The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

Good thing it’s only the Marlins.

Most — including me — wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between their major league roster and taxi squad anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Good thing it’s only the Marlins.

Most — including me — wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between their major league roster and taxi squad anyway.

The real burning fantasy question on everyone's mind: 

Hold or drop Magneuris Sierra?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I’m not seeing this as a crisis for the season yet.  Florida is the top Covid hot spot in the country, and there is no evidence yet of in game transmission occurring.  

Clearly individual players need to be more vigilant with their social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing to avoid clubhouse transmission, but if those outbreaks stay within the team that is why they have taxi squads...

Actually, it is mostly the 3 SE counties in Florida: Miami-Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach, with Miami being far and away the worst hit.  Most of the rest of the state is more or less in fair to decent shape. 

16 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

I don't think you're generally very contagious if you're not testing positive, Maybe I'm wrong, but seems like it's probably not worth worrying too much about people who aren't showing symptoms or testing positive, even if they came in contact with somebody.

The issue is the time it takes to develop symptoms. If you're not showing symptoms and are negative, who cares. If you're not showing symptoms but are positive, that's a problem. If you're currently asymptomatic but will show symptoms in the next few days, that's a problem. The point of quarantining is to help wait and see which camp you fall into. 

It seems Marlins players came into contact with positive cases and just shrugged it off and exposed themselves to others. That's a big issue, and mlb needs to make sure something like this can't happen again if they want any chance at the season finishing as planned.

This just in. Vegas odds for Miami to win the World Series just got better. 

3 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

That said, Arizona and Florida are considered the worst spots for Corona. So in the immortal words of Bender...

spacer.png

That's true but if you are living in a bubble only coming in contact with other pre screened people in that bubble it doesn't really matter what is going on outside of that campus environment as long as that campus remains untainted. The NBA has the right idea in theory. Keeping idiot people from ruining the sanctity of the campus is the real challenge (see Lou Williams strip club adventure).  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Actually, it is mostly the 3 SE counties in Florida: Miami-Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach, with Miami being far and away the worst hit.  Most of the rest of the state is more or less in fair to decent shape. 

That is more specific but the same point remains, all I am seeing so far is an outbreak with players on a team based in a hot spot, which doesn’t imperil the MLB season as a whole unless the Miami Marins can’t get a handle on it to the point where they can’t field a legal roster.

I guess we will know soon enough if in game transmission is likely happening after the Philly and Braves testing comes back, which would add to the risk of losing the MLB season, but even then I think they’d try to tighten up and enforce protocols first....

Has there been anything on the locals about which 'new' Marlins players tested positive?  Thought there would be something out by now.  As a Villar and Aguilar owner, any update is appreciated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Roger Goodell: Hold up, there's a pandemic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If I were a betting man I'd say the odds of the season getting canceled have gone up significantly. Marlins are the first domino. Only took a couple days. What happens when 3-4 teams get decimated with COVID? Pretty much game over at that point. A missed season during an era where so many potentially generational talents are on the come-up (Vladdy, LuBob, FTJ, etc) is giving me shades of those '94 feelings. That was heartbreaking in a different way, but that is maybe even a harder shot to the gut. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's hard to believe Miami will be an isolated case.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

I'm a little confused. Why are the Yankees not playing? Just for more testing? It could take up to a week to test positive, what is postponing 1 game going to do?

To add to the posts above about having to play the Phillies, who were just on the field with the Marlins the last few days and may as a result have had a few of their payers infected there, is this.  The Marlins played AT Philadelphia.  Which means the Phillies' park in general and the visitors clubhouse in particular has to be locked down and have a very VERY deep cleaning and fumigating which takes time too.  No way does any Yankee want to enter that visitors clubhouse in Philly right now.

3 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

That's true but if you are living in a bubble only coming in contact with other pre screened people in that bubble it doesn't really matter what is going on outside of that campus environment as long as that campus remains untainted. The NBA has the right idea in theory. Keeping idiot people from ruining the sanctity of the campus is the real challenge (see Lou Williams strip club adventure). 

A bubble will never ever be perfect.  The NBA was really fortunate that they caught Williams' doing what he did.  But they don't have actual covid cops physically locking these players up when not on the court nor can they do that with food providers, maintenance and janitorial staffs, security personal, delivery drivers and the endless stream of prostitutes that are always a fixture in all professional sports.  Having everyone in one so called "bubble" -- that is just a word in reality, there is NO physical bubble involved -- is having all your eggs in one basket.  Just takes one bad actor whether a player or support staff, screwing up and the "bubble" will become immediately the "giant petri dish."

