Sign in to follow this  
cashvillesent

Is it fair to place Shaq as top 5 of all time?

Ive been working with  bunch of homer Lakers fan at my job site. Majority of them put KAJ as the 2nd best of all time behind Mike, wich is fair... but then they say Shaq is also a top 5 of all time.

What are your thoughts? I think its pretty absurd to place him there.

Shaq was dominate in his prime. He just didn't dominate at the end of his career. Probably played 4-5 seasons too many. He also could have dominated way more had he not been such a slap dick during the off season and early parts of the season. Thats why I don't think he belongs in the top 5. He could have easily been a top 5 all time player if he had wanted to be. So in terms of prime ability I could see the argument. 

Jordan, Kareem and Russell are mandatory top 5 IMO. Then there are another handful or so that could fill out the 4-5 spot. Lebron, Wilt, Magic, Kobe, Duncan, Bird, Shaq West, Robertson etc. 

1 hour ago, cashvillesent said:

Ive been working with  bunch of homer Lakers fan at my job site. Majority of them put KAJ as the 2nd best of all time behind Mike, wich is fair... but then they say Shaq is also a top 5 of all time.

What are your thoughts? I think its pretty absurd to place him there.

Shaq was dominate in his prime. He just didn't dominate at the end of his career. Probably played 4-5 seasons too many. He also could have dominated way more had he not been such a slap dick during the off season and early parts of the season. Thats why I don't think he belongs in the top 5. He could have easily been a top 5 all time player if he had wanted to be. So in terms of prime ability I could see the argument. 

Jordan, Kareem and Russell are mandatory top 5 IMO. Then there are another handful or so that could fill out the 4-5 spot. Lebron, Wilt, Magic, Kobe, Duncan, Bird, Shaq West, Robertson etc. 

It's arguable especially if looking at peak over anything else. I wouldn't have it though

I also definitely don't have Russell anywhere near top 5 though

Bird, Lebron, Magic, Duncan, Wilt over him easily

Hakeem should be on that list too over Went and Robertson--maybe even over Russell

In an era of dominant big men he was the best and dragged a pretty pedestrian 94 Rockets team to a chip

Shaq is probably 7-9 range for me