Rotoworld.com Forums

Corbin Burnes 2020 Outlook

Just now, RobLaw said:

Anyone feeling bold enough to start him this week?  He will go against the Cubs at Wrigley and then the Cards at home. 

He’s a lottery ticket for me so I apready have my 5 starters I am counting on. I’m gonna hang on to Burnes and take a wait and see approach.

If after 1-2 starts it’s looking like the breakout is real then I’ll play him. Actually, if the first start is good I may be too giddy not to roll out the shiny new toy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Legitimately a terrible strategy. Why would you avoid a guy that will be elite in all categories except for the one that is predominantly linked with luck? Wins are not even on my radar when I look fo

LOL, theer is only 60 days to the season.  If you own someone you basically play them this year or you drop them.

I adore this animal.

6 hours ago, einstein2u said:

doesn't he have a very hittable fastball?  

I heard he added some movement to it as well...and made adjustments...his slider was already top notch... he has sick stuff and can stock up on Ks w a solid lineup behind him for Ws...giddyup

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RobLaw said:

Anyone feeling bold enough to start him this week?  He will go against the Cubs at Wrigley and then the Cards at home. 

if theyre on my squad I squad em up...especially this year...

• Like 2
16 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

LOL, theer is only 60 days to the season.  If you own someone you basically play them this year or you drop them.

I think a lot of people play in leagues that have weekly lineups so you can't just pump every pitcher you own into your lineup everyday. Having said that, I'm taking advantage of the RP eligibility and starting him for the long first week. As has been mentioned, it's boner time.

• Thanks 1

In a shortened season, he sure seems like at least a decent arm to gamble on. If he bombs, cut him loose. But it's these kind of pickups that can prove invaluable to a championship season if they pan out. The hype train is starting to roll on this guy, which is a little scary, but you have to have some risk to earn the reward somewhere along the way. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roscobangs said:

Are people holding after todays start? I only saw him early on, but it looks he settled in briefly before being pulled after 3 and third. Next up he's against STL.

as my last arm in my rotation, yes. 6k in 3.1

8 hours ago, roscobangs said:

Are people holding after todays start? I only saw him early on, but it looks he settled in briefly before being pulled after 3 and third. Next up he's against STL.

100% hold. As things pertain to Burnes, that arrow, yeah, it's pointed about as erect and upright as I used to get watching Jenna Jameson perform circa 1994-1998.

I see no reason as to why Burnes doesn't continue to get better and better this season, a whole lot sooner than he gets worse.

He has some of the nastiest stuff on the planet. That slider of his is downright off the charts crazy filthy. Sure, he's still in the midst of harnessing it all together and figuring out how to apply his immense talent in regards to game management, efficiency and control; but as evidenced by his spring and summer camp performances and yesterday's 6 K's in 3.1 against the Cubs, he's making legitimate strides there. 

And in regards to the 3 walks he issued up yesterday, keep in mind, the Cubs are one of the more patient lineups you'll find around the league, as they strategically look to take walks and work pitch counts up. And even still, the veteran-laden Cubs still had a difficult time from laying off and chasing and looking foolish at the dish. Most lineups around the league aren't as disciplined with their approach and will have an even harder time from helplessly flailing at the unhittable stuff Burnes hurls at them.

In summation, bottom line, way I see it:  the man has no-hit stuff, the likes of which, with just a little bit of continued improvement in the efficiency/pitch count department, could have him capable of routinely popping off double digit strikeout performances on one or none earned; and as of right now, he's locked into the Brewers rotation for the foreseeable future this 2020 season. Talent + opportunity = easy hold

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 1

Daniel Cabrera says hello... Its easy to fall in love with a sweet k/9 with a young pitcher but there cautionary tales of less than ideal outcomes. Unless you play in those k/9 leagues without era, might want to reserve some optimistic caution. 

7 minutes ago, dundeeslugger said:

Is He going to get another start? CBS doesn't show him with a start this week and MLB has an undetermined starter for Saturdays game.

Yahoo has him slated to start tomorrow

23 minutes ago, dundeeslugger said:

Is He going to get another start? CBS doesn't show him with a start this week and MLB has an undetermined starter for Saturdays game.

Their best writer suggested he may have followed Anderson today but if not, he was an option to start tomorrow. No one knows yet 

On 7/26/2020 at 12:14 PM, tucker26 said:

Daniel Cabrera says hello... Its easy to fall in love with a sweet k/9 with a young pitcher but there cautionary tales of less than ideal outcomes. Unless you play in those k/9 leagues without era, might want to reserve some optimistic caution. 

Except Daniel Cabrera never had a "sweet k/9", so I'm not getting the comparison. And he also had a huge problem with walks. 

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Uh so is he not in the rotation? Came in and pitched 3.2 innings of relief today

Yeah, it appears not. And unfortunately for owners it was 1 3-0 cookie to Abreu that turned what was a really nice outing into a bad one. If he gets that out we could be looking at great ratios and a win instead of a minor ratio smack. 😕

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Uh so is he not in the rotation? Came in and pitched 3.2 innings of relief today

The RW blurb said he’s still in the rotation but had to get some work in because of his missed start against StL. 

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

The RW blurb said he’s still in the rotation but had to get some work in because of his missed start against StL. 

I don’t see an updated blurb. Where do you see it? Thanks! 

Edit: disregard. See it now. 

Edited by WTP333
Update