The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

16 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I'm so pissed. And I should've knew better than to draft any fantasy teams this season.  In weekly leagues these things will really crush you.

Everyone is in the same boat bro.  

15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

To add to the posts above about having to play the Phillies, who were just on the field with the Marlins the last few days and may as a result have had a few of their payers infected there, is this.  The Marlins played AT Philadelphia.  Which means the Phillies' park in general and the visitors clubhouse in particular has to be locked down and have a very VERY deep cleaning and fumigating which takes time too.  No way does any Yankee want to enter that visitors clubhouse in Philly right now.

A bubble will never ever be perfect.  The NBA was really fortunate that they caught Williams' doing what he did.  But they don't have actual covid cops physically locking these players up when not on the court nor can they do that with food providers, maintenance and janitorial staffs, security personal, delivery drivers and the endless stream of prostitutes that are always a fixture in all professional sports.  Having everyone in one so called "bubble" -- that is just a word in reality, there is NO physical bubble involved -- is having all your eggs in one basket.  Just takes one bad actor whether a player or support staff, screwing up and the "bubble" will become immediately the "giant petri dish."

I understand that it isn't perfect nobody has said that. Also nobody has said that this is a physical bubble either. I'm not sure where these strawman arguments are coming from. Keeping pre screened individuals restricted to a campus quarantined from the outside world (figurative bubble) is a well thought out attempt to contain the C19 problem and it gives the NBA a chance to have a successful 2020 season. It's better than what the NFL or MLB has in place. And seeing how the NBA is 1/5 the size of the NFL and only have 8 regular season games left and a 16 team playoff to be played they have a better chance at pulling it off. Logistically speaking they are probably the only major team sport organization that can attempt this. This is still just a short term fix. They won't be able to do this for the entire 2020-2021 season with all 30 teams. I have reasonable optimism that the NBA will be able to complete this short 16 team playoff. Especially considering after each Round the number of people gets sliced in half. So in theory it'll get easier and easier to keep people on the campus. Starting out (in the playoffs) it'll only be 16 teams (*240 players). Round 2 *120 players, Round 3, *60 players and then in the Finals only 30 players (*plus staff)

If it doesn't work then it doesn't work at least they tried. Letting teams continue to travel city to city, letting guys continue to go out and about with no restrictions is fine but let's not act like that's a safer option to what the NBA is doing because it isn't safer.  

8 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

If it doesn't work then it doesn't work at least they tried. Letting teams continue to travel city to city, letting guys continue to go out and about with no restrictions is fine but let's not act like that's a safer option to what the NBA is doing because it isn't safer.  

That's why I said it's what they are doing off the field that's the issue. Sport vs sport, baseball is much safer than basketball, in theory. Way more space between players, less players touching the same equipment, less breathing on each other, more distancing, etc. 

7 minutes ago, StephenCurryIsABaller said:

When will we know which players have tested positive?

Probably when the Marlins announce their lineup if they play tomorrow, or put guys on the IL. Might be simultaneous. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

I understand that it isn't perfect nobody has said that. Also nobody has said that this is a physical bubble either. I'm not sure where these strawman arguments are coming from. Keeping pre screened individuals restricted to a campus quarantined from the outside world (figurative bubble) is a well thought out attempt to contain the C19 problem and it gives the NBA a chance to have a successful 2020 season. It's better than what the NFL or MLB has in place. And seeing how the NBA is 1/5 the size of the NFL and only have 8 regular season games left and a 16 team playoff to be played they have a better chance at pulling it off. Logistically speaking they are probably the only major team sport organization that can attempt this. This is still just a short term fix. They won't be able to do this for the entire 2020-2021 season with all 30 teams. I have reasonable optimism that the NBA will be able to complete this short 16 team playoff. Especially considering after each Round the number of people gets sliced in half. So in theory it'll get easier and easier to keep people on the campus. Starting out (in the playoffs) it'll only be 16 teams (*240 players). Round 2 *120 players, Round 3, *60 players and then in the Finals only 30 players (*plus staff)

I agree the NBA could get lucky and survive this.  I just don't think they will.  But even if they do, then what as you say?  They have a short turn around time until next season where a bubble will definitely not survive for months and months at a stretch.

