urban2014

2020 August Closer Thread

13 hours ago, meh2 said:

Wow, thanks for the lazy rebuttal. Have you seen him pitch this year? I’m guessing no. Here’s some reading material for you and maybe you could do a little more research than googling his minor league stats.

So, yes, with the elite fastball/slider combo he’s showing this year I’d say for a guy just sitting there on waiver wires he has enormous upside.

Yeah let's just look at a two week sample size and ignore his ENTIRE career when evaluating him. That makes perfect sense. Recency bias much?  

8 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Recency bias much? 

I'd have to say that for pitching, recency bias is fine. It's all about the now, especially is this short season. I mean the season is already a 1/3 done! Gotta go with the hot hand...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Gott got got. 

Classic kapler. Willfully refusing to use his best reliever (who pitched a scoreless 8th) to close out games. It’s easy to be the smartest guy in the room when no one wants to be in a room with you for a reason.

who’s the guy in SD? Pom got lit up lately IIRC

3 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Classic kapler. Willfully refusing to use his best reliever (who pitched a scoreless 8th) to close out games. It’s easy to be the smartest guy in the room when no one wants to be in a room with you for a reason.

who’s the guy in SD? Pom got lit up lately IIRC

You definitely don't remember correctly. I'm not a Pomeranz fan and am skeptical that he will succeed in the closer role if he is the guy, but he has yet to give up a run and has been generally fantastic this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This is why Saves+Holds is better.  You get to keep Britton in those leagues.

If you were able to draft Britton. And it’s still a matter of opinion, which is one of the great things about fantasy :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

I'd have to say that for pitching, recency bias is fine. It's all about the now, especially is this short season. I mean the season is already a 1/3 done! Gotta go with the hot hand...

Especially with relief pitchers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Yeah let's just look at a two week sample size and ignore his ENTIRE career when evaluating him. That makes perfect sense. Recency bias much?  

Feel free to leave him on your waiver wire until he gets another 50 or 100 innings, but I like what I see and he appears to have the 9th inning, so I’m trusting my instincts and grabbing him everywhere. Good luck with Bass.

As a Wick owner, I don't like this. Kimbrel owners obviously might....

Ross on Kimbrel: the data tells us what our eyes told us. Uptick and rise on FB, all feedback positive

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Ross on Kimbrel: the data tells us what our eyes told us. Uptick and rise on FB, all feedback positive

Give Kimbrel a few outings and he will be back to "downticking" and imploding.  He can't sustain it consistently anymore.  The big contract is the only reason there will be pressure to trot him back out there in the short term.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I just want to say Pomeranz has been a complete MVP for me this season as a SP/RP Holds/Saves guy. He is legit and can succeed in a permanent closers role.

Pomeranz right now may be my favorite fantasy player ❤️

6 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Pomeranz right now may be my favorite fantasy player ❤️

He is also a very handsome man 

Posted (edited)

Before everyone jumps on the Pomeranz bandwagon, even putting my concerns about him aside, the Padres do have Emilio Pagan in the pen. Yes, his numbers look ugly right now but he has thrown four straight scoreless innings without a hit allowed (one walk), has closing experience from last year and they gave up a legit guy in Renfroe to get him so they clearly like him. At the least, this could be a committee.

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dfstout said:

I've Gott to believe it was a fluke!

I don't think so. The peripherals were screaming ugly days ahead. I don't expect him to melt down every outing, but I think more blowups are a virtual guarantee. He's never been more than a middling guy at best. If you're desperate for saves I understand you've sometimes gott to play with fire, but I didn't want him and still don't. I think he's getting replaced this year.

Two guys I'm buying on the cheap are Edwin Diaz and Kimbrel. I was in on Diaz but moved on shortly after he melted down. But he's quietly been putting together a nice little run the last couple weeks. Since August started he's pitched in 6 games, going 6 innings with no runs, 4 hits, 12 strikeouts, and 1 walk. Nobody else in the bullpen has laid claim to the closer role, and with Lugo blowing it last night I feel Edwin could get another shot sooner rather than later.

Kimbrel is a guy I didn't want to touch this season, and felt his early struggles justified my opinions. Last night he came out firing 97 regularly. I'm not sure where the hell that came from or if maybe the gun was just running hot, but it's very interesting. If he's on the wire I'm picking him up while he's free. If - granted a big if - that velocity has suddenly come back, we've got ourselves a guy with elite upside on a good team and a manager who would love to give him the role.

I'm also buying Hansel Robles. He's another guy whose velocity has suddenly come back and has been putting up a nice run the last several outings while the other bullpen guys have failed to lock down the role.

• Like 1

The Diaz thing is confounding. He looked great in his first opportunity, then was one strike away from back-to-back saves when Ozuna took him deep -- opposite field on a pretty decent fastball on the outer half. He followed up that with his only really shaky performance, allowing one run on a hit and two walks and getting pulled after only getting one out in a non-save situation against the Red Sox (came in with Mets down 3-2 in the ninth).

Since then: 6 IP, 0 ER, 4H, 1 BB, 12K. Albeit in various degrees of leverage. I don't really understand the quick hook to begin with, and no one has dazzled at the back end since he was demoted.

Free Edwin...

• Like 1

Gallegos in for the Cardinals in the bottom of the 6th with a 4 run lead

1 hour ago, JameisofThrones said:

I feel you, but Wick has also been really good and hasn't done anything to warrant a 'demotion' while Kimbrel has had literally ONE good outing where his stuff was actually there. It'll take more than that to move Kimbrel back into a spot where he failed and move Wick out of a spot where he's succeeded. If the Cubs can get Kimbrel pitching well in the 7th and 8th in tight games, they're going to be happy with that as long as Wick and Jeffress are holding their jobs well. I'd worry more about Wick's so-so arsenal leading to a couple tough outings and then making a change more than Kimbrel doing well. 

Posted (edited)

White Sox had 2-3-4 in the sixth, so I wonder if it was a matchup thing for Gallegos in a 7 inning game? Just a thought. Gant and Reyes warming for the seventh. 

Edited by Caelum
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

Helsely is on IL; Gallegos in sixth.    Miller?  Couldn't be Reyes yet could it?

With all the games and doubleheaders the Cards will play, the coach can't really go with one guy. He needs to use his pitchers quite often, and can't wait for a possible save chance.

Edited by JCD
  • Like 3

It's their first game back, guys need game action. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

• Like 2

I think that Shildt had indicated when they shifted KIm to the rotation that out would be a committee, and I think with the number of games and doubleheaders the Cardinals are going to have to play they will probably need multiple guys in the role anyway. After striking out the side, I'm sure Gallegos will be in the mix, but that situation might be a mess.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, aapox said:

It's their first game back, guys need game action. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Partly true, but they play a doubleheader today. The fact the Cards went right to Gallegos with a 4 run lead and everyone rested can't be a great sign that they'd burn him early and not reserve him for a more high leverage situation (either later in Game 1 or for Game 2). 

• Like 1