The Big Bat Theory

2020 COVID-19 Impacted Players & Coaches

8 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Ummm everyone isn't in the same boat, "bro."  Teams with high numbers of Marlins/Yanks/Phillies locked in weekly leagues are disproportionately screwed.  Even in non-weekly leagues, if you happen to have lots of players from those teams, you are taking a big hit this week that is hard to bounce back from in such a short/fluke season.

Same for everyone and the same as if player got hurt more or less.  Right now, the games outside of maybe those for the Marlins will likely be made up so in the long run, in a Roto environment, it would not make a lot of difference outside of those hoping to pad their stats with Marlin opponents lol.  H2H is another matter of course, but then H2h is basically a lot of luck to begin with, so it is sort of the nature of it anyway.

Personally, anyone playing H2h in this shortened season and environment is just going through a lottery draw imo, but that is me.

7 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I thought opt out players couldn't change their mind. Looks like Markakis is back now.

I guess they can 

8 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I thought opt out players couldn't change their mind. Looks like Markakis is back now.

LMAO this season is a mess and it's clear they're just winging it as they go. Going to be interesting to see if Price or others opt back in if their teams make the playoffs.

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

LMAO this season is a mess and it's clear they're just winging it as they go. Going to be interesting to see if Price or others opt back in if their teams make the playoffs.

Yeah someone in my league dropped Price thinking he was dead weight. Might be a decent NA stash if there is room.

Was it set up so high risk players opting out could opt back in? Maybe Markakis was considered high risk? 

I think that the deadline for opting out is August 1

5 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Yeah someone in my league dropped Price thinking he was dead weight. Might be a decent NA stash if there is room.

Price isn't coming back this year with what he said earlier in the week...

• Like 1

Nah they just feel like it

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Ummm everyone isn't in the same boat, "bro."  Teams with high numbers of Marlins/Yanks/Phillies locked in weekly leagues are disproportionately screwed.  Even in non-weekly leagues, if you happen to have lots of players from those teams, you are taking a big hit this week that is hard to bounce back from in such a short/fluke season.

It's like injuries like poster above said.  Any team can suffer them so it isn't unfair. 

Also the Yankees only miss 2 games since they are playing a non-scheduled 2 against the O's today and tomorrow in a schedule swapping move to free up time ot make up Phillies games later on in season were Yanks and Phillies owners get EXTRA games in some week.  The Phils are still playing three games over the weekend.  And people should have their heads examined if their team was filled with Marlins anyway.  😵  (Also never ever EVER play in weekly leagues).

2 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I don’t know why Miami isn’t already just calling up its taxi squad and moving games to a totally new venue that isn’t in such a hot spot.

The taxis squad should be their team, and when un-infected players from the regular squad clear protocols based on their exposure they can swap them back in . ..

What "venue" wants these lepers at this point.  No one wanted a healthy Jays team so who do you think wants this band of undisciplined covid carriers.

And yeah just start the service time clock on ALL the players on the taxi squad.  No problem there.

As for calling up some of the taxi squad now as emplacements when they aren't playing games and "on pause" as they termed it?  No how no way.  Marlins players on active team NOT covid positive now may still become positive because of length of incubation period and contact with fellow players that were.  They have to be quarantined and tested and re-tested every day until deemed that enough time has passed that if they are testing negative they will remain negative.

35 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Price was ripping MLB for the Marlins situation and doing a "told you so" in tweets.  No how no way he is back.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

19 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

According to this, once you opt-out, you are out...

But then there is this nugget "And the policy may yet be subject to change."

So I guess it is written in "stone" that they can't come back...  Very wet stone or maybe modeling clay...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What "venue" wants these lepers at this point.  No one wanted a healthy Jays team so who do you think wants this band of undisciplined covid carriers.

There has got to be a municipality with a stadium somewhere on the eastern seaboard that wants the money!

And yeah just start the service time clock on ALL the players on the taxi squad.  No problem there.

Fair point at least until the Super 2 coming up in a few days for prospects earmarked for a 2020 debut, but having a back up team was supposed to be the whole point of the travel squad. If there isn’t already another mechanism for teams to call up replacement players other than via the taxi squad the league needs to add one so as not penalize teams who are using it partly to keep top prospects on their development track for 2021 and beyond but not for actual 2020 use. Wow what an oversight if noone thought of that in advance.

