The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

These guys are going to be playing a LOT of baseball each day for a good month-plus!

34 minutes ago, B&F said:

Cardinals coach tested positive yesterday.  Tomorrow's game postponed.  Double header likely but not certain on Saturday.

TBF only Heyman is saying that at this point.

I’ll wait for like Passan or Goold

Meant specifically about the positive coach, but ya... Saturday it seems

Well, until that’s pushed back tomorrow at 9am

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

These guys are going to be playing a LOT of baseball each day for a good month-plus!

Owning any of Cardinal players is beyond crazy. How about leagues when you own a good portion of players on one team. 

At what number of games postponed do they just cancel the Cardinals season and have them forfeit/negate all their games?  No way they can make up 20 games - that's a third of the season, and it was already a crammed schedule.  Are they going to play double headers for whole series later on?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

At what number of games postponed do they just cancel the Cardinals season and have them forfeit/negate all their games?  No way they can make up 20 games - that's a third of the season, and it was already a crammed schedule.  Are they going to play double headers for whole series later on?

Yeah they have only played 5 games all season.

This is the Rotoworld blurb btw:

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Cardinals' scheduled Friday night game at the White Sox has been postponed.

Sherman hears that the goal is for the two teams to play a doubleheader on Saturday, but that could be wishful thinking, as Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that a Cardinals coach has tested positive for COVID-19, which brings the total cases in the organization up to 18. St. Louis hasn't taken the field since July 29.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter                Aug 13, 2020, 12:51 PM ET

Even if they played a ton of Double Headers - there is no great way to make up that many games unless they have upwards of 10sp's and a dozen bullpen guys. I guess for position players it is not as bad, but playing two 7 innings games is still going to negatively impact counting stats, at a minimum. Owning a Cardinal is a disaster these days

9 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

Even if they played a ton of Double Headers - there is no great way to make up that many games unless they have upwards of 10sp's and a dozen bullpen guys. I guess for position players it is not as bad, but playing two 7 innings games is still going to negatively impact counting stats, at a minimum. Owning a Cardinal is a disaster these days

Posted (edited)

Wouldn’t let me put text under the quote. But yeah, I feel you. I drafted Flaherty as my only top 15 SP and it’s been brutal watching all of my categories slowly dwindle without the ace arm in there. 

so, this is an outside the box idea, but what if they combine their team and their taxi squad into two full teams and play multiple series at once? They should have enough players to do it and it will allow for them to make up games rapidly. The competition aspect sucks but this is a way to actually play the games without absolutely burning guys out and fitting the schedule. 

Edited by aapox

10 minutes ago, aapox said:

Wouldn’t let me put text under the quote. But yeah, I feel you. I drafted Flaherty as my only top 15 SP and it’s been brutal watching all of my categories slowly dwindle without the ace arm in there. 

so, this is an outside the box idea, but what if they combine their team and their taxi squad into two full teams and play multiple series at once? They should have enough players to do it and it will allow for them to make up games rapidly. The competition aspect sucks but this is a way to actually play the games without absolutely burning guys out and fitting the schedule. 

Split squads would make the competition unfair...  They players at the alternate site are there for a reason and not on the major league roster...

I mentioned that it will impact the competition aspect in my post. At some point something is going to be unfair for someone. 

Update on Clevinger and Plesac:

Indians activated RHP Mike Clevinger from the restricted list; optioned him to their alternate training site.

The team has made the same move with Zach Plesac. Both players violated health and safety protocols by going out last weekend in Chicago. At this point, it's not clear when Clevinger or Plesac will start for the Tribe again.

Aug 14, 2020, 4:19 PM ET

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

And the Rotoworld blurb as always:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that a Reds player has tested positive for COVID-19.

No official announcement has been made, but Jeff Passan of ESPN hears that Saturday's game against the Pirates is likely to be postponed as they'll presumably gather facts and do testing. It's impossible to say where this situation might lead. Coincidentally, the Cardinals are on track to return to action Saturday for the first time since their recent COVID-19 outbreak.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter                 Aug 15, 2020, 1:05 AM ET

And the Reds are scheduled to play the Cardinals starting Thursday. Of course they are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Caelum said:

And the Reds are scheduled to play the Cardinals starting Thursday. Of course they are. 

Brutal! Of course, if it's only one player they could isolate and still possibly make this happen, but that's a longshot given what we've seen with other teams. This absolutely sucks. Second time one team has gotten back and then another steps up to the COVID plate right when we're about to have all teams going again.

• Like 2

If it is only one player would they postpone games?  What is the protocol?

9 minutes ago, B&F said:

If it is only one player would they postpone games?  What is the protocol?

The Reds are likely to undergo increased testing beyond the standard every-other-day saliva test, and with the incubation period for the virus believed to be between two and 10 days, the likely postponement of Saturday's game could extend to Sunday and even beyond, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29665016/cincinnati-reds-player-tests-positive-coronavirus

This weekend's games will be postponed. Best case scenario, there's no more positive tests and they just schedule a couple DH against Pittsburgh later. I think it's most likely that the KC games (Tues and Wed) get pushed too, but the MLB will probably do everything possible to safely get the Reds in order for St. Louis (next Thurs-Sun), but that will require at least a few days in a row of 100% negative tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2020 at 9:22 PM, posty said:

Split squads would make the competition unfair...  They players at the alternate site are there for a reason and not on the major league roster...

The Miami Marlins have a 9-4 record and lead the NL East with a "split squad" team.
Reminds me of this:

Edited by JCD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No official confirmation that it's Senzel, but Senzel was ushered off the field by the 3rd base coach at the end of last night's game:

If true, this would also lead to more questions, e.g. "How long did CIN know Senzel was positive" and  "Why didn't they remove him from the game sooner" and "Seriously guys, wtf?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

No official confirmation that it's Senzel, but Senzel was ushered off the field by the 3rd base coach at the end of last night's game:

If true, this would also lead to more questions, e.g. "How long did CIN know Senzel was positive" and  "Why didn't they remove him from the game sooner" and "Seriously guys, wtf?"

still no word yet on who it was I take it?