Sign in to follow this  
KrunK

Daulton Varsho 2020 Outlook

Just got called up by the Dbacks, catcher with power and speed that was getting some play in the OF. Definitely an intriguing skillset with C eligibility if he gets PT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Added. I was in on this guy back in Febuary before the world went sideways. Kelly can't hold runners at all so this kid is going to get playing time and his bat might be good enough to keep him in the lineup during off days behind the plate. Leggo!!!

Posted (edited)

Sure why not...  Thank you @KrunK...

Edited by posty

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whitekenyan24 said:

Added. I was in on this guy back in Febuary before the world went sideways. Kelly can't hold runners at all so this kid is going to get playing time and his bat might be good enough to keep him in the lineup during off days behind the plate. Leggo!!!

I've been in on the guy since 2 years ago when Yahoo added him to the database.  Or was it 3.  Can't remember but he went quickly in all leagues of mine for sure.  I was just lucky to land him in the one.  Big question is whether he will stick at catcher or at least get enough starts this year to re-qualify next since he is basically the third catcher on the team now and some people think he could end up in the outfield instead.  But if he can stick at catcher then W-O-W!

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Is Varsho replacing Kelly? Who gets more ABs going forward?

Did some digging. Looks like he will share time at Catcher but he's so athletic he could see time at another positions. Seems like a guy who could get regular at-bats but still qualify at Catcher

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KrunK said:

Just got called up by the Dbacks, catcher with power and speed that was getting some play in the OF. Definitely an intriguing skillset with C eligibility if he gets PT.

...but how is he going to get significant PT with Carson Kelly on the roster? 

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I’m thinking he will get 2 starts a week at catcher and is also viable in the outfield and DH. Lamb needs to be benched for Cron or Varsho immediately.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

Is Varsho replacing Kelly? Who gets more ABs going forward?

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

DH or 1B or OF.  Hopefully he will get a chance to get a few starts at catcher but hard as a 3rd catcher unless Vogt gets traded or DFA'ed.  Kelly is obviously going nowhere.  Varsho's value as a catcher is if he can re-qualify next year for same and meet the minimum requirements of starts on your fantasy platform.  So if he becomes the 2nd catcher on the team as he plays far far more games at 1B or the outfield, he is golden that way.  But Vogt blocks him from that #2 spot for now.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Would you guys consider him a top-12 C right now? Top-24?

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Would you guys consider him a top-12 C right now? Top-24?

Top 5 closer ROS

• Haha 1

Lovullo said they brought him up to "inject offense" into their stagnant .202 team avg...

Sounds like he's going to play...if he rakes then he'll stay on the grass...

Scooped.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Got a pinch hit last night in the bottom of the 9th down 3 runs and drew a walk in his first big league AB. I'm not saying he's the most disciplined young hitter of all time, but he's the most disciplined young hitter of all time. Maybe ever.

Guessing he will get his first start tonight, curious if they stick him anywhere other than DH for now.

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, KrunK said:

Got a pinch hit last night in the bottom of the 9th down 3 runs and drew a walk in his first big league AB. I'm not saying he's the most disciplined young hitter of all time, but he's the most disciplined young hitter of all time. Maybe ever.

Guessing he will get his first start tonight, curious if they stick him anywhere other than DH for now.

I've actually followed Varsho for a long time here in the minors (he's actually one of my PC's for sports cards haha)

He is extremely talented and easily overlooked. He will more than likely split time at the C position, playing any of the 3 OF positions, and I know that he's worked a little at playing 1B as well. I think we could see by seasons end, him having (C, 1B, OF) eligibility. 

In a full 162-game season, he seems destined to become a 15/15 kind of guy.....280+ BA, 15 HR, 10-15 SB. 

I'm grabbing him, Kelly has not looked good and I think once they start playing Varsho and start seeing those quality ABs and athleticism, they're going to be playing him a lot more.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I'm grabbing him, Kelly has not looked good and I think once they start playing Varsho and start seeing those quality ABs and athleticism, they're going to be playing him a lot more.

[...] I'm very intrigued by the amount of ABs he could receive. Kelly sits about every 2 or 3 games, Varsho could literally have double the ABs. But I need to make my decision by the end of the weekend.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

7 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

[...] I'm very intrigued by the amount of ABs he could receive. Kelly sits about every 2 or 3 games, Varsho could literally have double the ABs. But I need to make my decision by the end of the weekend.

He actually kind of reminds me of a young and way more athletic Miguel Montero, who coincidentally played for the Dbacks as well. 

Short stature, compact swing. Kinda has medium pop (15-20 HR kinda power). But his ability to Steal Bases is where the real value is at.

Posted (edited)

not starting tonight yet they go with Ildemaro Vargas???, Vogt!!!, and Lamb (barf)---smh.

Edited by WTP333
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

not starting tonight yet they go with Ildemaro Vargas???, Vogt!!!, and Lamb (barf)---smh.

Yea seriously...I guess there's a new way Luvollo found where Varsho can inject offense into this lineup from the bench...🙄...still I'm holdin and prayin the Snakes wanta win i.e. let the young man play!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CORTEz said:

I've actually followed Varsho for a long time here in the minors (he's actually one of my PC's for sports cards haha)

He is extremely talented and easily overlooked. He will more than likely split time at the C position, playing any of the 3 OF positions, and I know that he's worked a little at playing 1B as well. I think we could see by seasons end, him having (C, 1B, OF) eligibility. 

In a full 162-game season, he seems destined to become a 15/15 kind of guy.....280+ BA, 15 HR, 10-15 SB. 

Yeah I'm a Dbacks fan so I've been following him through as well. 15/15 almost feels like it could be his floor as well. He went 18/21 in AA last year in only 108 games which would be a 27/32 pace over 162. I don't think the speed will translate to that degree, but he certainly has the tools to flirt with a 25/20 season at some point. Excited to see how he pans out! 

Edited by KrunK

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Parents named their kid Daulton and he ended up as a big league catcher. What are there odds?

His dad is ex-MLBer Gary Varsho who I think played with Dutch. Mightve been steered that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KrunK said:

Yeah I'm a Dbacks fan so I've been following him through as well. 15/15 almost feels like it could be his floor as well. He went 18/21 in AA last year in only 108 games which would be a 27/32 pace over 162. I don't think the speed will translate to that degree, but he certainly has the tools to flirt with a 25/20 season at some point. Excited to see how he pans out! 

As a Dback fan, what are your feelings about how much he'll play catcher. Do you think he'll get enough games to maintain C eligibility in Yahoo and ESPN and CBS next year?