And we agree this NBA set-up would never have worked for baseball.  Even for a 60 game season it would not have.  The teams NEED all those baseball fields and training facilities to play and practice on.  They don't exist in a one stop location like the basketball courts in Orlando and couldn't even be theoretically built to fit that many into a theme park. 

So best case bubble scenario would have seen large chunks of Arizona and Florida becoming the huge, gigantic "bubbles" and there would have been a lot of travel and many different hotels and multiple caterers, bus and taxi drivers, grounds crew, clubhouse attendants etc etc etc added in.  Not much different than it is now playing at their home parks.  Only main difference would be the players entirely isolated from their families for two months.

And that is ignoring what each individual town and city would do with restrictions etc and the possibilities that some teams would have to shut down because of same.  Add in that those two states are not where you would want bubbles to be right now anyway.

13 minutes ago, posty said:

The Nationals voted to not to travel to Miami this weekend...

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1288142815696957441

Thanks, this is major breaking news. 

I saw that clip of Nats manager last night saying he was really afraid of this Miami situation.  Players are taking this extremely serious.  They don't buy into covid being just the sniffles for people their age and as for the manager, he has an underlying heart condition.

I wonder how agile MLB can be with schedule/work arounds going forward ? Without fans/ticket sales I'd imagine it can't be that difficult to move the games to another stadium for the time being.

3 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I wonder how agile MLB can be with schedule/work arounds going forward ? Without fans/ticket sales I'd imagine it can't be that difficult to move the games to another stadium for the time being.

Yea, but moving all those damn cardboard cutoffs..

• Haha 4

So what happens if teams refuse to travel to Miami?

An alternate playing facility like what TOR is doing seems like the logical solution

Marlins season "on pause"...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/marlins-season-paused-as-mlb-plots-scheduling-modifications.html

12:58pm: The Phillies are expected to resume action against the Blue Jays on Friday, Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer tweets.

12:52pm: The Marlins’ 2020 campaign has been “paused,” according to Craig Mish of Sports Grid (Twitter link). That development is part of an apparent effort on the part of Major League Baseball to tweak its schedule to account for the breakout of COVID-19 cases within the Miami organization.

With the Phillies also sidelined, at least for the short term, the league is left with two teams out of action. It’s considering a plan to match up those two organizations’ previously scheduled opponents — the Yankees and Orioles — in order to keep logging as many games as possible, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (Twitter link).

While the Philadelphia organization doesn’t have any new positive tests to worry about, it recently took the field against the Marlins. The Phils will also be held back for at least some time as a result, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports (Twitter links).

The idea, it seems, would be to get the Marlins and Phillies caught up on total contests later in the season. If they don’t quite make it to 60 total games, postseason qualification could still be determined by winning percentage. It isn’t clear exactly what standards the league will apply to determine when to resume action for these teams.

This on-the-fly scheduling construction is obviously fraught with difficulty. Many problems could end up being kicked down the road, particularly if the Marlins have further difficulties or the breakout turns out to have expanded to other organizations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Going to have to pull their home games from Miami as well.  It's COVID Ground Zero right now and nobody is going to want to head in there and trust the hotels, hotel staff, ball park staff etc  Maybe play at a ST site like Lakeland if they're better off right now. 

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And even if they magically suspended somehow the problems of roster sizes and service time issues that still doesn't solve the problem.

There is only a 60 man pool of players per team.  30 of these are the taxi squad.  So right now to play ball the Marlins would have to call up half of their taxi squad immediately.  And even that is a problem given that a few on it are way too young to come up to the majors including last's month player taken in the rookie draft.  They were put there not to use but to get some of their better younger prospects work this season and not retard their development a year remember.  And also a lot of the reserves were relief arms because clubs were worried about their pitchers not being stretched out much to start the season.  So the ratio on the taxi squad of position players to replace hitters that go down is pretty small.

