Sidearmer

2020 July Closer Thread

2 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Kela will get the job back as soon as he returns. Love Burdi though.

Probably, but info on Kela's status has been pretty scarce. Surprised Burdi didn't get the 10th tonight though. Some cat named Neverauskas instead

4 minutes ago, TheChamp said:

So, who's the next man up for the Cubbies if Kimbrel loses his job...   Wick or Ryan?

I would have thought Wick entering the night but they curiously used him in the sixth tonight in a what was then a blowout.

2 minutes ago, street sharks said:

looks like jeffress

Meh, 5 ERA last year, I'll pass on that walking disaster, feel like Wick should be the guy, but a lot of people thought that last year as well.... and nothing.  lol 

4 minutes ago, street sharks said:

looks like jeffress

But Wick had already pitched. The question is if things would have been different if Wick was available. I don’t trust Jeffress, however. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Absolute implosion by Kimbrel. Four walks, wild pitch, hit batter. Going to Jeffress now.

Maybe Kimbrel shouldn't have shaved the beard.  He doesn't look as intimidating.  Control problems for a closer?  Might as well stick a fork in him.

• Like 1

Final observation on Burdi -- Pirates not using him in either the 10th or 11th tonight makes me think with a history of arm trouble they don't want to pitch him back-to-back games early in the season, or maybe at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JameisofThrones said:

Final observation on Burdi -- Pirates not using him in either the 10th or 11th tonight makes me think with a history of arm trouble they don't want to pitch him back-to-back games early in the season, or maybe at all.

Exactly what I was thinking. He had to have been unavailable after pitching yesterday.

2 hours ago, CooL said:

Maybe Kimbrel shouldn't have shaved the beard.  He doesn't look as intimidating.  Control problems for a closer?  Might as well stick a fork in him.

He was not good last year after sitting out.  Should not come as a surprise really.  The only thing surprising is how quickly he lost it at age 31-32.

9 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

He was not good last year after sitting out.  Should not come as a surprise really.  The only thing surprising is how quickly he lost it at age 31-32.

He wasn't good the last year with the Red Sox.  He couldn't blow batters away like he used to do.  You couldn't trust him in big situations.  Chris Sale was brought in instead of Kimbrel to close out the 7th game of the World Series.  He wasn't even warming up in the bullpen because the team lost all trust in him by then.  The writing was on the wall back then.

43 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He wasn't good the last year with the Red Sox.  He couldn't blow batters away like he used to do.  You couldn't trust him in big situations.  Chris Sale was brought in instead of Kimbrel to close out the 7th game of the World Series.  He wasn't even warming up in the bullpen because the team lost all trust in him by then.  The writing was on the wall back then.

That may be true, but he did finish 2018 with a sub-3 ERA, .99 WHIP, 96K in 62.1 IPs with 42 saves, so the season was on the whole good and you could debate whether he just wore out or whether his arm was falling off. If you break down his splits by month for 2018, you find he basically fell off sharply in Aug and Sept (like a lot of relievers tend to do).  He was used pretty heavily pre-AS game as well with 41 appearances.  He obviously was not the pitcher he was in prior years, but who knows how much of it was age related and how much of it might have been a lot of high leverage appearance catching up to him.   Clearly though, the time off did not help as he has been brutal since returning.  There have been a number of closers historically that have had great runs and then suddenly fall off a cliff.  The ones that last a very long time like Rivera and Hoffman are the exceptions to the rule. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

4 hours ago, Caelum said:

Exactly what I was thinking. He had to have been unavailable after pitching yesterday.

Yep

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Lugo comes in to get the last out of the eighth in a 7-4 game and looks like they are going to try to let him finish it....

Didn't Lugo have to pitch to at least two batters in the 9th by the new rule?  Bringing in Diaz for 1 out in the 9th would make little sense.

The above is when he came out for the 9th otherwise by getting the last out in the 8th he satisfied the new rule.

I think the majority of you are writing Kimbrel off wayyyyyyyyyyyy too soon after one bad outing. It happens, and I'm almost willing to write off his struggles last season because of the hold out. I'm going to need to see a bit more before I'm ready to put him out to pasture. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I think the majority of you are writing Kimbrel off wayyyyyyyyyyyy too soon after one bad outing. It happens, and I'm almost willing to write off his struggles last season because of the hold out. I'm going to need to see a bit more before I'm ready to put him out to pasture. 

