The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

Posted (edited)

I’m not seeing this as a crisis for the season yet.  Florida is the top Covid hot spot in the country, and there is no evidence yet of in game transmission occurring.  

Clearly individual players need to be more vigilant with their social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing to avoid clubhouse transmission, but if those outbreaks stay within the team that is why they have taxi squads...

Edited by Weekday Warrior

1 minute ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I’m not seeing this as a crisis for the season yet.  Florida is the top Covid hot spot in the country, and there is no evidence yet of in game transmission occurring.  

Clearly individual players need to be more vigilant with their social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing to avoid clubhouse transmission, but if those outbreaks stay within the team that is why they have taxi squads...

Not acting on the warning signs is why we're in this mess in the first place. You can't say oh well, nobody else on the field got infected probably so we're good. MLB can't keep dodging bullets like this and expect to not get clipped. They need to learn from this and make some adjustments. Yes, players need to be more vigilant, but there needs to be a stronger foundation of rules in place. It's harder for the virus to spread outdoors, but I'm still seeing way too many players sitting next to each other in dugouts without masks, or pulling them down as a chinstrap when batting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Not acting on the warning signs is why we're in this mess in the first place. You can't say oh well, nobody else on the field got infected probably so we're good. MLB can't keep dodging bullets like this and expect to not get clipped. They need to learn from this and make some adjustments. Yes, players need to be more vigilant, but there needs to be a stronger foundation of rules in place. It's harder for the virus to spread outdoors, but I'm still seeing way too many players sitting next to each other in dugouts without masks, or pulling them down as a chinstrap when batting.

I think it's pretty clear that the actual playing baseball part of it isn't the issue. It's what they do when they aren't playing baseball.

• Like 4

Just now, MSkibisky said:

I think it's pretty clear that the actual playing baseball part of it isn't the issue. It's what they do when they aren't playing baseball.

Rules can cover on and off field activities if they wish to play the sport. As well as locker room protocol.

1 minute ago, MSkibisky said:

Assuming everyone who has played so far showed up with a clean slate we frankly don't know if playing baseball is conducive to spread or not. But we're about to find out.

34 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Here is the article mentioned from above 

That's in direct violation of the health protocol if true.

• Like 1

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

It seems 12 of the 30 Miami players have tested positive.

Florida, man.

Sounds like one way or another, if we are to continue playing baseball about half the season for the Marlins is going to be played by minor leaguers.

They'll be quarantined, of course, then possibly suspended additionally for violating the health protocol.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sounds like one way or another, if we are to continue playing baseball about half the season for the Marlins is going to be played by minor leaguers.

They'll be quarantined, of course, then possibly suspended additionally for violating the health protocol.

Jeter is going to be sending out a lot of gift baskets in the coming days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Yeah, I spotted Ron Washington wearing his mask on his chin for 90% of the game this weekend. The really should look into fining those who don't comply. 

• Like 1

I was in the pessimist corner from the beginning we were not going to have baseball they need to cancel the season. Then boom we were playing and I was so damn happy finally I get to watch a sport I love. Now it feels like I was left at the alter my bride ran off with my best man. 

• Like 3

No disrespect to the Marlins fan out there but no one is really going to notice whether or not half the Miami lineup is minor leaguers. But if they spread it to the Phillies and then the Yanks and you start seeing contenders dropping like flies there's going to be major repercussions.

24 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

No disrespect to the Marlins fan out there but no one is really going to notice whether or not half the Miami lineup is minor leaguers. But if they spread it to the Phillies and then the Yanks and you start seeing contenders dropping like flies there's going to be major repercussions.

I was going to say the same lol.  Hell, they might find a real starter in this shakeup haha

28 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I was in the pessimist corner from the beginning we were not going to have baseball they need to cancel the season. Then boom we were playing and I was so damn happy finally I get to watch a sport I love. Now it feels like I was left at the alter my bride ran off with my best man. 

At this stage of the game it's more like she's 30 minutes late.  Things aren't great and potentially in peril but not fully crashed into the mountain yet.

• Haha 1

Is the competitive balance really that big of a deal in a season like this?  It's all an exhibition to a degree especially with the everyone gets a trophy playoff set up

They have big enough rosters to handle it plus there are plenty of FA better than half the Marlins hitters regardless

That said, the travel to every state was not the smartest idea.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused. Why are the Yankees not playing? Just for more testing? It could take up to a week to test positive, what is postponing 1 game going to do?

3 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

I'm a little confused. Why are the Yankees not playing? Just for more testing? It could take up to a week to test positive, what is postponing 1 game going to do?

The Yankees aren't playing because the Phillies are quarantining and undergoing testing, in the meantime. Testing doesn't take a week; it takes about 24 hours (at least for MLB).

2 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

The Yankees aren't playing because the Phillies are quarantining and undergoing testing, in the meantime. Testing doesn't take a week; it takes about 24 hours (at least for MLB).

Thank you for the clarification, but the week comment I made was referring to testing positive. Doesn't it take a while (a week) to test positive when you are freshly infected?

8 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Because the Phillies might have caught it from the Marlins. They will probably postpone the whole series unless the testing comes back ASAP

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That's in direct violation of the health protocol if true.

For sure.  If you're exposed to an individual that has now become Covid positive, you need to quarantine yourself.  Technically I believe for 14 days.  That would have been the entire team.  Not sure how a season is going to occur if they follow the recommendations.

2 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Thank you for the clarification, but the week comment I made was referring to testing positive. Doesn't it take a while (a week) to test positive when you are freshly infected?

I don't think you're generally very contagious if you're not testing positive, Maybe I'm wrong, but seems like it's probably not worth worrying too much about people who aren't showing symptoms or testing positive, even if they came in contact with somebody.

Way I see it, if there are a bunch of Phillies who test positive the calculus changes, but as we sit today this is primarily being viewed by Owners as a "Marlins problem" and not a "baseball problem."