exaulz

Spencer Howard 2020 Outlook

Phillies RHP prospect Stephen Howard (whoops) appears lined up to make his MLB debut on Friday night against the Blue Jays.

Advice: Howard got transferred to the Phillies' alternate training site when the team set its Opening Day roster on Thursday, but it's quite obvious that the move was mostly about stunting his service time. If the Phillies wait just six games into the season to promote Howard, he will become a free agent after 2026 instead of 2025. The talented 23-year-old threw four innings in an intrasquad game Sunday in Allentown and would be on normal rest for Friday's series opener versus Toronto. He's worth rostering in most standard fantasy formats.

More: Philadelphia Inquirer

(Rotoworld.com)

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jdizzle said:

What do we expect from him? Is he a must add?

unless its a very shallow league, feels like a must add to me.  I have some 55:1 for ROTY. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

I'm not seeing any official call-up. It seems like this report is pretty reasonable speculation, but speculation nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm not seeing any official call-up. It seems like this report is pretty reasonable speculation, but speculation nonetheless.

There wouldn't be anything official until later this week. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of gaming his service time

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jdizzle said:

What do we expect from him? Is he a must add?

Totally.

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Beat reporters with a newspaper like the Inquirer wouldn't post this unless it has been back channeled confirmed.  It is just he can NOT be called up officially for a few days because of service time. 

Sun, Jul 26    Phillies RHP prospect Spencer Howard appears lined up to make his MLB debut on Friday night against the Blue Jays.

Advice: Howard got transferred to the Phillies' alternate training site when the team set its Opening Day roster on Thursday, but it's quite obvious that the move was mostly about stunting his service time. If the Phillies wait just six games into the season to promote Howard, he will become a free agent after 2026 instead of 2025. The talented 23-year-old threw four innings in an intrasquad game Sunday in Allentown and would be on normal rest for Friday's series opener versus Toronto. He's worth rostering in most standard fantasy formats.

More: Philadelphia Inquirer                  (Rotoworld.com)

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Guys, I'm aware this is how it works. Nothing I said was incorrect. I'm quite aware it's very reasonable speculation, but it IS speculation. I'd definitely act as though it's happening, but we've certainly jumped the gun in the past by assuming a call up would happen that didn't end up happening when expected. 

9 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Girardi has already stated that VV will be starting on Friday, but Howard could be used in relief. 

Welp, thats disappointing. 

Howard's debut may get put on hold now.  With the Phillies v. Yanks game postponed tonight, and possibly the series, I suspect they will just let their starters go on normal rest.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:07 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Howard's debut may get put on hold now.  With the Phillies v. Yanks game postponed tonight, and possibly the series, I suspect they will just let their starters go on normal rest.

Very disappointing. Hard to hold in this shortened season. 

20 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Very disappointing. Hard to hold in this shortened season. 

Sorry. Read the headline wrong. Would think he will still start sometime next week. 

2 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Sorry. Read the headline wrong. Would think he will still start sometime next week. 

I would only think if there was a DH or and injury...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Doctor Who's On First said:

Perhaps Howard could start one of the games of Saturday's double header?

Unlikely...  Nola will be pushed back to start Saturday with Wheeler and still have his four days rest to start on Thursday...

• Like 1

The basic reasoning behind the call up is still there. I generally think this was just service time manipulation. They'll still likely try and pair him with Velasquez to start. It's just that date has moved.

• Like 1

Any ideas when his first start might be?

Is Howard a must ad in 10 team leagues? Or a wait and see type of guy. For context, I considered Pearson a must add in these types of leagues. I'm not as familiar with Howard though. 

15 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Is Howard a must ad in 10 team leagues? Or a wait and see type of guy. For context, I considered Pearson a must add in these types of leagues. I'm not as familiar with Howard though. 

I would say he's in a similar boat with Pearson. If Pearson is a no doubt pickup in your league, then so should Howard.

Cue “It’s happening!” GIFs....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we know if it's just one start or will he be up rest of season ?