As for calling up some of the taxi squad now as emplacements when they aren't playing games and "on pause" as they termed it?  No how no way.  Marlins players on active team NOT covid positive now may still become positive because of length of incubation period and contact with fellow players that were.  They have to be quarantined and tested and re-tested every day until deemed that enough time has passed that if they are testing negative they will remain negative.

yep agreed, that’s why I said just activate the replacement team and phase in the regulars in accordance with Covid protocols.  It’s not great for competitive balance but better than taking an entire team out of the schedule

50 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

There has got to be a municipality with a stadium somewhere on the eastern seaboard that wants the money!

Not if the mayors of those cities ever want to get re-elected.  No one anywhere wants to invite in a covid carrying gang of idiots into their community.  But if you can think of one let us know. 

And a facility has to be basically major league quality with large enough facilities for social distancing and major league lighting standards etc thus the delay of the Jays playing at their AAA venue until August.  It is the biggest capacity wise in all of the minor leagues with major league dimensions in the field and decent facilities as well.  But the lighting needs to be upgraded thus the delay.  If the modern Buffalo facility needed upgrading I doubt any other non major league park would be acceptable.

And why would the Marlins be looking for a new venue anyway?  They have a ball park.  You seem to be assuming that the outbreak in Miami in general is to blame for their team outbreak.  But rumors have it several players went "clubbing" during a stopover of the team in Atlanta and that breaking of protocols there was where it started and they spread it quickly to other teammates who then helped spread it etc etc.  IF protocols were followed anywhere the players should be fine.  The Miami ballpark itself is being maintained just fine.  It is entirely on the original handful of stupid, idiot players and there jerk actions in this case.

Passan:

The Philadelphia Phillies have canceled workouts today after a coach and clubhouse attendant tested positive for coronavirus. Activities are shut down “until further notice,” according to the team.

Oh

My

f---

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Fantasy wise this really sucks.... Harper, JT, Hoskins, Didi, Cutch, Segura, Kingery Vlad, Bo, Gurriel, Jansen & Grichuk .. That is only the hitters and then having a couple of those players on the same team. Ugh 😩 

good luck 

11 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Fantasy wise this really sucks.... Harper, JT, Hoskins, Didi, Cutch, Segura, Kingery Vlad, Bo, Gurriel, Jansen & Grichuk .. That is only the hitters and then having a couple of those players on the same team. Ugh 😩 

good luck 

I play in a league where you can only take players that have played for the team that you have...  I have the Nationals...  I'm screwed more than I already was screwed...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not if the mayors of those cities ever want to get re-elected.  No one anywhere wants to invite in a covid carrying gang of idiots into their community.  But if you can think of one let us know. 

And a facility has to be basically major league quality with large enough facilities for social distancing and major league lighting standards etc thus the delay of the Jays playing at their AAA venue until August.  It is the biggest capacity wise in all of the minor leagues with major league dimensions in the field and decent facilities as well.  But the lighting needs to be upgraded thus the delay.  If the modern Buffalo facility needed upgrading I doubt any other non major league park would be acceptable.

And why would the Marlins be looking for a new venue anyway?  They have a ball park.  You seem to be assuming that the outbreak in Miami in general is to blame for their team outbreak.  But rumors have it several players went "clubbing" during a stopover of the team in Atlanta and that breaking of protocols there was where it started and they spread it quickly to other teammates who then helped spread it etc etc.  IF protocols were followed anywhere the players should be fine.  The Miami ballpark itself is being maintained just fine.  It is entirely on the original handful of stupid, idiot players and there jerk actions in this case.

Part of the idea behind an alternate ballpark is that Miami being a hot spot probably  factors in to other teams refusing to travel and play there.  It is hard to see the same reluctance from other teams to match up with the Marlins if suddenly they were playing a whole new squad in a whole new location.

It is a bold idea but I don’t know what the real plan is to resume Marins games anytime soon.  It seems better than waiting out however many weeks it takes to have a quorum of Marlins players and staff safely emerge from quarantine.

I hope they don't shut down the season.  Even if a team plays 10 games fewer it is still baseball.  

The World Series winner won't be a true champion but it is what it is.  Who cares at this point?  We are in the middle of a pandemic.  

For entertainment purposes only.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

good luck 

Yup.  Not only that we can't even replace them on our roster without releasing them.

Luck is going to play a big part in fantasy league standing this season.