rex_bulkhead

What does your league do if the season is shut down?

23 minutes ago, Dream On said:

And I bet the average is right there in the 50% range, exactly where one would expect it to be.  I personally don't pay a ton of attention to what projections are out there each year, but I'm sure at least some of them are made by guys who are pretty darn good at fantasy football.

Like you said, a lot of this talk of beating projections is anecdotal, and I'm sure people tend to remember what they did well, and kind of forget what they did poorly.  That's just human nature.

Oh, I'm with you there, I actually did track my predictions last season and I was right there on the 50% mark. No discussion. 

However, I still think it's a bad idea to award draft positions for next season based on something that is wildly inaccurate (ADP) and fairly arbitrary, while rewarding only part of the skills needed for fantasy and ignoring any benefit of deviating from common knowledge.

1 hour ago, Dream On said:

So in other words, you are saying that two-thirds of the data you are using is at least one year out of date.  Not desirable at all to me.

I think probably everyone on this forum would say they absolutely smoke projections every single year.  I'm not sure that is even technically possible though.  Now, I'm not calling anyone a liar.  Maybe some people do that.  But I think the reality is probably that everyone guesses better than the projections on some players, and everyone guesses worse than the projections on some players.  And the best players guess right more than the worst.  But the actual success rate probably ranges from about 20% for the worst players, to maybe 70% for the best.  And I bet the average is right there in the 50% range, exactly where one would expect it to be.  I personally don't pay a ton of attention to what projections are out there each year, but I'm sure at least some of them are made by guys who are pretty darn good at fantasy football.

Like you said, a lot of this talk of beating projections is anecdotal, and I'm sure people tend to remember what they did well, and kind of forget what they did poorly.  That's just human nature.

Again, what is more likely to give you better draft position rankings?  Finishes over the past 3 years?  Or using an outside source to rate all teams based on the talent they have on their roster today?  Any inaccurate rankings should impact all teams equally - well, probably not, but it's a roll of the dice for all teams so at least it's not like that is inherently unfair to anyone.

Out of date? its the average of how you did throughout the last 3 years. I think its better projection than expecting an anomaly 

Does anyone have info on yahoo pro league contingencies for delays or cancellations? Can’t find anything .

5 hours ago, Proteus said:

Does anyone have info on yahoo pro league contingencies for delays or cancellations? Can’t find anything .

I think they would do the same as NBA season. If the season is not complete due to Covid 19, then the fantasy season is over. The standing at the moment they suspending the season will be the final standing and go onto your Yahoo Fantasy Profile. BUT all money will be refunded to all players. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ginocan said:

I think they would do the same as NBA season. If the season is not complete due to Covid 19, then the fantasy season is over. The standing at the moment they suspending the season will be the final standing and go onto your Yahoo Fantasy Profile. BUT all money will be refunded to all players. 

Thanks man.

And wow. Imagine the rage if you’re sitting at 10-3 or better heading into the fantasy playoffs and it all gets called off.

Edited by Proteus

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Thanks man.

And wow. Imagine the rage if you’re sitting at 10-3 or better heading into the fantasy playoffs and it all gets called off.

Wait, so you're already getting upset about the possibility that you might be disappointed because there's an option you would do well?

That seems a bit much for a hobby.

Also, if the situation in early December is bad enough for the season to be cancelled then I think we probably have worse worries than our imaginary football teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Wait, so you're already getting upset about the possibility that you might be disappointed because there's an option you would do well?

That seems a bit much for a hobby.

Also, if the situation in early December is bad enough for the season to be cancelled then I think we probably have worse worries than our imaginary football teams.

We already have those worries, my dude. Why even bother with any of it?

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Imagine the rage if you’re sitting at 10-3 or better heading into the fantasy playoffs and it all gets called off.

1 minute ago, Proteus said:

We already have those worries, my dude. Why even bother with any of it?

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

giphy.gif

Listen man. The leagues I’m involved in this far seem to count if they get to week 6.