It wasn’t just a bad outing, the guy couldn’t throw a strike. Maybe he has a longer leash than some here are anticipating but he looked awful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlbnfl said:

It wasn’t just a bad outing, the guy couldn’t throw a strike. Maybe he has a longer leash than some here are anticipating but he looked awful. 

So you're dropping him? Because that's the level of panic in this thread. If everyone truly believes what they're writing then they should drop him now. 

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So you're dropping him? Because that's the level of panic in this thread. If everyone truly believes what they're writing then they should drop him now. 

Well, I don’t own him nor would I drop him before it’s shown that someone else comes in during the next save opp. But I don’t think anyone should be shocked if that happens. 

6 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Welcome to the closer thread.  Make yourself comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

I would have thought Wick entering the night but they curiously used him in the sixth tonight in a what was then a blowout.

He hadn’t pitched yet, that’s just a matter of getting him some action to stay sharp. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Didn't Lugo have to pitch to at least two batters in the 9th by the new rule?  Bringing in Diaz for 1 out in the 9th would make little sense.

No he didn't.  If a reliever ENDS an inning in came into with less than facing 3 players then that is okay to make a change with the start of the next inning. 

And why?  Because the intent of the rule was to help speed up the game and stop endless pitching changes stalling out the game which they do when made in the middle of the inning.  But the speed isn't effected by whoever comes out starting the next inning. 

Thus the rule says a reliever must face a minimum of at least the first three batters he faces once brought into an inning  or at least finish up the inning he was brought into.  Either requirement met satisfies the new rule.

So the new rule had nothing to do with Lugo coming out again in the 9th.  That was just the manager's choice to use him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ryno1980 said:

He hadn’t pitched yet, that’s just a matter of getting him some action to stay sharp. 

The Red Sox probably should have done this with Workman last night. Still yet to get into a game. I'd expect him to go tonight whether they are getting pounded or not.

• Like 1

It’s not like Kimbrel was great last year either. He was awful last year and then starts out awful on a team with realistic playoff hopes.  If you drafted him, don’t drop him but keep him on the kiddie table.. make sure he has 1 good outing before you leave him out there.

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

7 hours ago, secretagentman said:

That may be true, but he did finish 2018 with a sub-3 ERA, .99 WHIP, 96K in 62.1 IPs with 42 saves, so the season was on the whole good and you could debate whether he just wore out or whether his arm was falling off. If you break down his splits by month for 2018, you find he basically fell off sharply in Aug and Sept (like a lot of relievers tend to do).  He was used pretty heavily pre-AS game as well with 41 appearances.  He obviously was not the pitcher he was in prior years, but who knows how much of it was age related and how much of it might have been a lot of high leverage appearance catching up to him.   Clearly though, the time off did not help as he has been brutal since returning.  There have been a number of closers historically that have had great runs and then suddenly fall off a cliff.  The ones that last a very long time like Rivera and Hoffman are the exceptions to the rule. 

About the Decline and Fall of Craig Kimbrel:  Yeah I should have gone into more detail.  I agree his actual stats only stunk to high heaven in the last part of 2018.  But the signs were there much earlier.  When he did get batters out pre-August that year he often had to throw any number of extra pitches because the first sign he was on a steep decline was when batters who eventually he did get out weren't blown out with his fastball right away.  They couldn't straightened it out quite yet in early 2018 but they could foul off pitch after pitch after pitch leading to some pretty deep counts at times before they missed one.  It was clear to anyone watching that it was only a matter of time before those foul balls turned fair.

Quick covid questions... 

Who returns first? 

Will Smith, Alanta? 

Or keone kela, pittisburgh? 

Who has the path to closing quicker once in? 

24 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Quick covid questions... 

Who returns first? 

Will Smith, Alanta? 

Or keone kela, pittisburgh? 

Who has the path to closing quicker once in? 

I'm not sure which one comes back first, but I'd think Kela would have the quicker path once in. I'd assume the job is his as soon as he steps back on the field in Pittsburgh. Smith might have wait a few outings, depending on Melancon. It's possible both step right into the closer job once they rejoin their teams, but I'd say Kela has the stronger probability to do so.