The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

Tyler O'Neill late scratch.  No reason given. Ominous.

12 minutes ago, B&F said:

Tyler O'Neill late scratch.  No reason given. Ominous.

Unless covid is now attacking right fingers I don't know why you posted that here in this thread.

Tyler O'Neill was scratched from the lineup Tuesday due to right finger discomfort.

Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said after his team's loss to the Cubs that O'Neill could return to action at some point during Wednesday's doubleheader at Wrigley Field. It doesn't seem to be a serious issue.

Source: Jeff Jones on Twitter                Aug 19, 2020, 12:42 AM ET

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jub Jub said:

Two cases so far; not one:

Friday's scheduled game between the Mets and Yankees has been postponed due tot two positive COVID-19 tests for the Mets. 

It's the second game that has been postponed for the Mets, as Thursday's game between the Mets and Marlins was scrapped. The question now becomes if that series will be able to be played this weekend, as we've generally seen multiple games postponed with positive tests. 

Source: Anthony DiComo on Twitter                     Aug 20, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

And weekend Yankees series already has first game cancelled.  That has usually lead to a whole series being cancelled in the end.  Here we go again.

Lovely, just lovely...

Is Matt Harvey still there?

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Honestly, I'm surprised it took the Mets this long. 

They were working on it. They worked from their original hypothesis of "mosquito bite" and used their middle school hypothesis- test flow charts to arrive at the correct conclusion - good on them - and shame on you - for doubting the expertise of the Mets medical team. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I've yet to have a covid19 ppd happen and not affect my lineup or pitching. Shoulda avoided all Phils, Cards, and Mess players.

Being the Mess, it wouldn't be a complete season if some of them didn't get Covid. Not that I am wishing ill on them, but they aren't the Mess for nothing. And this happened in Miami. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Edited by papasmurf

52 minutes ago, JCD said:

The best thing about this is we won't have to worry about the Yankees/Mets game being the national game...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, posty said:

The best thing about this is we won't have to worry about the Yankees/Mets game being the national game...

They weren't scheduled to be the national game, but I think I speak to all fans that no one wants to be the Sunday night game as listening to the  ESPN booth is torture.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

They weren't scheduled to be the national game, but I think I speak to all fans that no one wants to be the Sunday night game as listening to the  ESPN booth is torture.

Wha?  That is shocking the Yankees/Mets wasn't the national game already scheduled...

5 minutes ago, posty said:

Wha?  That is shocking the Yankees/Mets wasn't the national game already scheduled...

I know hard to believe:

Sun, Jul 26 7 p.m. Atlanta Braves vs. New York Mets
Sun, Jul 26 10 p.m. San Francisco Giants vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Sun, Aug 2 7 p.m. Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees
Sun, Aug 9 7 p.m. Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Sun, Aug 16 7 p.m. Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees
Sun, Aug 23 7 p.m. Philadelphia Phillies vs. Atlanta Braves
Sun, Aug 30 7 p.m. Atlanta Braves vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Sun, Sep 6 7 p.m. St. Louis Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs
Sun, Sep 13 8 p.m. TBD
Sun, Sep 20 7 p.m. TBD

Wonder if schedule lines up for a NY v. NY make-up in the afternoon and both play different opponents that night?

No doubt it would have to be suspended at the end of 13 tied at 5.

is there any word on when the mets can resume playing? i need dom smith bat in my lineup,. just seems funny with all the other teams that had guys test positive they were reporting on it everyday. i havent seen anything else on the mets since they postponed the weekend series

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

is there any word on when the mets can resume playing? i need dom smith bat in my lineup,. just seems funny with all the other teams that had guys test positive they were reporting on it everyday. i havent seen anything else on the mets since they postponed the weekend series

Inside the article mentions no further positives as of today. So nothing definite but seems like good news.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/23/subway-series-between-yankees-mets-could-get-wacky/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Edited by MrBrett
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

There is now:

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Mets haven't had any new positive COVID-19 tests since the original positives involving a player and a coach, and that they are set to resume play on Tuesday.

Great news. Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen will address the media on Monday morning, but this report from Sherman has already been confirmed by multiple outlets. The team's entire weekend series against the Yankees had to be postponed. According to Sherman, the makeup schedule will include doubleheaders against the Yankees on Friday and Sunday as well as individual makeup game on September 3.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter               Aug 24, 2020, 8:29 AM ET

The Tuesday re-start will be a double header against the Marlins.

Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald reports that the Mets and Marlins will play a doubleheader Tuesday at Citi Field.

This will be a makeup game from the postponed contest in Miami last Thursday. An official announcement is expected shortly. With makeup games against the Yankees also expected to be played this weekend, the Mets could be playing nine games in the span of six days.

Source: Jordan McPherson on Twitter           Aug 24, 2020, 9:22 AM ET

• Like 1

First I thought it was the protests again. Turns out it's worse. Damn I guess the next A's series is a no go too.

Posted (edited)

Can anyone provide a graphic of a list of every MLB team with the number of remaining games left on their schedule? i've been looking for this information (in a single graphic) but I've been unsuccessful. Something like this can prove to be useful down the stretch. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

Not sure how useful it is to gain a fantasy advantage considering the 7 inning doubleheaders, how deep benches are, and how few available players will reliably play both games, but it's something.  Shouldn't be too much of a problem for the A's if they only miss a series.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Not sure how useful it is to gain a fantasy advantage considering the 7 inning doubleheaders, how deep benches are, and how few available players will reliably play both games, but it's something.  Shouldn't be too much of a problem for the A's if they only miss a series.

Thanks for the graphic. For starters - I stream for holds every day/week Having two chances instead of one is obviously much more beneficial. The reasons you've stated make sense but if I'm streaming offense for the day and I have to choose between two people who have similar value but 1 of those guys has two games on their schedule I'd take the two games every single time

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

6 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

The Oakland-Houston game has been cancelled.

Just when you thought it was safe...

Been away from media and screens all day.  Did someone on Oakland test positive?