Sidearmer

2020 July Closer Thread

6 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

They wanted to win so they stayed with Lugo who came in with 2 outs in the 8th. Hadnt pitched since Friday so was fresh.

I watched the game and I don't think they were planning on using any of their main guys since they were up 7-2 going into the inning, but when they were forced to bring into Lugo to put out the fire they figured why not give him the ninth instead of just using him for one batter.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

Just assuming, but would bet that they stick with Lugo as closer in most games going forward. He's just the better reliever between the two. 

I don't disagree that he is the better reliever right now between the two but that doesn't necessarily mean he should be the closer. Just my opinion, but I think their bullpen works better with Lugo able to work multiple innings as a bridge / fireman type and Diaz as closer rather than vice versa. And I doubt they would bail on Diaz after one blown save. He was one strike away from being 2-for-2 in opps.

I hear ya. What I was more hinting at was that we see more of Lugo down the line in save situations as well as Diaz. Diaz has a short leash in my opinion after last year's performance and a few more of those blown saves and I think we see him relegated for the remainder of this year. Or at least that's the hope as a mets fan. :)

22 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

They wanted to win so they stayed with Lugo who came in with 2 outs in the 8th. Hadnt pitched since Friday so was fresh.

This was funny even though I'm an Edwin Diaz owner.

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Bass, Gott, Hudson, Burdi, Drake, Holland 

(I lean skills over roll which may explain my rankings.)

Burdi is the only one with the hardest road to saves by my goodness does he look good.

these rankings of yours are definately not SKILLS over ROLES..lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

these rankings of yours are definately not SKILLS over ROLES..lol

Touché. I do like Bass’ skill improvement but point taken on Hudson

Holland is still trash

Haha I think pretty much every team is gonna use a closer by committee this year

Feliz imploding for the Pirates with a 5-1 lead and Crick is warming up. Think they might have got him up too late though....

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Feliz imploding for the Pirates with a 5-1 lead and Crick is warming up. Think they might have got him up too late though....

They are bringing in Crick for the one-out save with tying run on second....

Pirates don't go to their best reliever and they blow a 4-run lead in the 9th. Hate to see it

Feliz and Crick combining to blow a 4-run lead. Mostly Feliz. Looking better for Burdi.

I love to see it as a new Burdi owner 😁

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

They are bringing in Crick for the one-out save with tying run on second....

Crick gives up the tying two-run single to Braun, and Burdi owners rejoice. Honestly though, terrible managing letting Feliz go as long as they did.

• Like 3

Meanwhile, Kimbrel making it an adventure so far. Two walks and a wild pitch sandwiched around the first out.

7 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Meanwhile, Kimbrel making it an adventure so far. Two walks and a wild pitch sandwiched around the first out.

Oh my. He's a trainwreck right now.

Absolute implosion by Kimbrel. Four walks, wild pitch, hit batter. Going to Jeffress now.

7 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Oh my. He's a trainwreck right now.

Right now?

Good grief I’m beginning to hate closers. Lol. 

17 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Crick gives up the tying two-run single to Braun, and Burdi owners rejoice. Honestly though, terrible managing letting Feliz go as long as they did.

Kela will get the job back as soon as he returns. Love Burdi though.

So, who's the next man up for the Cubbies if Kimbrel loses his job...   Wick or Ryan?

2 minutes ago, TheChamp said:

So, who's the next man up for the Cubbies if Kimbrel loses his job...   Wick or Ryan?

looks like jeffress