Sidearmer

2020 July Closer Thread

Although Drake blew a save and lost yesterday, it was not a bad outing. He came on with 1st and 3rd and 1 out I think. He K'ed Acuna looking and then Albies chopped one to second. The 2B rushed the play due to runner speed and couldn't hold on to the ball. Then Freeman put on a defensive swing and poked a soft liner into CF. Wasn't hit hard at all.

Looks to me like he has a deceptive delivery and pretty good pitch movement.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Although Drake blew a save and lost yesterday, it was not a bad outing. He came on with 1st and 3rd and 1 out I think. He K'ed Acuna looking and then Albies chopped one to second. The 2B rushed the play due to runner speed and couldn't hold on to the ball. Then Freeman put on a defensive swing and poked a soft liner into CF. Wasn't hit hard at all.

Looks to me like he has a deceptive delivery and pretty good pitch movement.

not really a blown save in our "fantasy" world...he came in during the 6th inning so he was NEVER going to get a save opportunity for the game

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm surprised that people were expecting Kevin Cash to use a traditional workhorse "closer" regardless of how talented.

Anderson will still got some saves but Drake, Castillo, Alvarado and probably some others will all be in the mix depending on matchups and rest.  It's how they do.

I agree with this post for the most part and it makes conventional sense.  But this was the exact same scenario last year.  Last  year some guy called Emilio pagan came out of nowhere, picked up a save in that loaded pen.  Someone just mentioned him on this thread and got laughed at.  He went on to put up elite closer numbers.  To be fair, Alvarado was the closeR the first week , then Castillo for a bit, so the script is more like Alvarados.
I laughed...I shook my head..I missed out.  I’m not expecting a miracle, but I’ll keep an open mind. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Just my 2 cents on recent hot WW adds and prospective closers n all that, in order of how viable each situation is in my eyes starting from the top

Nick Anderson - TB - could be a fireman role with some saves sprinkled in when they dont need him earlier, but theres drake - alvarado - castillo so good luck picking from those 3 (add drake for now if you have the spot open)

17 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I doubt Anderson is available on the waiver wire. Also, why no mention of Drake? He leads the team in saves. And Hunter Harvey is the guy to own in Baltimore. He'll be back next Thursday. I would stash him if you have an open roster / IL spot. 

I did mention drake, who just got hit last night, i wasnt saying Anderson would be available on the WW but he is the "closer" or at least thats what fantasy managers thought, so i lead with his name then follow with the guys we all have to speculate on

Edited by kmoore1521

6 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I agree with this post for the most part and it makes conventional sense.  But this was the exact same scenario last year.  Last  year some guy called Emilio pagan came out of nowhere, picked up a save in that loaded pen.  Someone just mentioned him on this thread and got laughed at.  He went on to put up elite closer numbers.  To be fair, Alvarado was the closeR the first week , then Castillo for a bit, so the script is more like Alvarados.
I laughed...I shook my head..I missed out.  I’m not expecting a miracle, but I’ll keep an open mind. 

That's fair.

But kinda hard to keep an open mind about Anderson ATM since he was just recently drafted with the expectation that he was "TB's closer" so people still own him are hoping for that to happen.

Pagan may have just gotten ridden til the brakes fell off because he thrived in the role, and it's also possible (and I feel more likely) that no one on the roster fills it as well, and so mixing and matching will be more of a season long situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That's fair.

But kinda hard to keep an open mind about Anderson ATM since he was just recently drafted with the expectation that he was "TB's closer" so people still own him are hoping for that to happen.

Pagan may have just gotten ridden til the brakes fell off because he thrived in the role, and it's also possible (and I feel more likely) that no one on the roster fills it as well, and so mixing and matching will be more of a season long situation.

Drew Lock rules!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

Drew Lock rules!

🤛

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

I did mention drake, who just got hit last night, i wasnt saying Anderson would be available on the WW but he is the "closer" or at least thats what fantasy managers thought, so i lead with his name then follow with the guys we all have to speculate on

Yep. I mentioned it in another post, but I missed it when i first read your post. All probably a moot point now that he was used in the 6th last night. Honestly, I'd steer clear of all the Rays RPs unless you place in a saves + holds league. Same with any Gabe Kapler managed team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Yep. I mentioned it in another post, but I missed it when i first read your post. All probably a moot point now that he was used in the 6th last night. Honestly, I'd steer clear of all the Rays RPs unless you place in a saves + holds league. Same with any Gabe Kapler managed team. 

Well, there are some leagues that don't use holds in which good RP ratios and every possible save is still a good thing. 

9 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Is Nick Anderson still a dynasty bench hold? In my dynasty, guys like Burdi, Hudson, Bass, Gott, Drake, Davis and Holland are still available. Not asking for a replacement as I have a starter. I’m just curious if anyone is holding based on his potential as a top fantasy closer if he **ever** gets a shot. 

I'd think his ratio of K's to IP is worth his rostering aside from closing.  He is a K adder just like Betances in his prime was.  Some Saves is just the icing on the cake.

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Well, there are some leagues that don't use holds in which good RP ratios and every possible save is still a good thing. 

True, but in a shortened season I'm finding it even harder to justify rostering those types of players. Anderson might be the exception, since he has Hader ratio upside, but I don't think the others are worth rostering. 

Posted (edited)

A lot of these roles are a mess.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

True, but in a shortened season I'm finding it even harder to justify rostering those types of players. Anderson might be the exception, since he has Hader ratio upside, but I don't think the others are worth rostering. 

Depends on the league, I think. Even in a shortened season, I need RPs I can count on to keep ratios down and help me have the best chance I can to win the ERA and WHIP cats. And if they have good-great K ratios, that's even better because we have an innings cap. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Depends on the league, I think. Even in a shortened season, I need RPs I can count on to keep ratios down and help me have the best chance I can to win the ERA and WHIP cats. And if they have good-great K ratios, that's even better because we have an innings cap. 

I have him in a dynasty points league...toast? Non-closing relievers aren’t startable in this league. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

• Like 2

Looks like LeClerc might be out for a while. Not a lot of appealing options for a replacement. Anybody have any thoughts on this Jonathan Hernandez fellow? I've seen a few things that suggest he has nasty stuff but have yet to see him throw. Last outing didn't go well.

4 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Looks like LeClerc might be out for a while. Not a lot of appealing options for a replacement. Anybody have any thoughts on this Jonathan Hernandez fellow? I've seen a few things that suggest he has nasty stuff but have yet to see him throw. Last outing didn't go well.

15 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Not sure who will be the closer long term but I’d bet that Goody gets the next opportunitie(s) to close.  3 up 3 down in his only save opportunity.... a rare feat nowadays for a closer.

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

The rest of that bullpen looks like a dumpster fire. Hernandez has been working the 8th lately. I only had 1 dart to throw so I chose him since he’s young and has some strikeout upside. I haven’t seen him pitch but it looks like he throws hard (97-98)!and has no idea where it’s going. Montero would have been intriguing but he’s out with elbow/forearm soreness and I don’t think he’s even throwing yet.

Yeah, I'm just abandoning all my Royals relievers.

5 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Holland in the 6th

kennedy in the 8th

may be a save opp..who is closing tonight?..lol

• Like 1