Rotoworld.com Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Does this mean Anderson will close more consistently.

I don't think there's any way to more than speculate on this but it does seem to be a little bit of addition by subtraction, eh?

A sleeper in the Angels bullpen is Félix Peña.

The move to the bullpen increased the velocity on his sinker by 2 ticks.  

Has a wipeout slider and a good changeup as well.

• Like 6
21 hours ago, B&F said:

Yep, and with his SP eligibility(in Yahoo at least) he's a nice target for S+HLD leagues.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Is Taylor Williams as close as SEA will get to a closer? Even the Non closing spots have been to face the meat of the lineup.

Carl Edwards is possible and they have Hirano close to returning. 

As far as SP/RPs that can get either HLD/S, who do you guys like more? Blake Taylor or Felix Pena? They look to be in similar situations, just seeing if anyone will go out on a limb for either.

23 hours ago, B&F said:

Robles struck out the side and hit 97 yesterday. I think he’ll have a good shot to be the 9th inning guy again 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Right Hirano has been the narrative up to this point.  Hirano has barely any swing and miss I can't see it.  Plus the manager never gave him the role or even an indication that he was lead dog.  Everyone just defaulted on that because there was no one else locked in.

Edwards is interesting he looked filthy in that save.

10 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Right Hirano has been the narrative up to this point.  Hirano has barely any swing and miss I can't see it.  Plus the manager never gave him the role or even an indication that he was lead dog.  Everyone just defaulted on that because there was no one else locked in.

Don't forget Austin Adams is coming back this week. Probably the best arm in that bullpen 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I have Hirano stashed on IL on one of my teams and don't have high expectations because as has been mentioned Williams has established himself pretty well, Edwards probably has better stuff and Adams will be back as well to figure into the mix. But would have to disagree with the barely any swing and miss analysis. He did have a K/9 rate of 10.36 last year. Certainly not elite, but not bad either.

1 hour ago, ryno1980 said:

Well you can put that theory on hold now:

Mariners placed RHP Carl Edwards Jr. on the 10-day injured list with a right forearm strain.

No word yet on the severity of the injury, but obviously the calendar moves quickly this season. Edwards had a 1.93 ERA in five appearances and even picked up a save last week.

Source: Lauren Smith on Twitter             Aug 10, 2020, 2:08 PM ET

48 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I have Hirano stashed on IL on one of my teams and don't have high expectations because as has been mentioned Williams has established himself pretty well, Edwards probably has better stuff and Adams will be back as well to figure into the mix. But would have to disagree with the barely any swing and miss analysis. He did have a K/9 rate of 10.36 last year. Certainly not elite, but not bad either.

Good point about K rate and swk does back it up.  More an eye test thing really - and if that splitter isn't working he has nothing else.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Pomeranz coming in for the save opp

I love this.  He doesn't care about what Yates has done in the past.  Pom is his best reliever right now.

Yates reportedly with general body aches.  Could pitch tomorrow..

Manager Jayce Tingler said after Monday's game that Yates has "soreness in his body," AJ Cassavell of MLB.com reports. However, Tingler said there's still a "great chance [Yates]'ll be in there" for the next save opportunity.

Edited by TheNephilim
  • Like 2