Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

After posting ERAs of 5.37, 4.19, and 6.75 the last 3 seasons, who would’ve guessed Edinson Volquez would still suck? Apparently it’s still news to the Rangers manager who is still trying to pass this scrub off as closer. (My apologies to all Edinson Volquez supporters). 

35 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Buttrey might have a shot at a four-out save. 

I could have guaranteed you that Buttrey would get the save opp tonight (after giving up runs in four of his first five outings) because of course I cut him earlier in the day. My bad for not tipping everyone off -- would have been free saves all around on me.

• Haha 1

Any insights in NYM? Diaz seems to be getting an unfair shake to me, only blew 1 save right to a solo hr? Had a good outing last night In an inning of work hopefully Can work back in? I invested in him and am frustrated 

1 minute ago, cyberer said:

Any insights in NYM? Diaz seems to be getting an unfair shake to me, only blew 1 save right to a solo hr? Had a good outing last night In an inning of work hopefully Can work back in? I invested in him and am frustrated 

See exhibit A; one Edwin Diaz’ body of work c. 2019 

1 minute ago, 80version said:

See exhibit A; one Edwin Diaz’ body of work c. 2019 

Right, but new season. Not like we can’t point to other relievers past struggles in that pen 

16 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Right, but new season. Not like we can’t point to other relievers past struggles in that pen 

The leash was extremely short on Diaz coming in, and he’s struggled again. He got the first save but blew the next. And the next outing he allowed 3 baserunners in 1/3 of an inning. In a 60-game season, the leash isn’t going to be long at all. Who cares if it’s “fair” or not. If he wanted to keep his job, he should have pitched better. And if he wants it back, then he needs to pitch better. Last night was a start. 

Any thoughts on Yency Almonte getting a save last night?  Estevez and Diaz don't seem like locks to be a concrete closer, does this guy have a shot at some saves?  Numbers weren't great last year (nor have they really looked great in the minors), but he's off to a great start so far.

1 hour ago, cizastro said:

Any thoughts on Yency Almonte getting a save last night?  Estevez and Diaz don't seem like locks to be a concrete closer, does this guy have a shot at some saves?  Numbers weren't great last year (nor have they really looked great in the minors), but he's off to a great start so far.

Diaz had pitched 4/5 games and got up in the pen on the day he didn’t enter the game. Bud Black has always wanted 1 closer and I believe it is Diaz. Estevez & Yency are both solid arms who will get holds and the occasional save. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Diaz had pitched 4/5 games and got up in the pen on the day he didn’t enter the game. Bud Black has always wanted 1 closer and I believe it is Diaz. Estevez & Yency are both solid arms who will get holds and the occasional save. 

I agree with this. I'd only glance Almonte's way if Diaz was struggling. Diaz just wasn't ready to pitch last night.

Chapman stuff:

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Wednesday that he doesn't expect Aroldis Chapman (COVID-19) to be activated "anytime soon."

Chapman resumed throwing regular bullpen sessions this week, but the Yankees don't want to rush him after he missed all of summer camp following a COVID-19 diagnosis in early July. Zack Britton will continue to serve as the primary closer for New York until Chapman is ready to rock. It could be another week or so.

Source: Bryan Hoch on Twitter         Aug 5, 2020, 2:37 PM ET

9 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Cardinals just announced that they are shifting Kim into the rotation....

I'm assuming this means Gallegos is the guy, but I grabbed Helsey just in case. Maybe CMart when he's back off the Covid list as well.

Edited by JameisofThrones
4 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Cards will go CBC for the time being.  Also FWIW they called up/activated Anthony Reyes as well to add to their BP.  I just can't quit that guy. 

Who? you mean Alex Reyes?

• Haha 1