The other members of the Miami farm system not on the taxi squad aren't eligible to play at all.  Plus they haven't put on a uniform since early April when spring training camps were shut down so even if they amended the rules on the fly AND the drag- your-heels-forever Players Association signed off on it, any of those players would have to re-start spring training all over again to even be able to take the field without popping hammies left and right or risking serious injuries to pitcher arms etc let alone having any of the pitchers stretched or hitters having any timing down from those minor leagues players.

Thanks for the really thorough answer. It seems these taxi squads aren't as much of a failsafe as I assumed them to be.

Hilarious how they can just “pause” Miami’s season, and go on with every other team. 

If it were any other team, I think the whole the league would be shut down. 😂

Miami's season has been temporarily halted until at least Monday, Aug. 3, according to Marlins reporter Craig Mish. The Phillies will be shut down until at least Friday, Tyler Kepner of the New York Times reports. MLB has not yet confirmed the news. The strongest plan, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, calls for the Marlins to be shut down for the time being so they can regroup and adjust their roster as necessary. 

----

Well from a fantasy standpoint, that hurts me in my Homers league...  I wonder how many non-Nats I have on my squad?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Hilarious how they can just “pause” Miami’s season, and go on with every other team. 
If it were any other team, I think the whole the league would be shut down. 😂

There is another team.  The Phillies are officially paused too though only through Friday so far.  But if they suddenly go from negative test results to starting to get some players testing positive as they wait out some of the incubation period since their contact with the Marlins, that could be extended.

Update:  Miami's mayor wants the Marlins to quarantine for 14 full days once they return to Miami and before they start playing at their home field again.  They may have to look for new digs to infect at this rate.  They have basically become a wandering group of lepers at this point.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)

1:45pm: In addition to the Phillies being paused through Friday and the Marlins being paused until Monday, the Orioles and Yankees are now indeed likely to play one another on Wednesday and Thursday, Sherman tweets. The Nationals, meanwhile, won’t have a game at all this weekend, since they’d been slated to play the Marlins.

(from MLB Trade Rumors)

Edited by posty

Posted (edited)

Do teams still get MLB $$ if their team is "paused"? I'm guessing yes, but maybe removing the income would be a really good way to ensure owners have systems in place for their teams. 

Edited by AnonymousRob

It is a difficult situation.   MLB is doing all they can.  At least they are trying.

• Like 3

For consistency sake, thread name should be revised to "Covid 2020 Outlook". 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Everyone is in the same boat bro.  

Ummm everyone isn't in the same boat, "bro."  Teams with high numbers of Marlins/Yanks/Phillies locked in weekly leagues are disproportionately screwed.  Even in non-weekly leagues, if you happen to have lots of players from those teams, you are taking a big hit this week that is hard to bounce back from in such a short/fluke season.

Zero Phillies tested positive.

I think this is a real learning experience.

1.) For players and managers, be more aware of your surroundings and don't think you can "tough out" Covid-19.  If you might be sick, play it safe.

2.) For fans, every positive test is not a harbinger that the season is over.  They're going to play through outbreaks confined to specific teams.

• Like 2

Friday's game between Philadelphia and Toronto is postponed...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-shuts-down-marlins-and-phillies-revises-schedule-for-nl-east-al-east-teams-amid-covid-19-outbreak/

The Phillies will be shut down until Saturday, as they have already postponed Friday's restart against Toronto. Philadelphia will instead play a doubleheader on Saturday and one game on Sunday as the designated road team at Citizens Bank Park, according to Ken Rosenthal. The Blue Jays' 2020 home venue in Buffalo won't be ready for major-league games until Aug. 11. 

I don’t know why Miami isn’t already just calling up its taxi squad and moving games to a totally new venue that isn’t in such a hot spot.

The taxis squad should be their team, and when un-infected players from the regular squad clear protocols based on their exposure they can swap them back in . ..