urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

Just now, Ecofolux said:

Not really a fan, he could be useful but he doesn't have the stuff to close. The announcers for the Astros today were talking about how Blake Taylor was Dusty Baker's boy and his "go to guy" to get out of trouble. Scrubb is behind Taylor in the pecking order.

If he's "his boy" then why didn't he close tonight? Qu'est-ce que c'est? 

1 minute ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

And he too, like Pressly, couldn’t get out of trouble 

Pressly created his own trouble.....

1 minute ago, Ecofolux said:

His performance wasn't great but he was put in an awful situation to clean up Sneed's mess. Can't really blame him too much

This has to be Blake Taylor's burner account right? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Of course I snagged Pressly this morning

Idiot Sandwich GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

If it makes you feel better I've been holding him for a week waiting for him to get a chance. I guess we're idiot deli buddies...

• Like 2

Pressly will get the next chance. He is the veteran of the bullpen. He has a track record and we all know Dusty Baker favors the veteran guys. Now if he blows the next one like tonight, then I can see them moving to a committee.

Just now, HaloFanatic17 said:

Pressly will get the next chance. He is the veteran of the bullpen. He has a track record and we all know Dusty Baker favors the veteran guys. Now if he blows the next one like tonight, then I can see them moving to a committee.

100%, was just about to say this. He looked okay, but not too sharp. Definitely rusty. Decent stuff but missing locations...from the walk to the couple hits. No cookies (iirc) but lots of misses.

3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

If he's "his boy" then why didn't he close tonight? Qu'est-ce que c'est? 

Because Taylor was his go-to guy to get out of trouble. Just telling you what I heard man. Sorry for mentioning him 70 times, just trying to help

1 minute ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I think everyone needs to take a deep breathe and go back and look at Ryan Pressly's numbers in 2019 and 2018. 

• Like 1

Deep breathe or no, something doesn’t appear to be right with Pressly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

This has to be Blake Taylor's burner account right? 

Nope. Just a fan who actually watched the game rather than look at numbers from last year or two years ago and say "he was good then so he will be good now!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Pressly needs to be given a longer leash than 0.2 innings.  I mean... seriously people.

I love this thread. 

Lol, it's understandable given 1) the nature of this season 2) the nature of how many other teams are dealing with similar issues and thus stoking the fires on this thread and 3) how quickly top relievers turn over and older players lose their stuff and just can't cut it anymore. I certainly hope you're right, though, and I tend to agree, but he's going to have a lot of pressure on him next time out.

I do think Taylor is easily a favorite over Scrubb to take the job if Pressly struggles again and/or (ugh) gives into some sort of ailment. I mean, would you want some guy named Scrubb closing for you?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Pressly needs to be given a longer leash than 0.2 innings.  I mean... seriously people.

I love this thread. 

I agree with some of the sentiment above. First - your point (bolded): He had 0.2 BEFORE he did what he "did" tonight. Those 0.2 were not terribly impressive BTW.

Next - he is not 100%. Pressly is a top-shelf reliever ordinarily but at present he is only healthy enough to play - not excel to the level we are accustomed to seeing. 

The season is 60 games - a little more than a 3rd of normal. Pressly seems closer to the IL than the time it will take to "figure things out". HOU has a pennant to win - in 60 games.

All I'm saying is if Pressly comes out and Ks three dudes in 12 pitches for a shut-down save it'll be crickets here.  Baseball players aren't machines; they need time to figure things out.  Yes it's a shortened season but this isn't some rando sub for Osuna, it's one of the most dominant relievers the past 300+ games.  Give the dude a chance.

• Like 2

Anyone have any clarification on how Santander's "infield single" was actually a hit (MIA/BAL)? I was watching live w/the sound down and that ball was booted up in the air at least 10 feet by whatever scrub was supposed to be "playing" it. I guess I could have "seen it wrong" plus it was in MIA - no hometown scoring.

3 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

All I'm saying is if Pressly comes out and Ks three dudes in 12 pitches for a shut-down save it'll be crickets here.  Baseball players aren't machines; they need time to figure things out.  Yes it's a shortened season but this isn't some rando sub for Osuna, it's one of the most dominant relievers the past 300+ games.  Give the dude a chance.

I'm a Pressly fan as well and I hope you're right actually. Obviously "we shall see".

48 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I love this thread. 

If he's having elbow problems, no he doesn't. I have zero shares of the Houston bullpen, but if his elbow isn't right (or something else isn't right), he needs to be given the hook sooner than later in a very shortened season. This isn't April...this is August. Everything is accelerated, even hooks. 

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Anyone have any clarification on how Santander's "infield single" was actually a hit (MIA/BAL)? I was watching live w/the sound down and that ball was booted up in the air at least 10 feet by whatever scrub was supposed to be "playing" it. I guess I could have "seen it wrong" plus it was in MIA - no hometown scoring.

It was in Baltimore with the Marlins playing as the home team (due to COVID schedule change), but IRCC scoring is being done remotely this year anyways. I agree, it was a garbage mis-scoring. I watched live too, didn't even realize it was ruled a hit until I read the blurb on Kintzler and I was like 'hmm, he didn't give up that many hits??' 

The ball wasn't hit that hard, Aguilar just played it mid hop and it ate him up. That's an error every time. Guarantee if you asked Aguilar he'd say the same thing.

I dropped Robles to get Pressly and now feel like I'm cursed.  Blowups in the 9th will continue to haunt this draft spot for eternity.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BMcP said:

Deep breathe or no, something doesn’t appear to be right with Pressly.

I think he just needs a little less conversation and a little more action. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cizastro said:

I dropped Robles to get Pressly and now feel like I'm cursed.  Blowups in the 9th will continue to haunt this draft spot for eternity.

Better find a dead chicken and some rum