Sidearmer

2020 July Closer Thread

I think Gallegos is travel related, not covid.  

On 7/14/2020 at 9:29 PM, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

have seen crick reports as well.  He was very solid in 2018 but an absolute era and whip KILLER last season.  Of course  it’s hard to get a read on burdi also given his injury last year and minimal big league experience 

Yeah Crick should be the first to get a shot. Burdi throws hard but we've seen those guys come and go before.

Both my expected closers are MIA for unknown reasons. Kela and Gallegos.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:43 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

I think Gallegos is travel related, not covid.  

get some coyotes

Jordan Romano looked really good in the Blue Jays' intrasquad game last night. Could be a guy to keep an eye on as the potential setup man to Giles.

Going into keeper deadline and with all of the uncertainty surrounding Gallegos I think I'm leaving him off my roster in favor of Will Smith.  The fact that he can't get his travel stuff in order this close to the start of the season is a bit worrisome.  I just gotta hope now that Melancon realizes that he's Melancon and coughs up the gig early.

This would seem to bolster Helsley's chances to close with Gallegos' situation still up in the air.

• Thanks 1

Yes.  And despite Rotoword Guy not knowing Helsley exists to mention in passing; I am sure St Louis does:

Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said Thursday that Carlos Martinez has “earned every opportunity” to be in the rotation.

There had been some talk that Martinez might have to go back to the bullpen after he was delayed in reporting to the Cards' summer camp. However, Martinez continued throwing while he was away and he looked strong in his first summer camp outing last weekend. He will make another intrasquad start Friday and should be prepared to throw five innings when the season begins. With Martinez appearing to be rotation-bound, Kwang-Hyun Kim could be used in relief.

Source: Jeff Jones on Twitter            Jul 16, 2020, 10:08 PM ET

• Haha 1

Hunter Harvey could be a low key Saves guy for the Orioles if he can build on how he performed in his cup of coffee last season

The last week I've added

Ryan Helsley- STL

Kyle Crick- PIT

Tyler Rogers- SF

and drafted Hunter Harvey- BAL

Along w Hand and Robles

and I feel great about this 'pen...

Hirano acquires the rona.

Supposedly spent the last few months licking the back of bus seats in order to not have to pitch for the mariners, right @Cmilne23

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Updates from the Cardinals’ intrasquad game:

Martinez threw three solid innings, reaching 57 pitches. Helsley worked a scoreless final inning, hitting 98 on the gun. He had struggled in his last two outings. And Shildt said it would not be reasonable to put Gallegos right in to the closer role with five days left in camp. (Story on stltoday.com).

Looking a little better for Helsley getting first crack at it.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Caelum said:

Martinez threw three solid innings, reaching 57 pitches. Helsley worked a scoreless final inning, hitting 98 on the gun. He had struggled in his last two outings. And Shildt said it would not be reasonable to put Gallegos right in to the closer role with five days left in camp. (Story on stltoday.com).

Do you know what C-Mart's pitching line was?

8 hours ago, Caelum said:

Nice deep dive! Good work!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bash Bros said:

Do you know what C-Mart's pitching line was?

3 IP, 1 run on 2 hits and 2 walks, 2 Ks.

• Like 1

Wondering why the Yankees haven’t done anything with their roster concerning Chapman. Is he going on the IL? If so, why not already have him there? Is he opting out? If so, why not get a replacement player on the roster?

They don't have  to place him there if they want his slot until a few minutes before their opening day pitch on the 23rd and merely make it retroactive.  That is how some teams hedge their bets etc.  Drives us fantasy managers crazy but unfortunately big league teams don't care about us.

I do think they won't likely wait that long but they aren't rushing these things either it seems.

• Like 2

Hels Bells lookin like the closer in STL now...

GG to the 10day...

• Like 1

Crick did not look ready...yeesh...lets see how Burdi does...

10 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Crick did not look ready...yeesh...lets see how Burdi does...

Wondering if we should read into the fact that Crick pitched the 8th and Burdi pitched the 9th.

16 minutes ago, Short Porch said:

Wondering if we should read into the fact that Crick pitched the 8th and Burdi pitched the 9th.

I mean I was thinking the same thing...and Burdi looked good...threw smoke w stuff...looks the part..where theres smoke theres 🔥

18 minutes ago, dfstout said:

I mean I was thinking the same thing...and Burdi looked good...threw smoke w stuff...looks the part..where theres smoke theres 🔥

Eh, I'd actually go with Rotoworld Guy's take.  Especially the last few words, hah.:

Kyle Crick was tagged for four runs in one-third of an inning of relief Saturday against the Indians.

He walked two. It's bad timing for Crick, who could be the favorite for saves in the Pirates pen with Keone Kela on the injured list. Nick Burdi, who is probably the top alternative, also pitched tonight and gave up one run in one inning. At this point, the situation is only barely worth speculating on, since Kela could be back in a couple of weeks and the Pirates are likely to lose a lot of games.

Jul 18, 2020, 10:09 PM ET

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Eh, I'd actually go with Rotoworld Guy's take.  Especially the last few words, hah.:

Its a good point lol

But if they win 3 games a week that could be 3 saves right there and looks like Burdi is the best bet for em... 

Chasing saves is my hobby and sadly, my curse...

Well round one definitively goes to Burdi. Arm looked electric and control good

Crick imploded. Worst possible audition ever.

FAAB Burdi

• Like 1

Any info on the Nats situation? Roster Resource has Doolittle and Hudson as co-closers, and Doolittle was talking about opting out a few weeks ago.