I’ll rephrase. Imagine the slight ironic irritation you would feel if on top the actual end of the world occurring, your stalwart imaginary football team is also going to get robbed out of what would otherwise have been perhaps a cash payout or at least a cartoon trophy.

Better? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Proteus said:

Listen man. The leagues I’m involved in this far seem to count if they get to week 6.

I’ll rephrase. Imagine the slight ironic irritation you would feel if on top the actual end of the world occurring, your stalwart imaginary football team is also going to get robbed out of what would otherwise have been perhaps a cash payout or at least a cartoon trophy.

Better? 

Perfect.

Glad I came across this thread, lot of good ideas in here.  For a smaller stakes league we decided to refund everybody if we don't get through 11 weeks.  After that point its pretty clear if someone is within two games of playoff contention, so everybody in playoff contention gets refunded, and we pay the remainder to the top three in the standings (same percentage as the original final payouts).  If we get through 12 weeks same thing, but everybody within one game is refunded.

If we get through 13 weeks but don't complete a fantasy playoff week, we'll go 30/30/10/10/10/10% split, top two seeds getting 30%.  Through 14 weeks 35/35/15/15, two highest remaining seeds get 35%.  If we to championship week and it doesn't play out, the two teams competing for third get their money back and the two competing for the championship split the money.  At that point I think it'd be unfair to give a higher payout to the higher seed when they've come that far and only have one game remaining.

And we never do IR spots but we'll do 5 IR spots that are only to be used for COVID, even if Yahoo doesn't specifically have a COVID only IR system in place.  Hopefully they at least make them IR eligible, and it'll be made clear to everyone that the spots are for COVID designated players only.

Bottom line to me is once you're in the playoffs anything can happen and I don't think its fair to give some huge payout to whoever is the top seed.  I'm sure there are a million ways this can be done, but in a quick 15 minute conversation this is what I and the commissioner of the league have thrown together.  Kudos to everyone in here who gave ideas, as I wasn't even thinking about any of this until reading this thread.

• Thanks 1

Our league agreed on the following back up plan:

- if season gets shut down before week 8, everyone gets their full money back

- if season gets past week 8 but we aren't able to conduct playoffs, 25% of the pot goes to the team with the best record, 25% goes to the team with the most total points, and the rest gets refunded to everyone else. The two payouts helped settle the debate of "which metric determines the best team? Record or total points?" And also offers the chance for one team to cash in on both.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds like my league will have three cutoff points (the first of which the commissioner is polling to determine).

- If we fail to make, let’s say, five games, all money is refunded and season is called off.

-If we make the first barrier, but fail to make it to the playoffs, payouts go to the top four teams based on record (with points scored as tie-breaker).  

-If we start, but fail to finish the playoffs, top four teams are payed based on points scored. 

Edited by Bandito
  • Like 1

We are doing the following:

• Pay out all the winners of the weekly high score ($20)
  • If the season is canceled before the conclusion of week 13, refund the remaining $ between the 12 teams
  • If the season is canceled after the conclusion of week 13, pay out top scorer prize ($240) and refund the remaining money equally to the teams still alive. (For example, if league is canceled week 14, Payout $20*13 + $240, refund remaining $ to 6 teams. If the league is canceled week 15 or 16, the refund is split equally between 4 teams as e pay out top 3).

IF there is a shutdown ...

best record wins the whole pot, total pts scored is the tiebreak, regardless of when the leeg folds up tent. 

K.I.S.S.

*(keep it simple, stoooopid)

🛀

Season cancellation prior to week 10-  refund buy-ins.  After week 10-  1st, 2nd, 3rd paid out as usual according to record with pts for as the tiebreaker 

We decided fantasy isn't fantasy without the luck/randomness that comes with the playoffs.  If the season doesn't go the distance, we're going to call it a wash and roll everyone's money into next season.  

For my dynasty league, draft order will be determined by some type of lottery/competition.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If I was winning first place after 12 weeks and y'all simply refunded everyone I would be super mad.

That's not going to fly with me in my leagues. 

Agreed though I'd feel much the same if I was in first place after 10 weeks or even 8 weeks.

• Like 1