Sign in to follow this  
KingJoffrey

Matt Kemp 2020 Outlook

Looks like Kemp signed with the Rockies.  Interesting late round flyer as long as he gets 30 games at Coors.  If they end up playing in Arizona, that would ruin his comeback chances.  He will probably be the DH. Of course he will probably get injured.

Interestingly , the latest signings and acquisitions of the Rockies haven’t really planned out - Desmond and Murphy. I thought for sure Murphy would hit like crazy but deal with injuries.

Not sure there is any guarantee that Kemp is anointed the DH.  It was a decent signing, probably just to see if he has anything left, if not they let him go.  For sure, he could get some ABs and run with the job, I just don't think we are anywhere close to that yet.

I don't think Kemp will be a factor this. year. I wouldn't want him as a late rounder flier unless it was a super deep and probably daily league. 

Daniel Murphy was a disappointment, but I think he might rebound a little. Age and injuries def catching up, but I think there's some value in him in drafts.

Murphy makes more sense as an every day DH to me. Gives room on the IF for McMahon or Hampson or Rodgers. 

Kemp could occasionally DH or be a 4th/5th OF, but it doesn't seem like he has much gas left in the tank. 

That said, this would be a "logical" way to do it, which is likely not the "Rockies" way of doing it. 

• Like 1

The Rockies are rather left-handed heavy with Dahl, Murphy, McMahon, Hilliard, Tapia, and Wolters. I think they brought him in to dh regularly against lefties. If he surprises, he could probably get the everyday dh job. He did have a 122wRC+ in 2018 and has a career OPS > 1.000 at Coors Field. There are worse deep league bench flyers, imo.

Posted (edited)
  • So far looking great as the DH. Had an RBI single opening weekend, then a 2 R double, HR, HR in 3 consecutive games. 2 years removed from a 20+ HR season, playing in coors likely in favorable split scenarios, taking full advantage of the DH rule. 

Obviously, depending on your league format, 15-20 prorated HRs may interest you more or less, but in deep formats given that he was literally a last round pick in my NL only league, I think you could do much worse. 

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cyberer said:
  • So far looking great as the DH. Had an RBI single opening weekend, then a 2 R double, HR, HR in 3 consecutive games. 2 years removed from a 20+ HR season, playing in coors likely in favorable split scenarios, taking full advantage of the DH rule. 

Obviously, depending on your league format, 15-20 HRs may interest you more or less, but in deep formats given that he was literally a last round pick in my NL only league, I think you could do much worse. 

I mentioned it in the game day thread, but I’ve added him everywhere. I think he’s mixed league relevant now (not 10 team, 3 outfielder leagues though). His next 2 weeks look really juicy. Starting Monday, they’ve got 4 games at Coors against the Giants crappy pitching. They follow that up with 3 games at Seattle and their awful pitching staff. The following week they’re back home at Coors for 6 home games (3 vs Arizona and 3 vs Texas). He hasn’t been the everyday DH yet, but I think he’s just earned that role after this weekend.

• Like 1

In the lineup again tonight @ DH. It's happening!