theSPANKER

NFL Players Association reveals 72 players test positive for COVID-19

52 minutes ago, CooL said:

For all the Debbie Downers and Sky is Falling posters here, what exactly is your point?  If you're convinced that the season is going to be cancelled, then why are you even wasting your time and bandwidth even coming to this site?

I'm very sad and realistic about the world we live in and believe it's going to be a while before this is over.  I don't believe this virus is a hoax.  I do know that people are dying.  And it's very disheartening because it doesn't look like things will improve any time soon.  But we can at least hope for a season.  And we can talk about strategy and debate about players.  Every single thread seems to have somebody that says "What's the point?  The season will be cancelled".  To those posters, please go away and come back in 2021 if that's how you really feel.

Dude why are you clumping me in with the downers? Lol 

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

"And it's very disheartening because it doesn't look like things will improve any time soon."

There are multiple vaccines in stage 3 human trials and could be available by the end of the year to go along with preventatives for the more at risk people and treatments that show excellent results for those with debilitating symptoms.

It's not all doom and gloom out there if that's what you hear all the time.

This all day long. It must be the generation of mopers is what I chalk it up to, a generation that doesn't know history ,doesn't know that life is amazing in so many ways but there are the downsides and sometimes its worse than others. 

This virus to me is annoying but I live my life, i eat good food, I work, I play my fn video games, I do things with my wife ,I play with my dogs, I drink coffee every day and sit on my deck and catch some sun or swim,  I go out still to the mall or wherever I need to be, I'm working on my house....I mean sure there's a virus cloud hanging around but people need to pick their mopey chins up off the floor and realize it can be inconvenient but its manageable, doable...and like you said they have vaccines in the works and every day working on new therapeutics. 

I love the statements when people say "people are dying "... as if that is some new concept. Cancer, strokes, heart attack, flu, mosquitoes,  I could go on all day and list ways in which people die and yet not a bat of an eyelash when it happens .

Let's pause there "people are dying "...yet around 60000 died from the flu and 700,000 hospitalizations for the "flu"....in a single flu season. Multiply that by a decade and what....that isn't people dying ? Or OH WAIT.....wait I got it, its because its not titled "pandemic" . So those deaths don't matter i guess, all our football seasons when old and young alike are getting busted up from the flu, 40 50 60000 or so "dying" ,yet nobody on here is whining "but people are DYING!".

I got one, throw a world War or two in the mix with a pandemic.  Because that's what older generations were facing, all that **** going on and a pandemic that killed what, 50....MILLION...and those mofos powered thru it and just battled life. Yet here in 2020 where everyone is home playing games on their phones and dancing on tik Tok they're whining like we have a virus causing people's limbs to fall off , what would some of the mopers done back then? Yea ill happily take covid over all that ****.

Perspective, people need to get some perspective.  

Yes any death sucks,  cancer,  flu, covid, they all suck but that's life. We lose MILLIONS every year to tons of diseases and sicknesses . But that's life, what can you do ? You live life as there can be so many great things ,but sure there are negatives and thats how it is. 

Covid will pass as all pandemics Peter out eventually, but the constant whiney doom and gloom is beyond ridiculous.  Its this generation of people that have had it pretty easy in life,including myself. 

I've went 41 years and sure the last 5 months haven't been the greatest but they aren't so awful that I gotta sit around and feel I need to bring everyone down adound me. 5 months in 41 years isn't a bad track record, and its already better than it was in March when doctors and people were just starting to understand. 

If the season is canceled so be it, it'll be back next year but until then I'm gonna just go in like its going to complete and that's it. There's no need to sit and mope around 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m looking at the problems MLB is having and it comes down to players being responsible or not. I think the NFL playing once a week instead of once a day is actually a big advantage for them. Anyone agree? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

I’m looking at the problems MLB is having and it comes down to players being responsible or not. I think the NFL playing once a week instead of once a day is actually a big advantage for them. Anyone agree? 

Yes this ought to help tremendously, as far as the once per week travel. The other obvious disadvantage though is the sheer size of an NFL roster/traveling party, comparatively to MLB or any other pro sports team. Between coaches, trainers, staff and players it is a lot of folks...even if they keep their distance from other personnel groups, all it takes is one person to be selfishly irresponsible and trigger a Marlins like outbreak. I hope the NFL players are learning from the missteps of the MLB players. Positives are gonna happen, we all know that...just have to isolate and follow protocols to stop mass spreads and they can make it through a FULL season.

