croikee

Off Season Keeper Format

Hey all!  I'm commissioner of 1st year keeper league, meaning we just had our first season this past fall.  This is the first off season for us, 3 keeper max .5 ppr league.  I'm curious how those of you experienced in keeper leagues have the off season set up?  We did a league vote to set keepers one week before the draft (which is a week before the season starts).  Therefore, we've turned off all transactions/trades etc. until keepers are announced.  The logic here is that why be able to trade players that you never planned to keep as they are technically not yours anymore.  

But I hear that some keeper leagues are active in the off season.  If so, when do you select your keepers and do you just allow transactions on your entire team up until then?  

Thanks!

6 hours ago, croikee said:

Therefore, we've turned off all transactions/trades etc. until keepers are announced.  The logic here is that why be able to trade players that you never planned to keep as they are technically not yours anymore.

In some leagues, trading these players so you can have the best keepers is actually part of the fun.

Say you have 4 or 5 players who should easily go in the first 3 rounds; player B has Christian McCaffrey and a bunch of JAGs. You can then trade 2 for 1 or 3 for one and you both gain; he has 3 proper keepers, you get the best player in the league.

More trading means more fun. However, in some cases it can also create some resentment, so you better hope everyone can be an adult about it.

In any case, that's something for next season, you can't suddenly enable it now, I think. You will need to have everyone on board on this.

Btw in the main forum there's a Commissioner's corner where you can also ask these things and experienced commissioners can help you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

In some leagues, trading these players so you can have the best keepers is actually part of the fun.

This. 

My league is like yours: draft a week before the season, keepers due the week before that. But we can trade for the month before that.  It adds to the strategy.

For example, my league mates watched me trade for Murray last year, so they probably know I won’t keep Rodgers.  I’ll take a mid-round pick for him, which is less than he’ll cost in the draft (we have lots of keepers).  So someone can get him for lower than draft cost, and I’m just happy to get something in exchange.

I say trade away!

• Like 1

Yeah trading in keeper leagues is the way to go. As said above. Theres usually trades guys can make to upgrade keepers always. Guy has 4 keepers, trades a 2 for 1 to upgrade his 3rd to a guy who has 1 stud and 2 decent keepers. Win-win.