Jmiller21kg

Is Mahomes a top 3 pick in this scoring/roster format?

Wanted to get others opinions on if they think Mahomes is a top 3 overall pick in this scoring format:

1. It’s a total points league, not H2H. 

2. Touchdowns for ALL players are worth 6 (1-9 yards) 9 (10-39 yards) and 12 points (40+ yards). Obviously besides McCaffrey and maybe another RB, QBs will score the most points. 

3. You can start only 1 RB if needed ( basically 1 RB, 2 WRs, and 2 FLEX). So missing out on one of those top backs doesn’t hurt as bad. 

Am I crazy for considering Mahomes in this format? The only reason is I’m thinking Mahomes is because he offers massive upside to outscore the majority of the other QBs by a good margin to make it worth it. 

6 minutes ago, Jmiller21kg said:

3. You can start only 1 RB if needed ( basically 1 RB, 2 WRs, and 2 FLEX). So missing out on one of those top backs doesn’t hurt as bad. 

You don't mention one of the more important points, which is whether this is PPR, .5 or STD scoring? In STD and .5, you're still going to play 2-3 RBs if you have good ones.

Generally I would still say no though. Don't look at the overall points, look at the added value of Mahomes over the #12 QB, vs the added value of CMC over the #12 or #24 RB, and same for WR. Stud RBs have a premium in most formats that exceeds the added value of QBs.

15 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

You don't mention one of the more important points, which is whether this is PPR, .5 or STD scoring? In STD and .5, you're still going to play 2-3 RBs if you have good ones.

Generally I would still say no though. Don't look at the overall points, look at the added value of Mahomes over the #12 QB, vs the added value of CMC over the #12 or #24 RB, and same for WR. Stud RBs have a premium in most formats that exceeds the added value of QBs.

Oops-it is full PPR. 

That is a good point though comparing the drop off between the different positions. Probably more severe for RBs. 

Also depends (a bit) on how many teams and if you own the 1-2-3 pick...? I would say it is still Barkley/CMC and then Mahomes in this particular scoring. But honestly there is a case, given the roster config for Mahomes to be the top overall pick here. I play in a high stakes keeper where the scoring is similar (6 pts/passing TD and bonus accelerations for length of TD) and Mahomes is vastly above the standard deviation for Value Above Replacement levels when it comes to QBs. RBs are more valuable than ever, in PPR, but given the context, I would heartily endorse Mahomes around those elite overall value levels.

Yes and in every other league format

18 hours ago, Jmiller21kg said:

Wanted to get others opinions on if they think Mahomes is a top 3 overall pick in this scoring format:

1. It’s a total points league, not H2H. 

2. Touchdowns for ALL players are worth 6 (1-9 yards) 9 (10-39 yards) and 12 points (40+ yards). Obviously besides McCaffrey and maybe another RB, QBs will score the most points. 

Am I crazy for considering Mahomes in this format? The only reason is I’m thinking Mahomes is because he offers massive upside to outscore the majority of the other QBs by a good margin to make it worth it. 

In this format, I would draft him with pick #3...Think CMC/Barkley need to go 1 and 2

I think Id go lamar jackson over mahomes just for the rushing.