postponed for the Cards.  That is fully one quarter of the season.  This is beyond stupid.

I just noticed cards record is 2-3, while some teams will play their 20th game tomorrow. They're getting beyond far behind.

• Like 1

Cardinals coach tested positive yesterday.  Tomorrow's game postponed.  Double header likely but not certain on Saturday.

• Like 1