urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

5 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Uh oh. Do I need to start figuring out who the guy is behind Neris?

David Robertson?

Just looked at 3 different closer sites and all 3 had different guys for the “next in line” behind neris..lol

like I said, glad he has a nice leash

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Lugo gives it up in the bottom half, accomplishing two things -- gifting me a Neris win and keeping me convinced to hang on to Diaz.

Edited by JameisofThrones

Workman getting some work = destroyed ratios

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, David Aames said:

i wanna pick up romano but isnt giles due back soon?

have seen a lot of talk that he is

13 minutes ago, David Aames said:

i wanna pick up romano but isnt giles due back soon?

4 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

have seen a lot of talk that he is

The report I saw was that he "played catch today". Sounds like he is trying to come back but isn't particularly close. I know closers take less time to ramp back up but I have to think he is at the absolute minimum two weeks away and I'd even say three would be optimistic. Which at that point is half of the rest of the season. If he is healthy sooner than later they may try to deal him, and if it is on the later side they may just decide to shut it down. 

in short, Giles may still be a factor, but it wouldn't scare me off Romano if you think he is the guy, as has been suggested by some quality info on the board tonight.

Usage info for the Rockies -- Bard in the eighth of a 2-2 game (gave up a run) and Jairo in the ninth with a 3-2 deficit (scoreless inning)

*And no Montero as Lance Lynn goes for the rare Coors complete game

• Like 1

Usage info for Cubs -- down 4-3 against Brewer going into 9th, had both Jeffress and Kimbrel warming. It does seem like Wick is getting to be more of a lock to be the guy for save opportunities, with Jeffress handling biggest leverage situations and Kimbrel on the track back to getting his feet under him.

Kimbrel just finished the inning, he walked one but his stuff was absolutely there for the first time in a while. Good hook with rising 96-98 mph fastball, struck out 2 of 3.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

The report I saw was that he "played catch today". Sounds like he is trying to come back but isn't particularly close. I know closers take less time to ramp back up but I have to think he is at the absolute minimum two weeks away and I'd even say three would be optimistic. Which at that point is half of the rest of the season. If he is healthy sooner than later they may try to deal him, and if it is on the later side they may just decide to shut it down. 

in short, Giles may still be a factor, but it wouldn't scare me off Romano if you think he is the guy, as has been suggested by some quality info on the board tonight.

what about Bass?

Kimbrel looked better, fastball hitting 98 a couple times in his first scoreless inning. Pitching with a one-run deficit in the 9th. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a save chance next week if he has another outing like that this weekend. 

• Like 1

Yates walks off with the trainer after one batter. Great.

8 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

I guess we will get to settle the Pomeranz debate after all....

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

If you were scraping the bottom of the barrel with Trevor Gott, you just got torched. Ouch.

Crawford really messed up not securing that forceout, but then Gott was absolutely shooting himself in the foot when he his Khrush Davis. Can't load the bases for one of the most clutch players of all time.

3 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

Doesn't sound promising:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Does Robles or Kimbel have any chance of regaining their jobs?

Yes, they both do. Robles has looked much better in his past 2 outings and his velocity is returning nicely. I’ve been predicting he gets the next save chance for the Angels. Kimbrel is a little trickier because he hasn’t been good in a while. Drafting Kimbrel with all his red flags was a mistake but dropping him now would be compounding it. If I owned him I’d tuck him away on my bench for a little longer b/c I think the Cubs want him in the ninth and will give him another shot soon.

• Like 1

This is why Saves+Holds is better.  You get to keep Britton in those leagues.

Aroldis Chapman (COVID-19) could be back as the Yankees' closer as soon as Sunday, MLB.com's Bryan Hoch suggests.

Chapman threw 25 pitches to live hitters at the Yankees' alternate training site Friday, and it sounds as though Saturday will be a big day for deciding whether he's ready to be activated. Upon activation, Hoch seems to expect the southpaw to slide right back into the ninth inning, even though Zack Britton has been terrific and owns a league-leading seven saves in Chapman's absence. It's certainly a situation worth watching, as Britton's fantasy value tanks if he's not getting those saves. Stay tuned.

Source: Yankees.mlb.com                Aug 15, 2020, 8:49 AM ET