The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

I think so. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Been away from media and screens all day.  Did someone on Oakland test positive?

Don't know if it's a player or not but this the latest

Sunday's game between the Athletics and Astros has been postponed after a member of the A's organization tested positive for COVID-19.

It's not clear at this point whether it was a player or staff member who tested positive. The A's noted in a statement that "the team conducted testing and contact tracing for the entire traveling party" and "will self-isolate in Houston with recommended safety precautions in place."

• Thanks 1

Any chance the A’s series against Seattle is cancelled?  Haven’t seen anything...

11 minutes ago, herschel said:

Any chance the A’s series against Seattle is cancelled?  Haven’t seen anything...

A's are off today so they have a day to do more tests and figure things out I imagine.

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

A's are off today so they have a day to do more tests and figure things out I imagine.

Yeah, I’m more concerned with Seattle who play one game against the angels today then have a series with the A’s.  The joys of weekly leagues....

1 hour ago, herschel said:

Yeah, I’m more concerned with Seattle who play one game against the angels today then have a series with the A’s.  The joys of weekly leagues....

Here is the answer you didn't want:

This week's series between the Athletics and Mariners, which was to take place on Tuesday and Wednesday, has been postponed for precautionary reasons.

It was announced on Sunday that a member of A's organization tested positive for COVID-19. They'll continue to self-isolate in Houston over the next couple of days to rule out any further positive tests. If all goes well, they'll resume play later this weekend against the Padres.

Source: Oakland Athletics on Twitter       Aug 31, 2020, 2:51 PM ET

• Thanks 1

Any news on the A"s next series vs padres starting tomorrow?

16 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Any news on the A"s next series vs padres starting tomorrow?

The Athletics have been officially cleared to return to the field on Friday against the Padres. 
All players outside of Daniel Mengden tested negative for COVID-19, and after missing the series against the Mariners due to a positive test from Daniel Mengden, the A's are now cleared to play against San Diego on Friday night. The Athletics will have to play a handful of doubleheaders in order to get to the 60-game total this year. 

RELATED: San Diego Padres
SOURCE: Matthew Kawahara on Twitter
Sep 3, 2020, 5:40 PM ET

The player was

Athletics placed RHP Daniel Mengden on the COVID-19 injured list.

Athletics general manager David Forst confirmed to reporters Thursday that Mengden was the player who tested positive for COVID-19 last weekend. There have been no new positives in the A's subsuquent rounds of testing, and the team is expected to resume play this Friday against the Padres. Mike Minor, acquired from the Rangers ahead of Monday's trade deadline, will fill the vacant spot on Oakland's roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Giants had a positive test. Tonight's game against San Diego was cancelled at the last minute, tomorrow is PPD too, and I'll bet they don't play Sunday either.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rhandome said:

Giants had a positive test. Tonight's game against San Diego was cancelled at the last minute, tomorrow is PPD too, and I'll bet they don't play Sunday either.

(assuming you follow the team closer than I do) - Any rumblings of who it could be? Only a handful of real core fantasy players on the squad, so hopefully none of them are affected.

1 minute ago, aapox said:

(assuming you follow the team closer than I do) - Any rumblings of who it could be? Only a handful of real core fantasy players on the squad, so hopefully none of them are affected.

Might not be a player.  Could be someone on staff.

17 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

How likely is it that Giants vs. Padres game doesn't happen on Sunday?

Very much likely given every single series has been cancelled in full when this has happened so far.  Also, again based on ALL the past episodes, the next SF series (vs Seattle) is in jeopardy too.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Very much likely given every single series has been cancelled in full when this has happened so far.  Also, again based on ALL the past episodes, the next SF series (vs Seattle) is in jeopardy too.

Yep. 100%. Need to hope, for game-playings sake, that this was just one player and there’s entirely negative tests on both sides the next 2 days. 

so sd is all good for 1st week playoffs? lamet owners now get two start week if sf series cancelled

29 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

so sd is all good for 1st week playoffs? lamet owners now get two start week if sf series cancelled

Or owners might have narrowly missed out on qualifying for the playoffs because of that missed start this week.  All about perspective. 

Hope this is the last covid post I make this year.  This is just to emphasize the point that covid can make a mess of otherwise healthy and in shape 20-something lives as well longer term.  [...] I wish E-Rod well:

Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke said Thursday that the team is hoping Eduardo Rodriguez (heart) will be cleared for a "normal-ish offseason strength program."

Rodriguez has been out all year after he developed a heart condition called myocarditis following a battle with COVID-19, but he is back in Boston now and undergoing tests to determine the next step in the rehab process. This situation will obviously be slow-played, and there might not be a clear picture about the 27-year-old left-hander's availability for 2021 until we get closer to next spring. Workload could be an issue even if he is determined to be fully healthy, as E-Rod threw zero innings in 2020 after logging 203 1/3 innings in 2019.

Source: Alex Speier on Twitter                       Sep 17, 2020, 11:08 AM ET

Edited by tonycpsu

On 9/12/2020 at 2:01 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

NOPE