13 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

I still think the NFL is f#3ked . 

Posted (edited)

On top of this, we'll find out which players are opting out of this upcoming season on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Edited by DezedandConfused

58 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

On top of this, we'll find out which players are opting out of this upcoming season on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Or not. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/01/nfl-pushes-for-shorter-opt-out-window/

The NFL and NFL Players Agreement have agreed that players will have seven days from the signing of the official revision to the Collective Bargaining Agreement to decide whether to opt out of the 2020 season. Since the deal has not yet been finalized, that would put the deadline at Saturday, August 8 — at the earliest.

The league, apparently rattled by the fact that nearly 40 players already have said “no thanks” to pro football in a pandemic, now wants a shorter deadline than the one previously negotiated.

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports that the NFL “is pushing to move up the deadline from one week after the new CBA side-letter is signed, and it now is expected even sooner.” Schefter’s tweet on the subject suggests that the NFLPA is fine with this, claiming that the opt-out deadline is “now expected to be moved up to either Tuesday or Wednesday.”

• Like 1

Guessing mlb will be shut down in 2 weeks....my belief was how mlb did, would show us a lot about what’ll happen in the nfl. 
so yea....super tough to get excited about fantasy this yr. 

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yes this ought to help tremendously, as far as the once per week travel. The other obvious disadvantage though is the sheer size of an NFL roster/traveling party, comparatively to MLB or any other pro sports team. Between coaches, trainers, staff and players it is a lot of folks...even if they keep their distance from other personnel groups, all it takes is one person to be selfishly irresponsible and trigger a Marlins like outbreak. I hope the NFL players are learning from the missteps of the MLB players. Positives are gonna happen, we all know that...just have to isolate and follow protocols to stop mass spreads and they can make it through a FULL season.

In the end though, whether it's baseball or football, they are young athletes who may or may not think that the virus won't get them, or if it does, that it won't affect them much.  We're seeing all the players coming down with Covid in baseball.  Yet relatively few in basketball, and those all happened outside of the bubble.  Impossible to put a bubble around the NFL or MLB.  There are some encouraging signs of players taking responsibility in MLB, such as Joey Votto and Kris Bryant self-reporting symptoms and staying home out of precaution.  Or the Cubs celebration after the walk-off single today where they gave air high fives.  But then right after?  Went immediately back to traditional high fives.  Players not wearing masks routinely in the dugout.  These kind of things will do the NFL in, where there's even more contact between players, not to mention forceful exhaling, droplets and spit flying through the air, being on the bottom of a pile where you're breathing somebody's air.  These players need to take the instructions seriously if they hope to have a season.  It's going to be challenging.

Its going to come down to how responsible players and the staff are outside of playing the games. As someone already mentioned one of the major disadvantages for the NFL is the number of people that are involved for each game. All of those people need to be responsible adults and effectively quarantine when not playing/practicing. Otherwise the virus can spread quickly as we have witnessed in other sports and society. We have already witnessed nearly an entire team being irresponsible in the Marlins for the MLB. Going to be tough to trust the sheer amount of people involved in the NFL to be responsible.

It is their job and they should be professionals though. A lot of jobs are counting on the sport going on. So many people involved in national sports.

57 minutes ago, CooL said:

These kind of things will do the NFL in, where there's even more contact between players, not to mention forceful exhaling, droplets and spit flying through the air, being on the bottom of a pile where you're breathing somebody's air.  

I honestly thought you were going somewhere else with that sentence, but yes.

reidfart.gif

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/us/philadelphia-eagles-head-coach-doug-pederson-coronavirus-spt-trnd/index.html

Philadelphia Eagles head coach Doug Pederson has tested positive for Covid-19, the team announced in a statement Sunday.

Pederson is "asymptomatic and doing well," the Eagles' statement read. He is in self-quarantine and in communication with the team's medical staff.

