Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

7/28 - GAME DAY THREAD

Go...Matt Hall? Who the f#$%??? Being a sox fan has been rough already.

When do we expect an announcement out of Philly?

5 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Go Civale!

Go Cease!

Yankees better not be postponed again today :( my lineup can't take anymore

Let's just take in every pitch we can, guys. If a slew of positive tests start coming out of Philly this is going to get ugly fast.

9 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

And adding to ths some more related news:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Marlins have had four more players test positive for COVID-19.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter                Jul 28, 2020, 10:03 AM ET

So we are up from 11 positive Marlins players now to 15.

• Like 1

Well baseball was fun while it lasted!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Deke said:

Well baseball was fun while it lasted!

It’s not over yet. Baseball had several months to prepare for a scenario like this and had to be well aware of the possibility something like this could happen. What matters is how they proceed going forward. This has to be a huge wake up call for players and teams to start taking far more strict precautions. Dugouts, locker rooms, mask use, travel, etc has to be examined and changes need to be made and enforced. Everyone involved has to do their part and make the appropriate changes and this can still happen. All eyes are on them now.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Aaron Civale day (again) and happy Austin Voth day! My two favorite starting pitcher breakout picks in one day. I’ll be watching lots of baseball later.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, meh2 said:

It’s not over yet. Baseball had several months to prepare for a scenario like this and had to be well aware of the possibility something like this could happen. What matters is how they proceed going forward. This has to be a huge wake up call for players and teams to start taking far more strict precautions. Dugouts, locker rooms, mask use, travel, etc has to be examined and changes need to be made and enforced. Everyone involved has to do their part and make the appropriate changes and this can still happen. All eyes are on them now.

correction: they had several months to avoid a scenario like this. This is the beginning of the end for baseball. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Deke said:

correction: they had several months to avoid a scenario like this. This is the beginning of the end for baseball. 

Well this is the America we’re living in. We need something catastrophic to happen to get people to make some sacrifices.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Being aware this could happen and having an actual Plan B for if it happening are, alas, two different things.

So no, I doubt they have a Plan B for the Marlins.  15 players out so far and only a 30 player reserve to draw from a few of which were put here for seasoning only and are way to young to be called up.  Also an abundance of reliever arms and maybe not enough position players in that pool is a possibility as well.

If this continues and they can't even field a team does MLB just eliminate the Marlins from the season and send them home giving maybe either a win (forfeit from Marlins) or a more neutral half a win to any teams on their remaining schedule?  (Remember that in this expanded playoffs format last two teams make cut based on their win-loss records and teams in the Central and Western divisions would be upset if Eastern NL and AL teams received full wins for not even playing games).  Or do they do the same but just suspend them until they have enough recovered players to start playing again?  If this was a possible Plan B it would have been in the MLB-Players Association agreement and known to all including the public.  But it wasn't.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)

Some good news.  No Phillies players infected by the Marlins SO FAR anyway:

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that there have been no new positive COVID-19 cases with the Phillies in the wake of the Marlins' outbreak.

It's nice to hear, but that obviously comes with a caveat. It still might be a few days before we really know if any of them have contracted COVID-19. The first two games of the Phillies' series against the Yankees have been postponed, but the thought is that they'll resume Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. Keep your fingers crossed for everyone involved from the players to coaches to stadium attendants and hotel staff. They all need to be on our minds as MLB attempts this shortened season.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter               Jul 28, 2020, 10:40 AM ET

And, as stated above, the game with the Yankees today is postponed for the Phillies as well.  Given it was only a two game series in Philly and I'm sure Yankee players are still leery of the visitors clubhouse there no matter what cleaning has gone on since the Marlins left, I think that is a pretty good decision. 

The Phils are on the road next giving extra days to air out that clubhouse before any other team has to step into it again.  And like said above the Phillies themselves are still not out of the woods given the incubation period of the virus.  If they play in Yankee Stadium as scheduled tomorrow that is still scary enough for the Yankee players.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

ugh the Yankees better play double-headers on Wednesday and Thursday, I'm missing SOO many at-bats, I'm going to lose all offensive categories!

Civale looking a bit wild first inning but only gave up a single and got two strikeouts. 

Posted (edited)

Civale and Cease have a tight strike zone to deal with today. Civale hit 90+ with only 2 of his pitches while Cease is sitting in the mid-high 90's.

Edited by AnonymousRob

Civale looked so much better the second inning. No wildness, just nasty breaking balls. Struck out E5 and Luis Robert.

Posted (edited)

Is Civale the best pitcher in the world? Certainly looks like it today.

edit: holy jinx batman 

Edited by Jyeatbvg

Posted (edited)

I know there results aren't there today, but I think Cease looks pretty good. Some squeezing and luck have gone against him, but it's a promising outing thus far. Civale though, wow. His breaking stuff looks phenomenal.

Eta I jinxed it for Cease. He lost it. This could get ugly.

Edited by AnonymousRob