The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

The NBA has the right idea of keeping all teams at one location in a camp. 

The MLB model is doomed to fail. 

• Like 3

Why is soccer in the UK going smoothly and they just finished off their season with few issues, yet baseball is having an outbreak after 3 days??

Compulsory playing with face coverings now?

1 minute ago, swfcdan said:

Why is soccer in the UK going smoothly and they just finished off their season with few issues, yet baseball is having an outbreak after 3 days??

Compulsory playing with face coverings now?

you mean all of europe and asia

• Like 2

What's interesting is that the Phillies themselves had an organizational outbreak in June.

If they have guys who test positive now things are going to get very difficult.

1 minute ago, The 7th Beatles said:
Bartolo Colon Baseball GIF by Cheezburger - Find & Share on GIPHY

Bartolo would probably be classified as a "high risk individual" in the protocol...

Also, I saw the Marlins roster BEFORE the outbreak..."fielding a representative team" shouldn't be an issue if that's what they're "representing."

• Like 1

[ Posts removed.  This thread is for discussing MLB players affected by COVID.  Take the political bickering over to Reddit or something. ]

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

The NBA has the right idea of keeping all teams at one location in a camp. 

The MLB model is doomed to fail. 

One breach of that bubble and the NBA is dead in one fell swoop.  To put ALL your eggs in one basket is probably even more dangerous.  No way a bubble will EVER remain intake.

Also baseball is played every day with a larger roster.  No way a bubble would have worked in baseball.

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

"Definitive day for the sport" is absurd overreaction. For the season, maybe. But the sport?

The implication is that this is a definitive day for baseball (for the 2020 season). I don't think the writer is suggesting that this day will have ramifications beyond this season. 

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

The implication is that this is a definitive day for baseball (for the 2020 season). I don't think the writer is suggesting that this day will have ramifications beyond this season. 

I think you're right, just caught me as odd choice of words.

28 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

One breach of that bubble and the NBA is dead in one fell swoop.  

no doubt

35 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

One breach of that bubble and the NBA is dead in one fell swoop.  To put ALL your eggs in one basket is probably even more dangerous.  No way a bubble will EVER remain intake.

Also baseball is played every day with a larger roster.  No way a bubble would have worked in baseball.

Agreed. If teams are not playing in front of fans, the best bet to play out the season with little travel was to remain at spring training facilities, eliminate interleague play and split NL and AL to one of Arizona and Florida.

That said, Arizona and Florida are considered the worst spots for Corona. So in the immortal words of Bender...

spacer.png

Aaron Gleeman from the Athletic is reporting that Mattingly and the players knew they had tested positive Friday and Saturday and that the team had a meeting Sunday morning and left it up to them whether to decide to play or not. Am I missing something here? Doesn't MLB administer these tests meaning they get the results when the Marlins get the results? How does the coach and players get to "decide" if they want to willingly expose other people to this virus? If this is true Mattingly needs to be fired yesterday.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That was fun while it lasted. :( I don't really see a scenario where the season is able to survive this. Just proves North American sports wont be back until there is a vaccine in 2021. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

Aaron Gleeman from the Athletic is reporting that Mattingly and the players knew they had tested positive Friday and Saturday and that the team had a meeting Sunday morning and left it up to them whether to decide to play or not. Am I missing something here? Doesn't MLB administer these tests meaning they get the results when the Marlins get the results? How does the coach and players get to "decide" if they want to willingly expose other people to this virus? If this is true Mattingly needs to be fired yesterday.

I really, really hope that's not true. And if it is, they need to face severe consequences and MLB needs to shut down this season. That would be extraordinarily unacceptable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

That is crazy! Also you would think with modern tech we should have instant results tests. This waiting period is absurd and completely ineffective

If true, the punishment needs to be enormous. Putting people's lives at risk is completely unacceptable. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

That is crazy! Also you would think with modern tech we should have instant results tests. This waiting period is absurd and completely ineffective

Yea and you'd think we'd have teleportation too so they can go back and undo their infections. Everything should be perfected by modern tech by now!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If Mattingly story is true it's a bigger scandal than Houston cheating or Brady deflating balls.  I can't imagine it is though - nobody can be that stupid. 

I think more likely is they knew those initial four players tested positive (and were quarantined away) and the option was given to the other players to play or not.  Ie they weren't positive, but were exposed to their teammates.   Still a terrible decision but not on the level of knowingly playing while positive as Gleeman seems to be suggesting, at least according to that snippet posted here. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I really, really hope that's not true. And if it is, they need to face severe consequences and MLB needs to shut down this season. That would be extraordinarily unacceptable. 

The question in my mind is whether they 1) broke MLB protocol or 2) there was no MLB protocol in place to begin with for what happens after a positive test. So either the team screwed up royally, or the MLB protocols are incredibly, dangerously bad.

If it's the latter I do believe there may actually be implications for the sport beyond this season. What if the players decide they don't want to keep playing amid this obviously unaddressed and potentially deadly risk? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikewastaken said:

The question in my mind is whether they 1) broke MLB protocol or 2) there was no MLB protocol in place to begin with for what happens after a positive test. So either the team screwed up royally, or the MLB protocols are incredibly, dangerously bad.

If it's the latter I do believe there may actually be implications for the sport beyond this season. What if the players decide they don't want to keep playing amid this obviously unaddressed and potentially deadly risk? 

In the latter case they would fix the problem asap.  I can't imagine though.  The liability risk alone would stop any corp or reasonable person from doing something like that.  To say nothing about what would happen if someone got sick and died as a result.  Is it possible we have one real stupid manager, GM, owner and some players....maybe, but it is hard to imagine anyone being that stupid.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

If Mattingly story is true it's a bigger scandal than Houston cheating or Brady deflating balls.  I can't imagine it is though - nobody can be that stupid. 

I think more likely is they knew those initial four players tested positive (and were quarantined away) and the option was given to the other players to play or not.  Ie they weren't positive, but were exposed to their teammates.   Still a terrible decision but not on the level of knowingly playing while positive as Gleeman seems to be suggesting, at least according to that snippet posted here. 

Yeah, if that's what happened it's a bad look, but an understandable one. If they knew those 4 those four tested positive but decided to play because they felt they hadn't been exposed, I get it. Though mlb should probably have policies in place requiring wearing of masks in all on field circumstances, but ESPECIALLY ones like that. MLB needs to fix that issue asap if it wants any hope of a season. You can't let teams vote on things like this.

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Like 1

All catchers should wear masks.  Although I can not imagine them wearing a mask in this heat with all that gear.

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

All catchers should wear masks.  Although I can not imagine them wearing a mask in this heat with all that gear.

What’s the big deal? All catchers wear masks anyway.😂

• Like 1