So this is where we stand after all player intake tests are completed, this is just players and not staff:

-Over 2600 players currently on rosters (including all draft picks and opt outs)

-90 players were put on COVID list (does not mean they had it)...so roughly about 3%

-That does not account for the fact that 35 of those 90 players on the list have already been activated off the COVID list

All things considered (esp how baseball has been going) the NFL early numbers are really encouraging.

Hopefully they can continue managing it this well.

• Like 2

All major soccer leagues in Europe did perfectly well without bubbles.  And they were playing 3/week in order to get all their games done in a scrunched amount of time.  One game per week, with a little player responsibility, should be able to be done.  

That stat above puts it in good perspective.  3% isn't a lot.  And these are elite athletes that will be just fine even if they do get it.  

Having said all that, the fear is real and I wouldn't be surprised if the season gets cancelled at some point.  We are already putting things in place for getting money back, how many weeks to count a season, etc.  

49 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

All major soccer leagues in Europe did perfectly well without bubbles.  And they were playing 3/week in order to get all their games done in a scrunched amount of time.  One game per week, with a little player responsibility, should be able to be done.  

That stat above puts it in good perspective.  3% isn't a lot.  And these are elite athletes that will be just fine even if they do get it.  

Having said all that, the fear is real and I wouldn't be surprised if the season gets cancelled at some point.  We are already putting things in place for getting money back, how many weeks to count a season, etc.  

Man you were solid until that last paragraph 

4 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

I don’t think people are worried about super athletes dying, they are worried about spreading the virus more. And Europe has generally done better at containing the virus than the US. There are still a ton of people in the US who think there is a global conspiracy and that the virus is a hoax. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I don’t think people are worried about super athletes dying, they are worried about spreading the virus more. And Europe has generally done better at containing the virus than the US. There are still a ton of people in the US who think there is a global conspiracy and that the virus is a hoax. 

Yes and that makes sense.  Ultimately we're still looking at a disease with a 99%+ survival rate.  That's why it's fine for players with young children, or that have their grandma living in or whatever to opt out.  It's their decision and they aren't punished for it, which is fair.

Ultimately a country of near 350M people will have more positive tests (and more dumb people) than a country the size of Missouri with a population of 60 million.  

The point stands that France, Spain, England, Germany and Italy all resumed their top flight soccer leagues and did well with it.  And Italy was absolutely crushed early on, yet they were able to manage it.  If I was running the NFL, I'd get guys over there talking to their commissioners right away and jotting down ideas.  

All things are possible through God, so jot that down, too.

12 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Yes and that makes sense.  Ultimately we're still looking at a disease with a 99%+ survival rate.  That's why it's fine for players with young children, or that have their grandma living in or whatever to opt out.  It's their decision and they aren't punished for it, which is fair.

Ultimately a country of near 350M people will have more positive tests (and more dumb people) than a country the size of Missouri with a population of 60 million.  

The point stands that France, Spain, England, Germany and Italy all resumed their top flight soccer leagues and did well with it.  And Italy was absolutely crushed early on, yet they were able to manage it.  If I was running the NFL, I'd get guys over there talking to their commissioners right away and jotting down ideas.  

All things are possible through God, so jot that down, too.

Pretty sure he’s the reason we’re in this mess in the first place if you believe in that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Pretty sure he’s the reason we’re in this mess in the first place if you believe in that sort of thing. 

Just a quote from Always Sunny.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 9:07 AM, shakestreet said:

Will you be playing for cash or fun this year

ain't no fun with no cash, amirite?

take the coin out the equation, and i have zero interest in this Leeg. 

ymmv, of course ...

🛀

Sheesh he hasn't even opted out yet and some angry fans were doing their angry fan thing on twitter. 

6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Sheesh he hasn't even opted out yet and some angry fans were doing their angry fan thing on twitter. 

Twitter is a cesspool, unfortunately, but I've seen similar noises here on the Rotofora. Yes, some fans are extremely selfish.

Life will really get good when people stop even remotely caring what the piece of **** Twitter cocknozzles have to say about anything.  I hate social media, it opens the door to every garbage tier person on the planet , but people shouldn't even respond to anyone when it comes to stuff like that. The dude made his choice and by him even responding its what makes all the pieces of **** happy , they get off on it. Who cares what they say, ignore it, make a choice stand by it and ignore the garbage.

I fn hate Twitter, it is seriously about as low tier as it gets 

• Like 3