BrianM

Better Target: Mike Evans or Chris Godwin?

Better Target: Mike Evans or Chris Godwin?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. At the current market rate, who do you like better in PPR drafts?

• Mike Evans
    • Chris Godwin
    • I like them both
    • I think both are overpriced

Godwin. Have him ranked around 15 overall and Evans is roughly 10-15 spots back in half PPR. 

I’m really not that high on Evans. Brady is obviously better than Winston but Winston is gold for fantasy. Dude put up 5k yards last year. With Brady I’d say you’re looking at around 4,400 with similar TDs. That’s 700 yards less than last season.

Godwins saving grace is Brady loves the slot.  Something like 110/1,200/6-8 isn’t out of the question. I see Evans being more around 75/1050/8-10. The upside with Evans is if Gronk is useless (which isn’t that much of a stretch) and he builds that RZ connection with Brady with his size like some others have and drops like 16 TDs.

• Like 2

Godwin. Less garbage time in years past for both guys to eat. Evans wont hit 1k for the first time in his career.

If you must draft one.....Evans.  he’s the more talented and primary target.  Everywhere the guy goes...targets follow in bunches.  

Godwin will fall into the big pile of split targets over the middle-  with Gronk, Brate, and the rbs.   possibly the most overdrafted wr on the board currently.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Evans - always take the cheaper one at ADP if players of equal or greater skill...Evans is a top 5-10 specimen at the WR position. 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, BrianM said:

I've done threads like this often here and never once has one been moved.   It's not assistant coach, ie who should I draft- its a pure outlook discussion.  It doesn't differ much from WR rankings or zero RB strategy IMO.   

Honestly i still dont know how i feel about both players and felt this was the best way to corral a discussion on the pair, rather than back and forthing on two individual player threads.   

I'm Evans all day. 

Historically better player and he comes cheaper. Sign me up. 

He's gonna be Mossing people in the end zone. 

Edited by tonycpsu

Evans.

Longer history of performance, more physically gifted, more RZ targets even though Godwin's breakout year was last year.

Evans easily. He's always been the #1 WR for TB ever since he entered the NFL. And that won't change. 

Currently Godwin is around pick 19 in PPR and Evans is 24 (WR6 and WR9). That's close enough to me. I mean if Godwin slides to 24 that's still fine and if Evans is picked at 19 that's not a reach.

Last season Evans had 113 targets in 13 games and Godwin 121 in 14 games. Again, that's pretty equal. 

Both Yahoo and ESPN project Evans and Godwin solidly in the top-8 WRs (Godwin even in the top-4). To me that's quite optimistic; I think there's a huge hype because of Brady, but I don't really see that. However, WR6/WR9 is believable. One thing to consider is that Brady last season actually aired it out a bit less than Tampa, _and_ they have more weapons, so it's not a given both can again get 10 targets per game, but if they do, both have sufficient talent to perform well. Also, you could argue Brady hasn't had weapons like Evans/Godwin recently, and that's fair too.

All in all it will really depend on how well Brady clicks with either of them (and whether the old man falls of any cliffs). I think Godwin has still more growth potential, so I don't have a problem with him going a bit earlier; I think WR8 is fair for both with sufficient room for upside, and still a fine price if the season doesn't work out. I think they're both reasonably priced.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:08 AM, Impreza178 said:

If you must draft one.....Evans.  he’s the more talented and primary target.  Everywhere the guy goes...targets follow in bunches.  

Godwin will fall into the big pile of split targets over the middle-  with Gronk, Brate, and the rbs.   possibly the most overdrafted wr on the board currently.  

What's your basis for this?  They were almost equal in targets per game.   And by most metrics, Godwin is the more talented receiver.

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

What's your basis for this?  They were almost equal in targets per game.   And by most metrics, Godwin is the more talented receiver.

Which metrics?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Which metrics?

The ones that playerprofiler.com reports.,

Also based on Reception Perception's data.

Edited by K197040

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

The ones that playerprofiler.com reports.,

Also based on Reception Perception's data.

You only really have 1 year to compare them against. Evans also had better stats his first 3 years than godwin.

I liked both with winston but im not too sure with brady. My guess is that both will produce less.

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

You only really have 1 year to compare them against. Evans also had better stats his first 3 years than godwin.

I liked both with winston but im not too sure with brady. My guess is that both will produce less.

I know.  It's a small sample size.  I think they're both great.  But I owned Godwin last season and Winston so I saw a lot of Bucs games.   Stats aside, Godwin just looks like a better WR to me.   Even assuming they get the exact same amount of targets, I think Godwin's YAC make him the preferred WR to have.   Not taking into account draft position.

• Like 1