IlliniGuy76

Picking Draft Order In Reboot Of Dynasty League - Where To Pick?

12 teams

PPR

2 QB league (where QB's are very valuable)

We're drawing cards where the first pick gets to choose where they want to pick and the 12 pick gets what's left.  What draft slots do you all think are the best in a reboot/new dynasty league with the above scoring/parameters?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

What draft slots do you all think are the best in a reboot/new dynasty league with the above scoring/parameters?

In a snake draft, the early picks are theoretically a bit more valuable than the later picks, because the difference between 1.1 and 1.12 is generally larger than the difference between 2.1 and 2.12. So in general, the earlier, the better.

However, if there is a "plateau" within the first picks, say 5 players which are almost interchangeable, then the best position is the last of those, because if you consider that the difference between 1.1 and 1.5 is minimal, then I'd rather have 1.5 + 2.8 than 1.1 + 2.12.

So:
- Study the draft ADP
- Figure out which of the first N you consider all more or less guaranteed
- Then pick N is your ideal spot.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

In a snake draft, the early picks are theoretically a bit more valuable than the later picks, because the difference between 1.1 and 1.12 is generally larger than the difference between 2.1 and 2.12. So in general, the earlier, the better.

However, if there is a "plateau" within the first picks, say 5 players which are almost interchangeable, then the best position is the last of those, because if you consider that the difference between 1.1 and 1.5 is minimal, then I'd rather have 1.5 + 2.8 than 1.1 + 2.12.

So:
- Study the draft ADP

I echo this. Make your own tiers and decide if you can wait a few picks and get an earlier 2nd rounder

Edited by bhawks489

10 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

So:
- Study the draft ADP

Thanks!  Yes - we've had this league running for 13 seasons & we are doing a complete reboot of the league.  Going back to the thinking of how do I choose draft slot strategy & players is super interesting and something I've not had to think about for many many years!

the earliest possible. some people will reach and some players fill fall in the draft so getting 3 picks early is a win.

And in a 12 team league I drew the... 12th ball.  I got pick 11.  Unreal.

Does that affect my draft strategy meaning - do I draft a bit older thinking older vets who have a few years left may fall? 

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

And in a 12 team league I drew the... 12th ball.  I got pick 11.  Unreal.

Does that affect my draft strategy meaning - do I draft a bit older thinking older vets who have a few years left may fall? 

not that big of a deal. 2 qb means mahomes jackson and maybe 1 or 2 of wilson, dak,murray,watson will be drafted in the 1st depending on how ur leagues 2 qb scoring works.

could end up getting 2 nice pieces if other owners are reaching for qbs.

Posted (edited)

I looked at the wrong ADP...

Its tough to say what to do without knowing who will be there at 11. Id look at RB though.

Edited by bhawks489

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

At 11 you could go Mahomes/Jackson and then load up on RBs

2QB league, dynasty, reboot

Mahomes and Jackson will be gone in the first 3-4 picks

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

2QB league, dynasty, reboot

Mahomes and Jackson will be gone in the first 3-4 picks

whatever you do dont take a qb at the turn thats not mahomes or jackson.

looking pretty good. 2 of cooks adams nuk mixon chubb sander edwards

I'd prefer any of the 1.03-1.05. This allows you to get one of the top QBs or CMC.