Sidearmer

2020 July Closer Thread

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-closer-depth-chart/

The above list looks pretty good to me. Chapman and Gallegos look shaky with COVID, those are the only changes I see.

Credit to @metropolitans for idea on starting this thread. To think we missed out on the craziness of the March / April Closer's thread makes me sad. Hopefully we get enough action in July!

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-closer-depth-chart/

The above list looks pretty good to me. Chapman and Gallegos look shaky with COVID, those are the only changes I see.

Credit to @metropolitans for idea on starting this thread. To think we missed out on the craziness of the March / April Closer's thread makes me sad. Hopefully we get enough action in July!

Everyone picked up Helsley in all my leagues already since the manager mentioned him as a possibility a few days back so he is a clear darkhorse for St Louis closer now with Hicks opting out.

Who's the Cardinals closer now with Jordan Hicks out for the season?  

Probably Helsley

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Probably Helsley

Not Martinez?  

In the rotation at least for me

I nabbed Helsley in my deep leagues and auctions back in early March, he has always been my best bet/darkhorse for the gig...those leagues also count (or counted) holds...but he has an easy 100 MPH heater and good enough secondaries to run with the closer role.

• Like 3

Nick Burdi getting chatter as Pirates closer if Kela remains MIA etc.

I can see Duffey being the main setup guy in MIN. He's better than Romo and May imo

4 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Not Martinez?  

Only if Martinez is cut from the starting rotation.  Helsley for me and I hope St Louis agree.

From an STL Post Dispatch story today:

-- Asked if Hicks’ opt out increases the chance Martinez becomes the closer to begin the season, Mozeliak said that discussion remains, “very fluid.” --

I've added Helsley in a couple leagues where I need to speculate. But we haven't gotten much from the Cardinals to tip their hand, other than Mozeliak mentioning Helsley first when talking about the closer possibilities before Martinez got to work. The Cardinals beat reporters in recent online chats seemed to think Martinez likely winds up in the bullpen because of the new circumstances and his late arrival to camp, but no one on the team has publicly stated what they're planning with him. In spring training he was headed toward starting, and he still wants to start and Shildt said earlier this year that he's earned the opportunity. So, who knows at this point? Maybe we'll see if they stretch Martinez out more in his next intrasquad outing (he threw 2 IP with 28 pitches In his first). Have to figure it's either Helsley or Martinez for the bulk of chances depending on their plans for Carlos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Only if Martinez is cut from the starting rotation.  Helsley for me and I hope St Louis agree.

I think Martinez is the favourite to be the closer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Agreed, he did well lastyr & he reported too late to camp to be stretched out. My guess is they open the season with Cmart as closer, he's a veteran & reliable in that role

I doubt it. They need him in the rotation 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Is Britton in line to receive early season save ops with Aroldis out with COVID?

Yes

8 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

He would be pissed it that happens.  He was basically promised a good shot at the rotation this season and wants to be a starter big time.  If he can't be stretched out to 5 innings initially he could function as an opener the first few games until he can.

53 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He would be pissed it that happens.  He was basically promised a good shot at the rotation this season and wants to be a starter big time.  If he can't be stretched out to 5 innings initially he could function as an opener the first few games until he can.

Why would he be an opener not a closer?  There hasn't be any chatter or hints at that and he's succeeded closing before.  I love Helsey too but it's naive to think Martinez won't be closing in some capacity if he's not in the rotation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Why would he be an opener not a closer?  There hasn't be any chatter or hints at that and he's succeeded closing before.  I love Helsey too but it's naive to think Martinez won't be closing in some capacity if he's not in the rotation.

An opener going 2 to 4 innings would be a way to build up his innings while still playing since he arrived in camp late.  Just a temp thing until he is stretched enough to go 5 or 6.  If he just closes he won't ever get stretched out this season.

And a lot of starters will probably just go 3 or 4 innings first or second time out because of the truncated training period.  Maybe they won't officially call them "openers" but that is how they will basically function the first few weeks.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

An opener going 2 to 4 innings would be a way to build up his innings while still playing since he arrived in camp late.  Just a temp thing until he is stretched enough to go 5 or 6.  If he just closes he won't ever get stretched out this season.

And a lot of starters will probably just go 3 or 4 innings first or second time out because of the truncated training period.  Maybe they won't officially call them "openers" but that is how they will basically function the first few weeks.

He's already been stretched out before arriving to camp.  You're right that he wants to start.  And he deserves the chance to.  But if the team wants him to close he will. It's as simple as that:

"Martinez is the only one of the Cardinals’ six potential starters who has a 90.6 percent save percentage in 32 opportunities over the past two seasons. He’s one of just four pitchers in the game who have a 90-plus save percentage over 30-plus save opportunities since 2018. He’s been there and done that, and he’s entering a season in which a locked-in closer could be as valuable as a strong starter."

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-shortened-season-bullpen-setbacks-could-make-martinez-more-valuable-as-cardinals-closer/article_dcdf3ae5-dc3f-5f5e-8091-33cca9e9669e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Edited by Magoo

35 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Anyone like burdi in Pittsburg since kela has yet to show up, or someone else?

Chatter for him but Crick still likely to get first shot.  Feliz a darkhorse too

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Chatter for him but Crick still likely to get first shot.  Feliz a darkhorse too

have seen crick reports as well.  He was very solid in 2018 but an absolute era and whip KILLER last season.  Of course  it’s hard to get a read on burdi also given his injury last year and minimal big league experience 

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992