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

The major problem to me is that if we believe the report the Marlins knew they were sick and somehow were able to unilaterally decide they were going to play without anyone else in the league being aware of the positive tests - teams can't be left to their own devices here.

• Like 1

I'm so pissed. And I should've knew better than to draft any fantasy teams this season.  In weekly leagues these things will really crush you.

1 hour ago, sleepysock said:

If I were a betting man I'd say the odds of the season getting canceled have gone up significantly. Marlins are the first domino. Only took a couple days. What happens when 3-4 teams get decimated with COVID? Pretty much game over at that point. A missed season during an era where so many potentially generational talents are on the come-up (Vladdy, LuBob, FTJ, etc) is giving me shades of those '94 feelings. That was heartbreaking in a different way, but that is maybe even a harder shot to the gut. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's hard to believe Miami will be an isolated case.

Barstool Bets has -700 for the season to finish and +400 for it to end early

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Barstool Bets has -700 for the season to finish and +400 for it to end early

Well I guess I'm about to become a betting man 😕

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

I'm so pissed. And I should've knew better than to draft any fantasy teams this season.  In weekly leagues these things will really crush you.

Pissed YES.. I am only playing my one dynasty and three slow drafts that started before COVID. No redraft leagues since those drafts are scheduled just before the start of the season. 

Latest Marlins re-test:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Marlins have had four more players test positive for COVID-19.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter               Jul 28, 2020, 10:03 AM ET

This is on top of the 11 already reported in the last two days.  So 15 so far.

• Like 1

Isn't the incubation period for the virus like 2-14 days with an average timeframe of 5 days? Seems like it's playing out that way as these positive cases continue to trickle in. If that's the case then Philly would NEED to self-quarantine for two weeks in case anyone exposed over the weekend ultimately tests postive over that period of time. They can't be playing in the next day or so if they test negative because the virus could still be incubating and then they are potentially exposing more players, teams, and people to the virus. If that happens then this is over.

But how the hell do you quarantine an entire team for 25% of the season? There's going to be kids who got drafted out of school a month ago playing big league games. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Marlins on their way to herd immunity. 

Marlins are fish so wouldn't that be "school immunity."  Sorry, gallows humor.

13 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

Isn't the incubation period for the virus like 2-14 days with an average timeframe of 5 days? Seems like it's playing out that way as these positive cases continue to trickle in. If that's the case then Philly would NEED to self-quarantine for two weeks in case anyone exposed over the weekend ultimately tests postive over that period of time. They can't be playing in the next day or so if they test negative because the virus could still be incubating and then they are potentially exposing more players, teams, and people to the virus. If that happens then this is over.

But how the hell do you quarantine an entire team for 25% of the season? There's going to be kids who got drafted out of school a month ago playing big league games. 

Is it really that big of a problem if minor leaguers get some playing time in a pinch? Considering MiLB is canceled.

Just now, sportsfreak2744 said:

Is it really that big of a problem if minor leaguers get some playing time in a pinch? Considering MiLB is canceled.

Considering none of those players are on the team's 40 man roster and it would require teams to DFA alot of players they definitely don't want to get rid of, it is a BIG issue.

7 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

And even if they magically suspended somehow the problems of roster sizes and service time issues that still doesn't solve the problem.

There is only a 60 man pool of players per team.  30 of these are the taxi squad.  So right now to play ball the Marlins would have to call up half of their taxi squad immediately.  And even that is a problem given that a few on it are way too young to come up to the majors including last's month player taken in the rookie draft.  They were put there not to use but to get some of their better younger prospects work this season and not retard their development a year remember.  And also a lot of the reserves were relief arms because clubs were worried about their pitchers not being stretched out much to start the season.  So the ratio on the taxi squad of position players to replace hitters that go down is pretty small.

The other members of the Miami farm system not on the taxi squad aren't eligible to play at all.  Plus they haven't put on a uniform since early April when spring training camps were shut down so even if they amended the rules on the fly AND the drag- your-heels-forever Players Association signed off on it, any of those players would have to re-start spring training all over again to even be able to take the field without popping hammies left and right or risking serious injuries to pitcher arms etc let alone having any of the pitchers stretched or hitters having any timing down from those minor leagues players.

• Thanks 1

Some for the moment at least good news for a change:

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that there have been no new positive COVID-19 cases with the Phillies in the wake of the Marlins' outbreak.

It's nice to hear, but that obviously comes with a caveat. It still might be a few days before we really know if any of them have contracted COVID-19. The first two games of the Phillies' series against the Yankees have been postponed, but the thought is that they'll resume Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. Keep your fingers crossed for everyone involved from the players to coaches to stadium attendants and hotel staff. They all need to be on our minds as MLB attempts this shortened season.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter     Jul 28, 2020, 10:40 AM ET