J.T. Marlin

David Njoku 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, predator_05 said:

I don't think he's 'discontent' though. This looks more like Rosenhaus' greedy spitballing; and i'm glad somebody in the media called it out: https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/rosenhaus-njoku-have-no-leverage

With just the 1 cheap year on his contract, he's in a tough spot. This article summarizes it perfectly:

I like the player, i thought he was a great prospect coming out of college.

But his drop rate of around 10% in the NFL is almost exactly what it was in college; in other words, he hasn't improved. He's not a great blocker, with rumors going around of him not 'putting in the effort'. He's been called out for this at least once.

That's not to say he can't turn things around; we've seen it before (Vernon davis, for example). Most tight-ends take a few years to learn the position, and 'break out' in their mid 20s. He still has a learning curve, but he'll need a supportive environment.

You don't find a supportive environment when you're trying to force your way out at short notice....even moreso, when you do it on the recommendation of some shady, scumbag of an agent.

He should stay in Cleveland, he's got a new coaching staff and the offense is much better than whatever he'll find elsewhere.

This is good stuff. I think the most likely scenario is that he stays in Cleveland, however, I think the chances that he forces his way out of Cleveland are significantly higher than they were a few days ago. 

The drop rate doesn't concern me all that much. Terrell Owens was a dropaholic but his athleticism and talent far outweighed that issue--I feel this way about Njoku. 

I don't think it would be the worst situation for him to stay in Cleveland. He would probably post high efficiency numbers and still be in a decent spot to secure a second contract from a TE needy team. As far as you thinking Cleveland is a much better situation than he'll find elsewhere, that is just a silly comment. I don't think he cares all that much about being in the "best offense", rather he is looking for a larger opportunity share in an offense. I think just about any other team that is in need of a TE would be a better situation for him individually. Washington, Jacksonville, Green Bay, New England, Cincy, Houston and Arizona would all provide him the chance to be the clear cut starting TE.

Posted (edited)

Anything to see here? About to come off IR and seems like he was having a nice game 1, before leaving in the 3rd quarter. Hooper is there but he was out-producing Hooper in week 1. Still probably be a platoon situation with Bryant there as well and annoying for fantasy. My TE situation sucks so I'm dumpster diving, and that sadly brings me here.

Edited by owenmills

51 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Anything to see here? About to come off IR and seems like he was having a nice game 1, before leaving in the 3rd quarter. Hooper is there but he was out-producing Hooper in week 1. Still probably be a platoon situation with Bryant there as well and annoying for fantasy. My TE situation sucks so I'm dumpster diving, and that sadly brings me here.

Surely there has to be someone better. Njoku needs to get traded if he's ever going to breakout. 

Any news on Njoku being Traded before deadline? Exceptional athlete with too few opportunities over the past few years. His injuries & now Hooper in town along with a Rookie TE stealing snaps. Browns fans any insight to share on local beat writers in respect to Njoku Trade rumors is greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Lambfordinner said:

Any news on Njoku being Traded before deadline? Exceptional athlete with too few opportunities over the past few years. His injuries & now Hooper in town along with a Rookie TE stealing snaps. Browns fans any insight to share on local beat writers in respect to Njoku Trade rumors is greatly appreciated.

Browns fan here, he's definitely available in my opinion, Browns need help at LB and at safety, 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Topgun said:

Browns fan here, he's definitely available in my opinion, Browns need help at LB and at safety, 

Thanks for the opinion, much appreciated. Grab him now his future looks bright!

Maybe the target share/production we saw week 1, was what Cleveland wanted to begin with, once they saw AH in camp? Hooper may have produced last week, but otherwise has been quite :meh:

Trade would be a verrry interesting prospect, and impact his current value immensely. 

2 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Maybe the target share/production we saw week 1, was what Cleveland wanted to begin with, once they saw AH in camp? Hooper may have produced last week, but otherwise has been quite :meh:

Trade would be a verrry interesting prospect, and impact his current value immensely. 

Where would be a good landing spot?

Edited by Thrill22

33 minutes ago, Thrill22 said:

Cards. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, Thrill22 said:

On 10/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, BGDDYKWL said:

Cards. 

Bingo! Njoku + Kyle Murray 🤞

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, Thrill22 said:

pats love their tight ends, need weapons and izzo has not been getting the job done.

• Like 1

He may be in the shop window this week with Hooper out.  Watch this space.

With Hooper out the next week or two and the potential for a trade he'd definitely be someone I grabbed if I needed help at TE. 

44 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

He may be in the shop window this week with Hooper out.  Watch this space.

• Browns TE Austin Hooper (appendicitis) could miss the team's Week 8 game against the Raiders as well as Week 7 against the Bengals. 

Hooper was been declared out for this week after undergoing surgery for appendicitis today. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Hooper is no sure thing for the team's Week 8 game against Vegas. David Njoku has run more pass routes than Harrison Bryant since Njoku returned to the Browns' lineup two week ago, and has one more target than Bryant over that stretch. We could see a fairly even split between Bryant and Njoku with Hooper out, but Njoku makes for the slightly more preferable waiver wire add for fantasy players in deep leagues and tight end premium formats. 

Oct 23, 2020, 1:13 PM ET
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Njoku could be interviewing with his play for change of Team this week!
Edited by Lambfordinner
Grammar

This guy has been such a headcase/drama magnet for a couple years that we forget that in his second season (way ahead of when TEs usually pop), Njoku was TE9 for the season, catching 56 balls for 639 yards and 4 TDs.  (He finished a little more than one TD out of the TE7 spot.  4 TDs is a pretty unlucky total for a TE with 56 catches.  Then again, he was playing for the Browns, so what do you expect?)

• Like 1

Potential for the Browns to really showcase him the next week or two to fetch value in a trade?

• Like 1